Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Feb-13-03, 12:18

Plan: low carb
Stats: 292.6/225.0/170
BF:
Progress: 55%
Unhappy Water weight

Hi everyone!

First time posting a message and its a question. I've been stalled for the last couple weeks (and really fustrated) the doctor has prescribed lasix a water pill. I'm just curious as to how much water I will loose and how do I keep it off? Its a 40mg pill that I'll take once a day for three days....Thanking you in advance.

Paula
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Feb-13-03, 14:17
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%

Does your doctor know you're low-carbing? And he prescribed a diuretic??? I think this is something you should discuss with your doctor. It is beyond the scope of our abilities here to know why he's prescribed such a medication for you and what your expectations should be.

If your doctor isn't aware that you're LCing, or isn't aware of its diuretic nature, I would caution you to make him aware!

Good luck!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Feb-13-03, 14:21
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

I don't want to question your doctor's prescription, but I do want to caution you that the one time in my life I was prescribed a diuretic, the doctor neglected to mention that it could deplete my potassium. I fainted and that is the only time in my life I remember fainting. If you are going to take a diuretic, please talk to your doctor about whether you need to supplement your potassium. I was taking it for PMS and I just stopped after that. I decided I would live with the PMS.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Feb-13-03, 14:55

BF:

Thanks ladies,

for your concern and adivce. My doctor is aware that I'm on a LC WOL she is the one who prescribed the diuretic and potassium.

I guess that I was soooo fustrated that I hadn't noticed a weight change in weeks that she wanted to lift my spirts.

Sounds like its a short term plan. I guess I should re-think this avenue of lasix and continue doing what I’m doing and wait for the whoosh fairy.

Thanks again.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Feb-23-03, 08:30
Registered Member

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 198/198/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Unhappy Llasix and LC

Hello PaulaG and everyone,

Been around for awhile - and wanted to comment on the Lasix thing. I have been on Lasix for many years. I can't get off of them. My body has adjusted to the "fix" - and now if I were to stop, I would balloon up for months.

Lasix works for a temp fix, although some folks need it for HBP - which serves the purpose. I have HBP for many years, and this is the only thing that works, coupled with Avapro. (Another HBP medication)

I work out w/ weights, run/walk cardio 6 - 7 days a week. I eat only 1190 cal. a day, and have gone back to LC'ing it again. I find it very, very difficult to loose weight due to the Lasix involvement.

(I also had Thyroid CA, so coupled w/ Lasix, and metabolism problems, it is real difficult.)

Anyway, if you can get by without the use of Lasix that is better. I wish I could let go of them too!

Take good care, take a big breath and continue your hard work in loosing weight.

My best regards to all!
Andi
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Feb-24-03, 18:26
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, under 30/day
Stats: 335/289/185
BF:
Progress: 31%

I just recently read in Dr. Atkins' Nutrition Breakthroughs that vitamin B-6 is a natural diuretic. He recommends dosages from 500 mg to 1500 mg/day and says to stop increasing the dosage when you remember your dreams several times per week. Also, he mentions that vitamin C is another natural diuretic.

I've had persistent swelling in my lower legs. Vitamin C was not changing that, but adding a complex-B supplement has decreased the swelling to near-normal. I now take about 200 mg/day when I had been taking 50/day, so I'm not even up to his minimum dosage and am already seeing significant results.

It is, at least, something to try if you want to attempt losing the lasix. Best wishes to you!

#7   ^
Old Tue, Feb-25-03, 08:48

BF:

Thanks apena & freydis,

Of course your right about the Lasix.
I know now that Lasix wasn't the way to go (old habits die hard).

I'll look into the B- 6 vitamins for water release.

Only honest hard work will show a pay off.

Thanks again ladies for all the support and advice.

Paula

Last edited by PaulaG : Tue, Feb-25-03 at 08:53.