Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Fibromyalgia, CFS, S.A.D.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-05-02, 13:53
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 238/190/155 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 58%
Question Meds and Weight loss

Do any of you find that the pain meds or allergy meds affect weight loss or gain? I've been off and on with my anti-inflammitories but the rheumatologist wants me to be more consistant and to treat the pain and inflammation proactively. Oh yeah, and it is now allergy season again!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Mar-10-02, 23:11
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Lightbulb

hi colinjn,

You betcha meds can interfere with weight loss. However, they won't make it impossible, just harder.

Anti-inflammatories/NSAIDS can cause fluid retention problems. Allergy meds (I'm assuming you're talking about steroids .. inhaled and oral) also are notorious for salt & fluid retention, as well as altered glucose metabolism. Low-carbing will be helpful for lessening these side effects. It would be wise to watch your salt intake, and eat less salty and processed foods. If you're not taking any heart or blood pressure meds, you might consider using a potassium-containing salt substitute. The potassium will be helpful to keep sodium in balance. Drinking lots of plain water really helps too.

Doreen
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Mar-11-02, 10:07
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 238/190/155 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 58%
Post Life time Balance

Hi Doreen,
Thanks for the reply. I'm not too concerned about water retention, since I am trying to develope a balanced Lifestyle that can accomodate the CFS/cfids/etc.... If I can get and keep the FAT off I will be happy

I've given up on the quick miracle cures and am looking for a comfortable life. Believe me finding a balance that works for me has been a long and continuing journey. Maybe I should get a journal going.

Thanks again Colin

PS The last time I tried the Salt Substitutes I was quite disappointed in the taste. Do you know of one brand that is better tasting than others?
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Mar-11-02, 10:21
Forum Founder

BF:

I hear that NuSalt brand is supposed to taste just like regular sodium salt. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find it in my town, but it is available in Canada, as well as the US. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough

Personally, I buy Celtic sea salt ... unrefined, gray-coloured, still has all the minerals from the sea .. and 1/3 less sodium than refined table salt. I mix this 50:50 with sodium-free, potassium-based salt substitute (I use NoSalt brand, since that's what I'm able to find locally). This gives a pleasant salty taste, but way less sodium, and a little potassium for good measure with each sprinkle. This mix works perfectly fine in cooking and recipes too.

You can find unrefined sea salt in gourmet shops for a big price, or in health food stores for less. Check out Superstore's health food section. There are different brands .. Celtic, Lima, Bretagne etc ..

Doreen
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Mar-11-02, 10:29
Forum Founder

BF:

Just for the record, it's taken me almost 2 years to lose the first 48+ lbs. with my fibro, CFS, hypothyroid, etc, etc The meds do make it a bit tougher for sure .. on the other hand I KNOW that I would've just kept on gaining if I'd continued to eat the "healthy" lowFAT high-grains diet that I followed before. I couldn't understand why I did everything "right" .. and still the lbs kept piling on.

I don't have the hypoglycemic blood sugar dips in the late afternoon anymore either. It's been over a year since I've needed to lie down for a nap in the afternoons. Previously, I'd literally have to drop whatever I was doing, and lie down ... or else fall down

I consider my weight loss to be just a bonus. LC has just helped me to feel so much better, and achieve health benefits that I figured were beyond hope for me --- blood pressure down from 160/100 to 120/72; cholesterol down, blood sugar stable.

Doreen