Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > South Beach Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#91   ^
Old Mon, Jun-04-07, 18:00

Plan: South Beach Diet
Stats: 165/135.1/130 Female 5 ft. 3 in.
BF:36%/27.5%/26%
Progress: 85%

Great loss this week, Skalar! Way to go!
Sponsored Links
  #92   ^
Old Mon, Jun-04-07, 18:30

Plan: Atkins - O.W.L.
Stats: 197/172/150 Female 5 ft 5 in
BF:
Progress: 53%

Hi all,

Things are moving OK (decent, but not FAST), but I am having those pre-TOM cravings for fat
& protein. At least I am now recognizing the cause.

Congratulations on your losses Charran, Katrina, Seakay, & Skalar!

--------------------------------------

Date............5/28.............6/4.............6/11.............6/18.............6/25
HK-lowcarb....175............174
icemanjs4......213.5
Keira.............181............180
Ladibug..........110
Med:.............171
PghMarsha.....170............170
Seakay..........189............188
skalar............248.4.........242.4
sundancerk.....143.3.........142
tiffy111..........196
vpeach..........154
  #93   ^
Old Mon, Jun-04-07, 22:05

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 280/211/200 Male 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 86%

Date............5/28.............6/4.............6/11.............6/18.............6/25
HK-lowcarb....175
icemanjs4......213.5..........223.5
Ladibug..........110
tiffy111..........196
vpeach..........154

Don't even ask. We'll see if next week fixes it.
  #94   ^
Old Tue, Jun-05-07, 11:54

Plan: south beach
Stats: 208/196/150 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 21%

Charran- Onederland GOOD JOB!!!!
skalar- That's a great loss, your doing great!!!
ice- It's okay I know your will recover fast, it's been a long journey, but you can do it

And as for me, I am really surprised all I gained was 2 pounds I missed the gym all week long. Had a few or more summer time beers. Gave in to TOM sugar and pizza cravings.

Congrats to everyone, I think we should all work really hard this month and post good numbers.

HK-lowcarb....175
Ladibug..........110
tiffy111..........196...........198
vpeach..........154
  #95   ^
Old Tue, Jun-05-07, 15:06

Plan: my own
Stats: 253/176.0/153 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 77%

Tiffy...thanks for the congrats, but this is just one of many forays into Onederland for me. I keep going up and down around that mark.
  #96   ^
Old Wed, Jun-06-07, 10:45

Plan: Low Carb, Good Carb
Stats: 206/164/160 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancerk
I bet it will, Med. It's probably just water from the shock to your system! (For some reason, I always gain while traveling, even when I eat on plan!) You'll be back to where you were in no time.

Thanks for the encouragement!
I did lose half of the holiday gain in the first 2 days, but the rest is holding on stubbornly!

HK-lowcarb....175
Ladibug..........110
Med:.............171............168
tiffy111..........196...........198
vpeach..........154
  #97   ^
Old Fri, Jun-08-07, 07:51
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
The 5 best secrets to permanent weight loss
Christine Jary

Ideal weight is achieved by living a relatively healthy lifestyle, i.e. eating well most of time and moving our bodies. While there are several weight loss tips that help us drop a few pounds here and there – green tea and weight training to aid metabolism, hormonal supplements to minimize cravings and control mood, etc; the true secrets to permanent weight loss lie in your mind. There are mountains of scientific evidence indicating that the subconscious rules! It, not the conscious mind, is driving us. Understanding how much what we think and how we feel affect how we approach permanent weight loss and whether we’re successful at it, is essential. Here are my five top weight loss secrets—which are backed by science—to help you harness the power of your mind to lose the weight for good!

1. Focus on what you’re getting, not what you’re giving up

Your parents may have had a much harder time getting you out of the house and off to college if all you focused on were the difficulties of college life. Sure there are the sucky aspects to it. Exams and finals; having to move away from most of your friends and make new ones; and having to take care of your own laundry, eating, and household chores; to name a few. However, the value we place on a college education and the opportunity to finally get away from our parents are just stronger influences. These are what we consciously and unconsciously focus on and we end up leaving the house. Find something deeply compelling for why you want to eat healthy and exercise, then focus on that. Whether it’s finally having that monkey off your back and enjoying a “non-weight obsessed” existence. Knowing that by viewing and treating your body well you’re setting a great example for your kids, your nieces and nephews, or someone in your life that is young and impressionable. Having more energy or enjoying better sex. Aging better. Developing friendships/camaraderie through your workouts when you join a sports team, a dance or tai chi class, or with your neighbors as you cycle around the hood. Feeling good about yourself. Focus on how you’ll benefit, not the fries, the ½ hour of your day you devote to working out, or anything else you will be giving up.

2. Accept that you have to change

Denial is one of the biggest hindrances to permanent weight loss. It keeps us perpetually stuck…going around in circles or avoiding the problem all together. When healthy eating and moving our bodies is an “on and off” thing, we can’t expect to see permanent results. That’s just a given. When we don’t accept that we have to change and do the things that work, we may let ourselves be seduced by late night infomercials that energetically push the latest FAST and EASY way to lose weight. Denial keeps us confused and easily distracted. But here’s the beauty of acceptance – it releases us from the tug of war of the subconscious mind and focuses it on one path. Recently, after doing an assignment I gave her to help identify her mental block, it clicked for one of my clients. She told me, “I realized that deep down why I was beating myself up was because I was disappointed in myself.” While I gave my husband and mom all sorts of excuses (unsolicited ones), I knew the real truth was that I could have done better and didn’t. I was really “off and on” with my program (and was cutting corners in a lot of other areas of my life as well) and trying to deny it. Turns out, giving her husband and mom unsolicited excuses was a way to try to convince herself of it consciously. However, on the subconscious, deeper level she knew the truth; and was disappointed in herself.

