Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#1081   ^
Old Thu, Feb-07-19, 18:32

Plan: General LC
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 90%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaz66

“Don’t let yesterday use up too much of today.” ―Will Rogers

“This is a wonderful day, I have never seen this one before.” ―Maya Angelou

Love these! Thank you!
Sponsored Links
  #1082   ^
Old Fri, Feb-08-19, 00:03

Plan: My own
Stats: 238/187/175 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress:

Hi all,

Nic---So good to see you back, even though it was only a minute you were gone, still missed you.

And yeah, those well loved and sometimes darlin' "arseholes" of ours! Let me just tell you girl, our worst years w/our oppositional offspring were exactly the age you are going thru now. UGH,---in fact I would say scarring, LOL, if I wasn't a tough enough mom to eventually say, like you did, OK, we'll move on past this. And we went thru some stuff in those days that would curl your lashes I think. Yeah, maybe a chat about this in Charleston. So good to know we are not alone. Even the best loved kids can be really tough.

BUT, the thing about well loved kids, is they come around---they have a warm fire called home love they rely on while they trip the light naughty, and ironically that's just what makes them feel safe to do so. That's the good news. The bad news is, they do it in their own darn time. Sounds like you had to deal w/a lot of this w/hubby gone. That's hard, every hard. Glad he's back.

Jaz---Loved your fantasy description of Lori's injury. Don't we all wish that when we splat out it would be so glamorous.

On the job thing, sorry the latest opportunity did not come through. As an independent contractor that's the story of my professional life...again w/the pennies thing.

Meanwhile, I just have a feeling, and I stated it once before a bit ago. I think FOR NOW, you may find unexpected grace and satisfaction in this job you never wanted.

Here's the pluses I see. You are OUT of cubby world, and management world. You're applying everything you know as close to the bone as it gets---nurse to patient, AND without difficult hospital nursing hours and staff. You have an opportunity to forge relationships w/patients/clients, to have a one on one influence on them, or simply to care for them the best you can---can't think of a more potentially satisfying situation in some ways. Or one better suited to your talents, your warmth, humor and intelligence. FOR NOW.

All at the the same salary you were getting back when you were dealing with the mad hair puller, sitting in a cubby, managing others rather than putting your own interpersonal skills to use, more directly to those in need---which are considerable.

Not painting blue skies where there are clouds, but also, not seeing all clouds where there could be sunshine.

Lori---can hardly believe you're on your way back home tomorrow. Good to hear you already have an appt. w/an ortho. And, it sounds like your injuries didn't interfere to much w/a nice time.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well Jaz, you got closer than usual on our forecast up here. Snowed all day, probably about 5 inches. Now we're getting another dip in the temp, baby it's cold outside!

Still, I was out and about today. Had to get some stuff done on my car, and as long as I was out, I stopped at the nearby TJ Max, looking for a few clothing pieces I could use.

Didn't get a thing, tried on a few things. This was woe motivating in the way that pouring salt in a wound motivates you not to do it again, LOL. But seriously, it really bumped me out of my denial about how much I've gained. Ain't good.

So, on plan again today, and was yesterday too. BTW, yesterday night my gal pal upstairs invited me up for chicken divan and a salad. Have I mentioned what a good cook she is? Heh, I have always attracted good cooks in my life, Both because I'm a very appreciative eater, and because I'm blessed in that way.

Anywho, hadn't had chicken divan in decades. Old fashioned recipe my mom used to make---AND, turns out it is a "divan" LC dish. Check out the various recipes on line. This is an oldie but a goodie, easy peasy to make, and very LC, as it turns out. Hers was DELISH.

So another two days back on plan after the Thai food incident, and hoping for many more, all in a row.

Last edited by Blue52 : Fri, Feb-08-19 at 00:12.
  #1083   ^
Old Fri, Feb-08-19, 03:21

Plan: LC calorie counting
Stats: 223/157.8/145 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 84%

4:15AM can't sleep. Been a rough night. Knowing we had to be up at 5 to make our flight made me restless I guess.

I have developed a big dark purple bruise on my upper arm toward the inside.... Sent my sister, the nurse a picture and she said looks like torn muscle above causing blood to pool below, hence the bruise. It's ugly for sure.

