Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, May-29-19, 17:14

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

That seems like a good case for "Everything In Moderation".

I drink a few 100% grass-fed whey shakes from A3 cows living in Australia per week and I haven't gained anything.

I'm on the lowest side of my normal fluctuation.

Doing some research I read that people with Chronic Kidney Disease have to limit the amount of protein they consume. Unhealthy kidneys lose the ability to remove protein waste and it starts to build up in the blood. But I haven't read anything creditable that says too much protein will cause kidney problems.

I guess it depends on what condition you are in.

Bob
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, May-30-19, 06:16

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-a-rama
That seems like a good case for "Everything In Moderation".

I drink a few 100% grass-fed whey shakes from A3 cows living in Australia per week and I haven't gained anything.

I'm on the lowest side of my normal fluctuation.

Doing some research I read that people with Chronic Kidney Disease have to limit the amount of protein they consume. Unhealthy kidneys lose the ability to remove protein waste and it starts to build up in the blood. But I haven't read anything creditable that says too much protein will cause kidney problems.

I guess it depends on what condition you are in.

Bob

Most of the "official" information on protein is that you shouldn't eat very much, because excess protein damages the kidneys, but as you found, that doesn't seem to be the real case - it seems that consuming excess carbs is what actually causes the damage. Then once the damage is done, that's when you need to limit the protein, because the kidneys can't handle much of it at that point.

Using reasonable amounts of protein powder (whether from whey protein, or some other source) shouldn't be a problem as long as your kidneys are still functioning properly. Once some damage is done, that's another story.

But that seems to be the case with so many physical problems - the ridiculous amount of carbs we're being told should be the base of our diet is the primary underlying cause of so many problems, but being consumed in such large quantities, they cause damage to organs and other body parts over time, including those which need to work properly to handle the amounts of proteins and fats we need to stay healthy. Unfortunately, in order to avoid worse problems from the damaged part, that means the default advice is to avoid all but minimal amounts of the macro-nutrient that the damaged organ can no longer handle, which results in an increase in carb consumption, which then damages more organs and systems.
  #18   ^
Old Thu, May-30-19, 15:20

BF:

Not only does sugar burn blood vessels, but so does the insulin that is needed to process that sugar. The kidneys are full of very narrow blood vessels.

I've read that some people call insulin, "The killer hormone".

I see so many obese people walking around and it saddens me. I hear people talking about so many media things like a football player's career back to his high school days, a soap opera character's exploits for the past decades, what the Kardashians had for lunch, who won the Triple Crown, what Tiger Woods shot today and so on but don't know the first thing about what goes on inside their body.

To each their own I suppose.

Bob
  #19   ^
Old Fri, May-31-19, 06:29

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

Just a sidelight here: Of Mice and...Chickens

Visiting a friend's urban farm yesterday, I observed the couple of dozen chickens there. Two or three of them were enjoying a feast of Mouse. Evidently the chickens catch them in the pen and add mouse to the menu of everything else they eat. And I mean EVERYTHING, as the house scraps furnish a huge variety of vegetables, fruits, and other compost-friendly leftovers.

The eggs those chickens produce? Glorious.
  #20   ^
Old Fri, May-31-19, 07:09

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkloots
Just a sidelight here: Of Mice and...Chickens

Visiting a friend's urban farm yesterday, I observed the couple of dozen chickens there. Two or three of them were enjoying a feast of Mouse. Evidently the chickens catch them in the pen and add mouse to the menu of everything else they eat. And I mean EVERYTHING, as the house scraps furnish a huge variety of vegetables, fruits, and other compost-friendly leftovers.

The eggs those chickens produce? Glorious.

I've witnessed the chickens eating mice, too. And I can vouch for the wonderfulness of the eggs produced by chickens that eat almost anything. They're as good as pigs about taking care of compost but a heck of a lot smaller.
  #21   ^
Old Fri, May-31-19, 09:27

BF:

That's why those vegetarian feed eggs in the grocery store taste so bland. Chickens are omnivores.