3. Have successful relapses…lots of them if you have to!!

Every person who has successfully kept the weight off has relapsed. Everyone. Relapse is part of the process of change. That’s because habits are easy to fall back into. We may be doing great for a while, and bam! Something happens. Life throws us a curve. We move or change jobs, have a baby, family illness, you name it. You lose your focus and don’t eat as well for a while or stop your exercise routine. The secret is to adjust as soon as possible, not give up and toss away your smart lifestyle that was working for you. Remember, you don’t have to eat well 100% of the time, 80% will do; and the gym is not the only place to workout.

4. Educate yourself

There’s a lot we could learn that would help us make a more lasting commitment to a healthy, balanced lifestyle. New and long-known information about physiology, nutrients that help the human body run well, brain chemicals, stress and female hormones, our emotions, the negative effects of too little sleep and exercise on our immune system and weight loss, etc. Consider that many vegetarians -- informal research tells me it's most -- make the choice to stop eating meat when they learned how animals are bred and brought to market, or because of some new information they learned. They describe the inner change as a “switch” that turned off their desire for meat. They weren’t born vegetarians and it is not as easy as one might think to just become one. When most patients learn they’re at high risk or have developed a health condition such as diabetes, a similar switch goes off inside. This switch we’re talking about also has to do with the mind / brain. Scientists have discovered that our desires (including hunger, our desire for power, sex, and sleep) are controlled by an area of the brain called the hypothalamus. As you can imagine, they are busy developing a pill to help people lose weight by controlling the hypothalamus. Unfortunately, it won’t be the magic bullet and we will still have to eat well and exercise. With new knowledge and information we can override some of the old beliefs and false expectations that drive our desires. With new information we can begin to see cause and effect, and decide to make another choice.

5. Manage your thoughts and you’ll mange your emotions / weight

Why? Because our thoughts and emotions are intertwined and affect all our choices. Think about it. When we’re feeling good, we do better. Right? How thoughts work: If I think I deserve to treat myself well, see exercise as a gift I give to myself, don’t believe I have a fat gene and is doomed to struggle with my weight, don’t entertain the thought that there’s a shortcut to health, understand the connection between what I eat and how I feel, sleep, and age; these thoughts and beliefs will be what drives me. Likewise, if I beat myself up or starve myself trying to thin. I will be driven by those unhealthy thoughts, be moody more often; and my choices will reflect that.

I really like what this lady has to say about permanent weight loss.

I hope that you find some good thoughts here too.
  #98   ^
Old Fri, Jun-08-07, 18:47

Stats: 168/153/140 Male 5 feet 3 inches short
BF:
Progress: 54%

Hey everyone! Glad to see the old faces and many many new ones! I really need to get back at this...been sort of missing in action for the past few months.
  #99   ^
Old Fri, Jun-08-07, 19:09

Stats: 173.4/171.5/155 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 10%
Wink New

Hi Everyone! I just started SBD yesterday. Only 12 more days till I can have a glass of wine! LOL.

I'm excited about this diet. I did WW for 2 1/2 years until I fell off track and got tired of paying for it and wasn't going to meetings and stuff. So I thought I would give this a try! I'm really liking it. I can't wait to see how much I weigh in a week.

We went to Carrabbas tonight for dinner and I didn't touch the bread and only drank iced tea. I had chicken pollo rosa maria, spinach and a caesar. The spinach was sauteed in olive oil. I think I did pretty good there. I only smelled my boyfriend's bread! LOL.

Looking forward to getting to know everyone!

Julie
  #100   ^
Old Fri, Jun-08-07, 20:24
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Welcome Back Tim!! Good to see you again!!

Welcome Julie!!
  #101   ^
Old Fri, Jun-08-07, 20:31

BF:
Thumbs up FoxGluvs

Hi FoxGluvs

I was just looking through the site and ran across your before/progress/after pictures! WOW!!! Is all I can say! You look terrific! What an inspiration!

You go girl!
  #102   ^
Old Fri, Jun-08-07, 20:38

BF:
Smile Judy

Thanks for the welcome Judy! I'm looking forward to finding my way around this site better and getting to know everyone! I'm a good poster! I seem to like this site the best out of the other ones that I've checked out!

Goodnight all!!!
  #103   ^
Old Sat, Jun-09-07, 00:21

Stats: 165/135.1/130 Female 5 ft. 3 in.
BF:36%/27.5%/26%
Progress: 85%

Welcome, Julie! Sounds like you did great eating out on the Beach--you're already well on your way to a new way of life!

And welcome back, Tim! I don't know you from before, but I'm glad you're here!
  #104   ^
Old Sat, Jun-09-07, 07:19

Plan: my own
Stats: 253/176.0/153 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 77%

Judy...thanks for the post about permanent weight loss! Really hit home for me!
  #105   ^
Old Sat, Jun-09-07, 08:14

Stats: 280/211/200 Male 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 86%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim709
Hey everyone! Glad to see the old faces and many many new ones! I really need to get back at this...been sort of missing in action for the past few months.

Welcome back Tim, haven't seen you around here in ages. Looks like you've done well holding your weight down since youve been gone! Are you coastin in maintenance now?