Well, I've woken hubby... Looks like we're up!

Be home around 5PM... Talk then.
  #1084   ^
Old Fri, Feb-08-19, 05:38

Plan: Zero Carb!
Stats: 234/182/170 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 81%

Nothing much doing here guys
boring as ever thru winter time

Lori sorry you got nailed so bad. I hope you improve fast when ya get home into your house and can relax a lot and let all that heal!! safe travels

HI ALL
got some stuff to handle today. working on roof on old barn. yea, darn thing needs darn work! ugh. got the backhoe out and we are doing roofing and putting in new support pole and such. 30 yrs and things tend to rot LOL
bleck

check in later ya'll
  #1085   ^
Old Fri, Feb-08-19, 09:13

Plan: KETOVORE
Stats: 234/179/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 70%

Good morning! TGIF-

NIC- Your dinner with the family sounded cozy! I have had the cali casserole it is delish. Of course it had dairy which made it so frekin good! But for you who can have it, it is a great substitute for Mac and cheese! I wouldn't miss it at all!
It is hard when you are used to having the hubby home to have him gone so much I am sure. I liked it when I had the family sit down for dinner! Those are some of my favorite memories of the kids growing up. Then of course was sports!
Your CASA assignment sound a little tough this time around! I am hopeful you will be able to work your magic! If any one can it would be you!

The dark and looming man.......Yes I am reading my first romance novel in the last few years. Mostly what I have read is all for either school or learning. This novel is just for fun. Been awhile sine I have been able to do that. So I have been adding commentary as I go along in the story! There is always the brooding / looming / dark and scraggly guy that turns into the prince! But lest not forget the first kiss, followed by the first fight- then longing and happy ever after! Yup- predictable. But hey what the heck- sure beats a school book right now.

LORI- - Yes, Nic is right- had you been lounging in a chair with a tall drink you never would have had an injury. We will help you with this in Charleston!!!!!
Honesty though- it sorta sucks and I am glad you are having it looked at. Bruises will fade! Any idea how long you will need to have it wrapped? They are talking surgery are they? Please keep us posted! Safe travels home!

TRIG- OMG, barn work! Makes me happy I have a dime stamp lot. I know there is so much to do on property that big. I am so not the farm gal type! This brought back a funny story- so who my son was about 13 he was into HAM Radios- (still is). But he joined a HAM club and the host was having a BARN PARTY out on their grounds. Everyone was supposed to bring their radios and play for the day. They had a big spit they were roasting a pig on and the entire gig going. It was a large working DAIRY farm, with animals. So I was dropping off my son (yes I trusted the adults) for the farm party. I show up in HEELS and a SKIRT and a designer handbag. Promptly got out of my kiddy van and stepped in cow manure. I was APPALLED. GROSS!!!!!! The rest of everyone else had on overalls and jeans and flannel. Yes- I did not stay and drove home with my windows down the entire way home! I am not farm gal! And the looks I got while I was there.......... Yeah..............

Anyway- your barn reminded me of that. Have you ever through a BARN PARTY? I hear they are the rage now!!!! People are even getting married in them! God love 'em.
At least sunshine and cool temps back for us!

BLUE-- I know my voice of reason most times. I should take the lemons and make lemonade. Most times I do. I will hang with my patients and give them what they deserve a caring and concerned advocate on their behalf. It is not their fault I was lied to. They do not deserve the brunt of displaced anger towards big corporation and lack of caring towards employees. No I won't do that- not my style.
These patients are the most fragile. They are a dual population- meaning they are both Medicare and Medicaid. = elderly and very sick and mostly home bound and low income. Just that alone is a huge challange for a senior- then add big Pharma, big Insurance, and doctors that don't speak their language and it's rough.