Bob
  #22   ^
Old Fri, May-31-19, 09:30

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-a-rama
That's why those vegetarian feed eggs in the grocery store taste so bland. Chickens are omnivores.

Bob

I'm willing to bet there are a lot of people who would be freaked out if they saw the chickens scratching in the manure piles.
  #23   ^
Old Fri, May-31-19, 09:44

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Having raised chickens years ago, you quickly understand that everything is in play, as they are really earth-based birds of prey.
  #24   ^
Old Fri, May-31-19, 13:10

Plan: My own
Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
Having raised chickens years ago, you quickly understand that everything is in play, as they are really earth-based birds of prey.

As the peck marks on the back of my hand from my 9 week old chicks shows
Ah, my pretty mini-velociraptors!
  #25   ^
Old Tue, Jun-04-19, 09:46

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
I agree that we don't know if lots of protein is bad at all. I eat high protein as well, with very little veggies here and there and close to no carbs except for small amounts in eggs or some in my coffee cream. I think that as long as you're not eating carbs, the protein is fine.

My own experience.
  #26   ^
Old Tue, Jun-04-19, 09:57

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
I agree that we don't know if lots of protein is bad at all. I eat high protein as well, with very little veggies here and there and close to no carbs except for small amounts in eggs or some in my coffee cream. I think that as long as you're not eating carbs, the protein is fine.

I second that.
  #27   ^
Old Tue, Jun-04-19, 10:28

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

I find regular old eggs pretty tasty. With that, grass fed beef, grass fed butter--everybody insists they taste better. I don't. Many go in with the bias that they're probably superior quality, I don't... without a blind taste test, I can't say who's right, really. Or everybody's right, since we're talking about a subjective measure.

The "right" amount of protein--we're not talking about a quality inherent in the food, but more in the consumer, here. Moderation might be key, but what counts as too much or too little is likely fairly individual. Again, the studies looking at nitrogen balance look at what you'd have to have everybody eat, if everybody ate the same amount of protein, to get the people with the highest protein requirement eating enough. If I didn't get clear advantages from eating less than most low carbers advocate, I'd probably rather risk too much protein rather than too little. As is, on my days off, I do tend to eat a bit more protein, when it doesn't matter if I'm a little low energy, and I can always sulk and listen to some James Taylor if I get moody.
  #28   ^
Old Tue, Jun-04-19, 11:02

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
I find regular old eggs pretty tasty. With that, grass fed beef, grass fed butter--everybody insists they taste better. I don't. Many go in with the bias that they're probably superior quality, I don't... without a blind taste test, I can't say who's right, really. Or everybody's right, since we're talking about a subjective measure.

I have the same experience with grass fed beef. While I have had some that tasted fine, other sources have a different flavor and mouth feel. My approach is that if I find a grass fed beef at a reasonable price, and I know it's good quality for taste, I'll buy it. Otherwise, I'll stick with the Costco NY steaks and ribeyes (and ribeye roasts), as I'm not worried about a grain fed source and the associated negatives. I'll take my beef protein any way I can get good taste quality.

As for butter? Love the grass fed, and Kerry Gold is always in stock in my house.

As for best protein quantity, you're right, it's highly individual with considerations for age and health and health objectives in play.
  #29   ^
Old Tue, Jun-04-19, 16:43

BF:

Before anybody sold 100% grass-fed here, I took a vacation in Costa Rica. People told me I wouldn't like the beef there because it is 100% grass fed.

I tried a hamburquesa, expecting it to be passable but not great, and I immediately loved it. Everybody has a different idea as to what tastes good.

100% grass-fed tastes better to me, but even if it didn't, I'd get it anyway because IMO it's much better for the planet. Plus it has more omega 3s and CLA which according to sources I trust means it's better for me nutritionally.

To me the 100% grass-fed at Aldi tastes great.

But to each his/her own.

I don't like a lot of foods that others love.

Bob