Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Sun, May-15-05, 18:24
Still Wicked

Plan: none currently (WFPB now)
Stats: 235/112/120 Female 151 cm (4.11 1/2)
BF:
Progress: 107%

FWIW, the Lands End model is a branded version of My Virtual Model. So if you want to write in protest, write to those guys too.
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Sun, May-15-05, 23:16
One day at a timer

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 328.5/280.5/180 Female 5 feet 10 inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

I was going to come on here and share where I shop but by the time I got to the end they were already there!

Thanks AntiM for this...I especially like the bra shops online...being rather large breasted I would love to find a decent bra.
  #63   ^
Old Mon, May-16-05, 12:56
... Pro-Atkins!

Plan: General LC
Stats: 312/274/220 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 41%
Smile

brentsmom ~ Thanks for the reminder about Catherine's. I'd never been to their store until recently, and was pleasantly surprised at the quality. I was buying a dress for my neighbor and found a bunch of nice choices in natural fibers. I also picked up Figure Magazine; the Letters To The Editor section made me cry like a baby. I was so lucky that I found the Size Acceptance movement when I was young ... so many large women are just finding out now that they're powerful, beautiful, sexy and smart. Even though Figure was obviously created to help sell Catherine's / The Avenue clothes, it's a big self esteem boost. I'm glad to see it exists!

Liz ~ I got my Long Torso Performance Swimsuit at Junonia ... it's perfect for me, I love it! I have no idea why the model pictured is wearing shorts over it ... talking about a bad idea. On this page you can at least see a larger picture. 18 is the smallest size!

I think it's very flattering to my figure, I feel sleek and trim wearing it. Could be because my last suit was very flouncy, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quest
However, I just went into Lands End and tried to make a model based on your height of 5'9" and weight of 232 and had no problem. So....they do provide models your size! I was also able to make one with AntiM's height of 5'11" and weight of 240, but when I went up to 270 they said they couldn't do it. So they do have annoying limits, but I think they've expanded the parameters from when they first started offering the virtual model.
How bizarre! I swear when I went there earlier they couldn't make me a model, but I probably put my height in as 6'. I measured both 5'11" and 6' at different doctor's last year ... I'm sure the truth is that I'm shrinking (as we all do as we get older), but I'm hanging onto my tall height as long as I can. (---> Jets off to change her profile)

If you want to give Lands' End feedback about their virtual model or anything else, here is a contact page.

For My Virtual Model, you can contact them here.

I suggested Land' End use models at least as large as the sizes they carry. I gave My Virtual Model feedback that they should pay more attention to accuracy at larger sizes: A model weighing 280 shouldn't look identical to a 350 pound version.

Hey ... it can't hurt, right?
  #64   ^
Old Fri, May-20-05, 10:19
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%

I found this thread extremely helpful so I'm bumping it up
  #65   ^
Old Sat, May-21-05, 09:14

Plan: sugar bad, gluten worse
Stats: 230/191/160 Female 65 inches
BF:too/too/much
Progress: 56%
Default oprah's bra and swimsuit show

did anyone see oprah on friday? she did a makeover type thing with two british women from some show i've never heard of (and can't remember right now but it's on her website ) they were a hoot, really. they stopped total strangers on the street and harassed them about their clothing styles verses body type and size, and they weren't afraid to use they own figure flaws as examples which was kinda refreshing.

anyway, a portion of the show was about bras and how 80% of women wear the wrong size, but they didn't give that much information on how to measure. and let's face, it those salesladies know how to measure and find the perfect bra for you are all either dead or retired now and replaced by teenagers whose bra straps show (yes, i know it's stylish but it's just wrong). so in looking around the internet last night for bra info, i found plussizebras.org not necessarily about plus size women, but women with plus size boobs. it's got a great page on measuring and fitting and bunch of links.

Last edited by babe : Sat, May-21-05 at 09:16. Reason: oops
  #66   ^
Old Sat, May-21-05, 09:42

Stats: 318/243.4/160 Female 5' 8.5"
BF:60%/41.85%/23%
Progress: 47%

That's probably Trinny and Susannah. The have a show on BBC America called "What not to wear" they started that series a few years ago and the learning channel copied with an American spin off.

I love those two. They have a couple of books out that really do help you understand what helps you show off the best parts of your body and hide the stuff that's not so great. They show you what is right for your body type. And I find they are right on the money every time.

Oh and Lands End also has instructions on how to measure for bra size......Lands End Sizing

and click on intimates

Julie Huck

Last edited by Julie Huck : Sat, May-21-05 at 09:54.
  #67   ^
Old Sat, May-21-05, 18:00
Circling...

Stats: 230/222/150 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 10%

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiM
Regarding Walmart ... I'm so conflicted. It's incredibly hard to turn down such an inexpensive source of clothes. My favorite t-shirt came from there and cost something like $5 (it's tie dye in all rose / fuschia colors). BUT I hate to shop there; I dislike their labor practices and destruction of some small town cultures.

I agree with exactly what you said here AntiM. It's the reason I don't shop at Walmart... even if they are cheaper and more convenient for me.