I just loved the job I HAD- and I am still grieving it. I know I should just GET OVER IT. I am still employed and making the same pay for less stress. But I did LOVE what I was doing. I believed in it. Until I found out it was a lie. I think that is the thing. I thought what I was doing was important- but it really wasn't in the big scope of things. I see that now. I feel duped and betrayed. Yes I have a paycheck and the opportunity to teach and make a difference - so I SHOULD stop belly aching.
Plus they took away my CHOICE to go back to school. I think that is the crux- MY CHOICES were made for me. Like choices were made for you. Didn't matter how good your prior work was. Some bean counter high up cut your job- boom- gone. Ya grieve it. You weren't even consulted or given the opportunity to speak for yourself.
All the blood sweat and tears that had gone into your work didn't matter. Boils down to budget. It sucks- across the board! And I know you are just as good as when you were busy as can be. But when you are given a gut punch like that- it is hard to see a silver lining for a while. There does have to be that - "new normal". Granted our situations are different, yet they are similar. Choice was taken and our work was not even considered.
I am thankful you had some resources to pull from and you are in a good spot $$. I would be homeless if I didn't have a paycheck. It is not about money. - but I know you know what I am talking about. Anyway- I will make the best of my new normal until another door opens. I may be here for a reason and that ONE patient that really needs me.

I wrestled with the same thing when I lost the grant funding in Greenville, and was out of a job. It was less painful though because I went into the position knowing that could most likely happen. I understood that from the beginning. I got 3 years of being able to live on just one of my paychecks and saved the other one for just in case. So when it came- I was ok- I saw it coming. - While I was there though I know there were 2 patients I still think of even now that I will carry with me.
They made me a better nurse and person. I was with one from the beginning. She was a type one diabetic. I became part of her family. She was 31 and African American- her family didn't trust the "system". I gained their trust and they knew I truly had their daughters best interest at heart. I was invited to their home, they offered me what they had so little of- food and water. I visited her while she was in the hospital- several times a week-and accompanied her to her Endo appts. I called her every other day.

She was getting sicker and sicker and sicker. She needed a transplant - insurance would not pay. So I went to the surgeon and took her files and showed up in his office and told him her story. He agreed to do the surgery for free. He also had the hospital waive the surgery charge as well. Everything was set.
When I showed up at her home to tell her the great news her family was jumping up and down. She looked at me square in the eye and thank me at giving her a shot for a normal life. She also had 2 babies under 5. She lived with her mother because she was too sick to care for them.

Surgery was scheduled for the next week. I saw her on a Thurs. I will never forget it. I told her I would be there before she went into surgery.
On Monday morning about 2 am I got a call from the ICU - she had taken a turn for the worse and was in a coma on a vent- just like that. Then she had a massive seizure that killed her. the family was screaming for me to come in and EXPLAIN!!!!!-
The hospital wanted to remove the vent since there was no brain activity. The family thought the hospital was lying to them. It was a horrible thing. But had I not been there and walked them through that situation they would have carried a different picture of what happened. She had drinks that night, followed by ice-cream and forgot her insulin.

She was brittle, and had a seizure at home too. She had been on the floor too long before she was found. It was a tragic accident. She was celebrating and just forgot her meds.
Did it have a happy ending no. But I know I made a difference. They knew that not everybody in the "system" was out to get them. The patient trusted me too. I went to her funeral. What did I learn?

That as a nurse - people need advocates when they are the most sick. Not only that- for those that society might kick to the curb- they need that voice of fairness as well.
Would I do it again- YUP! There are tons of people just like her out there.
So I will suck it up and see who needs me on this assignment. I have really written a book on your post. It was therapeutic- thanks!

I am glad you are back on your WOE!!!!! - Nothing like a dressing room you knock you back on track!!!!- THIS I KNOW too well!
-----------------------------------------------------------------
I have ribs for the oven. It will be good, because yesterday we were 80 degrees and I was sunning myself- today is sweater weather and ribs, 53 high.

Thought for the day: (I like these)

"Nothing is impossible says the word itself: I'm possible"- author unknown

Last edited by Jaz66 : Fri, Feb-08-19 at 09:25.
  #1086   ^
Old Fri, Feb-08-19, 17:20

BF:

Hello,

We got home about 4:15 this afternoon. Trip was ok..poor DH had to tote and carry for me all day. We could not sit together from Atlanta to Baltimore and I was in a middle seat with a very large young woman sitting on me. She tried to be in her own seat, but she was over 6 ft tall and 350-400 lbs. Thank goodness the guy in the window seat was small.

