Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-01-03, 21:10

Plan: protien power/Low carb
Stats: 234/234/158 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 0%
Question New and loosing inches, yet stalled in weight loss

Hi, I have been on protein power for 3 weeks, and I have lost 15 pounds, yet now I have stalled in weight loss-I have stalled for about a week now. I have lost inches-major inches-2 off my waist-2 off my bust-and 1 and 1/2 off my hips. I know I have lost alot of 3 weeks, yet I'm new to this type of diet and I'm unsure if this is normal. I'm just so used to loosing weight over inches, so I'm trying to understand why this is happening? Should I just throw out my scale.

Also, I have been very thirsty lately, I drink alot of water-at least 12 glasses a day-maybe 15. I just can't stop this dry mouth.

I really like this diet, for the first time -i don't feel like i'm on a diet. i'm not hungry-ever.
thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-01-03, 23:21

Plan: Skinny Me Diet
Stats: 345/212.5/210 Male 6'4
BF:
Progress: 98%

Most on here would probably say yes to the throwing out the scale question

Your body is simply adjusting to the loss of weight you had during the first 3 weeks. For some people this adjustment can be 1 day, 2 weeks, 2 months or some don't even have one! It just varies from person to person.

Losing inches and lbs at different times is not uncommon. My weight loss seems to always be followed by loss of inches 6 to 10 days AFTER the weight loss, weird huh? Just remember losing inches is always better than losing LBS.

Keep up the good work and keep drinking LOTS Of water, I have found stalling is common in me if I don't get my water in!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Apr-02-03, 04:09

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 266/197/168 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 70%

I measure on a monthly basis and the same thing happened to me. Last month I actually had a gain during the month about 6 lbs(a muscle gain is what I'm trying to believe because I did not cheat at all). By the end of the month I had only managed to lose a whopping 1 lb for the entire month, but at my measure dday I managed to lose 10.25 inches off arms, bust, waist, stomache and thighs. I had been averaging 5-6 inches a month so this was a windfall and more than made up for the meely 1lb. Sometimes I think your body does one or the other!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Apr-02-03, 07:40

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Re: New and loosing inches, yet stalled in weight loss

Quote:
Originally posted by roxie19142
Hi, I have been on protein power for 3 weeks, and I have lost 15 pounds, yet now I have stalled in weight loss-I have stalled for about a week now. I have lost inches-major inches-2 off my waist-2 off my bust-and 1 and 1/2 off my hips. I know I have lost alot of 3 weeks, yet I'm new to this type of diet and I'm unsure if this is normal. I'm just so used to loosing weight over inches, so I'm trying to understand why this is happening? Should I just throw out my scale.

Roxie, congrats on those 15 lbs! Nice job

And congrats - you're not really stalled. You've just had a pause in fat loss as it's reflected on the scale. You're losing inches = You're shrinking. In the scheme of things what would you rather have, a scale number that reads xyz or 4 inches off your waistline? I know what I'd pick!

As for normal - it's 'average' to lose 10% of the weight you want to lose during the first 2 weeks. Losses after that slow to 5% per month.

As for throwing out the scale - you're more than welcome to! Here's a thread with some links to past posts on this every discussion

Aren't you more than a number?

Nat
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Apr-02-03, 21:54

Plan: protien power/Low carb
Stats: 234/234/158 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 0%

After reading your response, I'm ready to put the scale away(just put it away-not throw out, not ready for that yet). I'm going to put it somewhere that is hard to get to. That way, I really only weigh myself once a week. 'cause i'm driving myself crazy with that scale.

thanks so much-for the support. yes, nat i rather have a smaller waist line than a lower number on the scale.

thanks
roxie
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Apr-03-03, 10:28

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 134/132/127
BF:don't wanna know
Progress: 29%

Maybe you had a lot of water loss at first, and it took a little while to translate into 15 lbs. of fat loss? Just a thought.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Apr-03-03, 11:19

Stats: 190/140/140 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I'd go for inches over pounds ANYTIME.

I actually just measured myself this morning in case I stop losing the lbs.

Congrats to you, you're doing great!
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Apr-03-03, 14:09
Former Couch Potato

Stats: 209/195.5/165 Female 5' 8"
BF:Oh yeah!
Progress: 31%

I've only been on the plan for a month and a bit, but have had lots of ups and downs and short stalls in that time. I'm slowly realizing this is not going to be a steady downhill course, there are lots of twists and turns. Take a look at my Fitday page below (scroll to bottom) and you'll see how my weight has bounced up and down. Yet I am losing and the inches were coming off even when I stalled for a few days.

Trust the program! It works!

K.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Apr-04-03, 06:11
Registered Member

Stats: 300/241/200 Male 6'
BF:20
Progress: 59%

I have noticed the same thing.
I stopped losing weight but noticed that clothes which did not fit, not fit.

Stay the course and good luck!!