This is a great thread. I've decided this summer I'm going to show my arms. I never had the nerve to do that before but I think the dumbells are helping so I'm going to wear halter tops! Now I'm off to check out all the sites for cute halter tops... hopefully on sale! Thanks for all the links everyone!
  #68   ^
Old Sun, May-22-05, 11:31
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie Huck
Oh and Lands End also has instructions on how to measure for bra size......Lands End Sizing

and click on intimates

I am lucky to have a local lingerie shop that still has older women who know how to fit bras. I looked at the Lands End instructions for measuring and that is exactly how the woman in my local shop measured me. The bras she sold me fits.

I'm always reluctant to buy new bras when I go down a size -- my instinct is to try to save some money and wait until they are really big -- but I have found that I do look a lot better in a bra that fits right.
  #69   ^
Old Wed, May-25-05, 10:09
Clueless. ODAAT.

Plan: Intuitive Eating
Stats: 290.6/290.6/180 Female 5'10"
BF:I do not care!
Progress: 0%

Monika - thanks for the links to plus size stuff and prices. You listed a few I hadn't heard of!
  #70   ^
Old Wed, May-25-05, 14:51
... Pro-Atkins!

BF:
Smile

I'm so glad many of you have found this thread helpful! One thing I know for sure, wearing clothes that fit make all the difference in how I feel about my new body.

I watched the bra episode on Oprah, too. After seeing the expert fitter at work, I really wanted to find one myself. Instructions on how to measure (like Lands' End) are great, but most of them require you to already have a well fitting bra to do the job right. Something I don't have. Everything either smashes them flat or is too padded to accurately measure.

So I went to Oprah's site to see if she listed any sources. Susan Nethero - the 'Breast Friend' expert has two shops in Atlanta and NY. For the rest of us, she has this link: Find A Expert Fitter Near You.

One interesting tidbit ... on Susan's site (My Intimacy), she has a 'What's My Size?' calculator. Using the size I wear now (44C) and blouse size (1X) - I "should" actually be a 40DD!

It'll be interesting to see if that's true. I didn't find anyone in Seattle who could fit my size, but Portland has a GREAT sounding store Just Like A Woman that carries 28AAA to 56J! At least I know they'll have something that fits.

GypsyAngel ~ You Go Girl! Show off them arms. You inspired me to try on the cutest little halter top I bought last year. It has a built in bra, so combined with tying the straps tight, I actually look perky and au natural. My arms are still too batwing-y for comfort, but I have great shoulders that never get shown off. I'm planning on wearing this top to a parade in late June ... let's see if I have the guts to do it!
  #71   ^
Old Wed, May-25-05, 19:37
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Quote:
So I went to Oprah's site to see if she listed any sources. Susan Nethero - the 'Breast Friend' expert has two shops in Atlanta and NY. For the rest of us, she has this link: Find A Expert Fitter Near You.

The "Find an Expert Fitter Near You" site lists the store where I have been going to get fitted for bras as I have lost weight and the women there who do the measuring are very good. If the other stores listed are in the same league, I highly recommend them. If you don't buy a bra in the store (their offerings are a little pricey) they charge $5 to measure you, but I think it is worth it.
  #72   ^
Old Fri, May-27-05, 09:52
Circling...

Stats: 230/222/150 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 10%

Quote:
GypsyAngel ~ You Go Girl! Show off them arms. You inspired me to try on the cutest little halter top I bought last year. It has a built in bra, so combined with tying the straps tight, I actually look perky and au natural. My arms are still too batwing-y for comfort, but I have great shoulders that never get shown off. I'm planning on wearing this top to a parade in late June ... let's see if I have the guts to do it!

DO IT AntiM!!! Wear the halter top in the parade! That's the kind of halter tops I need... the ones with the built in bra. And as for the batwing-y-ness... I plan on keeping my arms down. LOL!!!
  #73   ^
Old Fri, May-27-05, 09:57
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Quote:
One interesting tidbit ... on Susan's site (My Intimacy), she has a 'What's My Size?' calculator. Using the size I wear now (44C) and blouse size (1X) - I "should" actually be a 40DD!

I'm not convinced that calculator is accurate. I was professionally measured a couple of weeks ago at one of the stores listed on that site and I was told I need a 42C. When I used their calculator and put in size 16-18 shirt, they told me I need a 38DD. I am not a DD! When I put in a size 1X shirt, they told me I need a 40D. I wear either a size 16-18 (XL) or a size 1X shirt and I think my current bra (42C) does fit me correctly.
  #74   ^
Old Fri, May-27-05, 21:29
... Pro-Atkins!

BF:
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by liz175
I'm not convinced that calculator is accurate.

I'm sure you're right. It's just a fun look at how the size you're wearing might not be the right size. For me personally, I *highly* doubt a DD is appropriate. I used to wear a D cup, but my breasts have lost so much fullness that a few C cup bras I tried on last summer were puckered - the sign of a too large cup size.

Also ~ Liz, thanks for posting that your fitter charges $5 if you don't buy a product at their store. I might have put off getting fit until I was sure I had enough $$ to really afford a potentially expensive bra. This way I can call ahead and ask my store has a similar policy.

GypsyAngel ~ If I do it, I'll keep my arms down AND take a picture for the forum.
  #75   ^
Old Mon, Jun-13-05, 01:38
Monday came.

Plan: my own
Stats: 275/228.6/155 Female 5'4"
BF:ummm . . . ?
Progress: 39%

Bumping this for the newbies. . . such a fun thread. . .