I'm really struggling to get comfortable. I had to take the bandage off my elbow to let the abrasion get some air and it keeps rubbing against something and makes me howl! It was easy to let it out in the air in Key West, but not so much here when I'm cold and want to wear a sweatshirt!

Can't type too well because of the angle of my laptop desk, so will keep this short. Glad to be home, but miss the warm weather!

Later!
  #1087   ^
Old Fri, Feb-08-19, 17:44

BF:

Thank goodness your home!!!!!! Hope you get some much needed rest!
  #1088   ^
Old Fri, Feb-08-19, 21:03

BF:
Progress:

Wrote a post here tonight, not here. Kind of like our reservations, LOL. Perhaps mercury is in retrograde?! Anywho, too tired to re-write post, but just want credit for doing it, I was here!
  #1089   ^
Old Fri, Feb-08-19, 21:06

BF:
Progress:

Oh---the only thing I WILL re-write is a suggestion to Lori. Do you have an old sweat shirt that you could cut a hole in the elbow in? This way the rest of you stays warm. Yeah, no doubt all your injuries are going to be more vexing w/out the ocean and the sun and the Pina Coladas!
  #1090   ^
Old Fri, Feb-08-19, 21:18

BF:

Lori- fix the issue with RUM-
  #1091   ^
Old Sat, Feb-09-19, 07:57

BF:

Check email- I am sure we are good!

Good Saturday morning. So I did start looking at Folly last night too! I would love to be a few feet from the beach too! I don't mind going places by myself- I do all the time. Well me and the dogger. I am thinking a AM/PM beach walk for 3 days will be the cure for anything, coupled with a splash of rum and a sparkling water and some Buffett music for a few days! I will be in high spirits for the rest of the trip!

Had a great walk yesterday - plan to get one in again today. Even though it's a bit cool, I need to up the moving more! It felt good yesterday I put in about 25 minutes. I know not a lot- but I have to start somewhere!

Did a tone of personals yesterday- see yesterdays BOOK!!!! - or skip it, I was in a rambling mood. I have the gift of gab......

TODAY IS RIB day! I need to really use them or lose them. I also have the fixings for homemade slaw. I like slaw with my ribs! I don't like sweet slaw so I make my own. I use Italian dressing and a dollop of Dukes Mayo. (Must be Dukes) and that will be it! - I did buy some sparkling coconut water and fresh limes and some Tito's Texas Vodka that has my name all over it!

Going to do some internet browsing today and laundry. Might put on the fire- as it has gotten cold again. I flipped my pottery class to tomorrow and will have errands then. Today- nope propping up my feet and nesting in. My mother is coming over for a few minutes with a ladder. She had a really nice tall indoor/outdoor ladder. I want to crawl up on the ledge of my vaulted ceiling and see if it had a lining- or I need to buy some wood to made it flat so I can decorate it. Finally ready to put some more color and freshness into my doll house. I have yet to hang a thing except a calander I have posted up in the kitchen. Bare walls. I have had other expenses and priorities. But now for Spring I might want to look at Home Goods and get a few bold pieces for a snap of color! Maybe some tall vases for the vault ledge with baskets. I just need to measure and see over the ledge. That is my project for the day.

Also I have a little patio off my living room. I have a double hook that has a bird feeder hanging from it. Sometimes my entire backyard is filled with little birds. I need to replace the feeder and get some fresh food. I do enjoy bird watching. Can you say senior moment! I like birds and fish tanks if they are clean.
I have no desire to do a fish tank been there done that one to many times. Talk about a money suck! I will replace the bird feeder for 10 bucks!

Ok all- have a great day. Again- oops about the trip drama!

JAZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
  #1092   ^
Old Sat, Feb-09-19, 08:59

Plan: General LC
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 90%

Howdy everyone. Happy Saturday!

Blue- I like the way you said this: "Not painting blue skies where there are clouds, but also, not seeing all clouds where there could be sunshine." Very good life philosophy!

Oooh chicken divan sounds really good. I can see making it with a cheesy cream sauce and then topping it with crushed pork rinds. YUM. I think I will do that this week.

I really like the idea of Lori cutting an elbow hole out of her sweatshirt. You are full of good ideas!

Trig- Wow, you are seriously doing work with a backhoe and roofing etc. I cannot imagine. Go you! I know you are in your element when you have projects to do.

Jaz- LOL I can see you showing up at a barn party all dressed up in heels!

Thanks for sharing that story about your client. Such a sad one. But glad that you were able to be such an important person and touchstone in their lives.

So NOTHING on your walls but a calendar? Yes, it is time for you to get some personality into your dollhouse!

Lori- I hope you can use Blue's sweatshirt idea!

Wow, a woman over 6 feet tall and quite large too. I bet you were a bit squished! Hang in there, friend.

••••••••

Things are good here, more settled which is welcome. DS at play practice this morning and then the three of us might go see a movie this afternoon. DD wants to go out tonight but not sure- I like a slower day when I have a busy one the next day and Sunday is socially busy with a matinee and a meal out with another couple. Definitely need to build in quiet/down time.

Weight is good, on plan.

Xmas tree coming down today- all other Xmas stuff came down a while ago but I have greatly enjoyed the tree. It's time though and four weeks until the time change.

Not much else to report!
  #1093   ^
Old Sat, Feb-09-19, 15:19

BF:

Hi All,

Having a bit of a rough day here. Cat got me up at 4AM and my poor elbow is burning like fire cause the abrasion is so deep that the nerves are just right there. My sister the nurse, said to keep it covered with a non stick gauze with Neosporin on it. I thought it needed air, but she said no, to keep it covered. The knee is doing well. Healing nicely and I just keep vaseline on it to keep it from drying out.

Spent much of today feeling sorry for myself and pouting. Have to pull myself up and just get on with it. I forced myself to keep going while away and to travel home and then today I just sort of crashed. I'll be ok, but I'm sure I'll have days where I'm feeling down about the whole thing. It is what it is....I'm still so lucky as it could have been so much worse.

The icing on the cake will be if the Dr. says I need surgery or that I can't travel to Charleston. I will have a king sized fit! I'm determined to be there.

DH is going to make us burgers for dinner. Not sure what else, but I'm letting him take care of me. You know how men are...he can't see what needs to be done, but will gladly do whatever as long as I tell him what to do! I haven't unpacked our bags yet. I told him that he's going to help me with that tomorrow. I did one load of laundry today...just the clothes we wore home yesterday. Hoping to have more get up and go tomorrow.

Thanks for all your well wishes and good thoughts. Hope I have 2 good arms to hug you all with in 4 weeks!
  #1094   ^
Old Mon, Feb-11-19, 05:35

Plan: Zero Carb!
Stats: 234/182/170 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 81%

Lori I sure hope nothing hurts your chances for Charleston! That would be horrible....I hope your healing continues in good form and recovery is fast for ya. I know you don't want to be walking wounded in Charleston, lol, I know I wouldn't want that for ya!! Take it slow and easy and rest up. You have time to heal up some and be in good shape later.

hey all
forum went down

anyway, we are all set and good for Ch. I am glad it worked out well and we can all meet up in a short amt of time now!! Can't wait to see everyone. Good times coming

Nothing new here at all. Still just chilling thru the crappy weather. rain for days here now. ugh. sinus crazy as usual.

just waiting for warmer weather, all my trips to start up we got planned out and all the fun summer brings vs. this Feb weather...bleck…

nothing else to report, check in later, hope everyone is doing very well!
  #1095   ^
Old Mon, Feb-11-19, 06:31

BF:

Monday- Good morning-
I had such a fun post yesterday- but again it was another book! Today is a new day and I am short on time! Sighhhhhhhhh-

Just another Manic Monday- Wish it was Sunday- thats my fun day!"- remember that song? I use it Mon- Friday!

I see my first patient today, and one tomorrow and one on the books for Wed. The trip is going to be an hour there and hour back- I will be looking at milage too.

We have rain and fog and cool temps- not supposed to be warmer that 55 today. We have steady showers coming in. I will see how this new gig works for me. I really am not a huge fan of driving all day- hours here and there. We'll see.

Hope you are are well!
LORI- When do you see your Dr.?

I am thawing spring for a shrimp salad today- going light! I also have hard boiled eggs and bacon for a topping! I FEW tiny cherry tomatoes for crunch. That will be my meal.

Gotta run- late!!! -

Back on later
Closed Thread