Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jan-13-03, 11:54
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 208/208/130 Female 5ft 4ins
BF:
Progress: 0%
Unhappy stalled

Hi all,

I've been stalled for over 6 weeks. I'm so blue...

I got myself an elliptical exerciser, and I've been using it alternating mornings, and I'm up to 1/2 hour steady. After that, I do some sit-ups, and then some light free weights.

I lost 23 pounds really quickly (6 weeks), but this was weight I had also gained quickly (6 months), so I'm essentially back to my starting point. I posted my daily menu awhile back, and nobody saw anything strange with it, and I haven't changed or increased my carbs since then.

I did a complete water fast for 21 days back in summer 2001, and I am wondering if I haven't screwed up my metabolism forever

Does anyone have any ideas? A metabolism booster? I haven't cheated ONCE since I started 3 months ago. Not even over Christmas, and I am really bummed out.

Thanks,
Aria
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jan-13-03, 15:32
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi there Aria,

I'm sorry to see you're so down.

Are you really stalled? By that, I mean a stall means no weight OR inches lost. Have you measured yourself? Because if you've lost inches, it means you've gained some muscle which weighs more than fat (and takes up less room).

No matter when you gained that 23 pounds, losing that much weight in 6 weeks is a bit of a shock to your body and it will be hanging on to as much as it can for a while.

So, whether or not you've lost inches, my advice is to just hang in there, and before too long, you'll see a downward trend.

All the best to you!

Rosebud
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jan-17-03, 09:07

Plan: Careful Low Carb Plan
Stats: 335/295/180 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 26%

Aria, You sound like you are exercising quite a bit. That should help boost your metabolism. I would suggest measuring yourself, like Rosebud said. I'm sure you are changing shape, with building muscle. So don't get discouraged. Keep doing what you're doing. As long as you are losing inches, it's not a real stall. Victoria
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jan-17-03, 09:21

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Default Re: stalled

Quote:
Originally posted by aria1964
Does anyone have any ideas? A metabolism booster? I haven't cheated ONCE since I started 3 months ago. Not even over Christmas, and I am really bummed out.
Aria, it takes time for some of us to get over those humps. It sucks, but it's unavoidable. You can do things to try to help your metabolism. Eating enough, drinking your water and working out are all great steps If you're looking for something that might help you, check out the threads in the supplement forum on Green Tea, it's good for you and it does increase metabolism slightly.

Cheers,
Nat
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jan-17-03, 11:23
Registered Member

BF:
Wink Thanks

I appreciate all your support. It just feels like if I get on that scale one more time, and see the SAME weight, I'll throw it out the window! I'll just keep plugging away, I guess...

Nat, I noticed your new (?) pic. You look great!

Aria ~ in frigid Montreal
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jan-17-03, 11:32

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Default Re: Thanks

Quote:
Originally posted by aria1964
Aria ~ in frigid Montreal
You I believe, Aria! I think it may actually be colder in Montreal today than it is here!

Nat
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jan-26-03, 10:46

Stats: 274/265/170 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 9%

Aria...how are you doing? I am stalled as well. Very frustrating. My Doctor just tells me to keep doing what I am doing because my body will decide when it loses and stalls and it doesn't matter what I think I should be losing. I am not convinced I buy that theory. I can relate to your frustration....Hang in there...usually a stall is followed by a 'whoosh' You are doing everything right.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jan-26-03, 11:43
Registered Member

BF:
Smile Good news!

Hi pinkcaddy,

Thanks for the support! My heart goes out to you too, as stalling is tough. We feel like we should get instant reward for our hard work.

I'm very excited as I dropped 4 pounds this week!! ... you were right about the "woosh". I exercised and drowned myself with water. I also cut out the Splenda.

Who knows.. was it that, or was it my body finally deciding that it was time? In any case, it pays to stick with it and just trust that eventually it will start moving again.

Best of luck, and please post something when you move past your stall.

Aria~
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jan-27-03, 09:37
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%

Quote:
My Doctor just tells me to keep doing what I am doing because my body will decide when it loses and stalls and it doesn't matter what I think I should be losing.
Pinkcaddy- Your doctor sounds like a very wise fellow!

Just FYI, I've been LCing for almost a year now and my entire experience has been: Stall.... whoosh..... stall.... whoosh.... stall.... whoosh..... stall.... whoosh.

One thing's for sure.... you don't ever get the whoosh if you give up! Just hang in there. It'll happen!
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jan-27-03, 11:54

BF:

Thanks for your support everyone! I decided not to weigh myself until Friday. (I weigh everyday because I am paranoid that I will gain if I don't) I will let you know when I get my whoosh! It is so encouraging to know that everyone else goes through this and that it should be expected. Thank you so much! I have a much better attitude today because you shared your experiences.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jan-27-03, 14:51
Starting Over!

Quote:
Originally posted by pinkcaddy
It is so encouraging to know that everyone else goes through this and that it should be expected. Thank you so much! I have a much better attitude today because you shared your experiences.
That's what this board is all about and why it is so INVALUABLE!!! I love it here, the people are GREAT and I would have never made it this far without it.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jan-28-03, 14:31

Stats: 155/112/107 Female 5'3"
BF:?
Progress: 90%
Unhappy Stalled!!!! UGH!

I too have been stalled for over 4 weeks!!! I had been losing soooo slowly (about 1/2 lb./week if I was lucky). Now I haven't lost jack since before Christmas!! I'm doing the same thing (approx. 30 carbs/day) and going to the gym 5 times/week, drinking approx. 96 - 120 oz. water/day.

What do I do??? Is it normal to be stalled for this long??? My clothes fit the same as they did a month ago! I hate that blasted scale! I too am ready to throw it out the window!

Kim
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jan-28-03, 14:44
Starting Over!

Yank.... throwing the scale out the window doesn't sound like a bad plan AT ALL! Go for it! You may find that life will become MUCH more pleasant!

I get frustrated too.... I go MUCH longer than 4 weeks without a loss. My last stall was 4 months. Does getting frustrated help me? No. Learning to accept that this will take time....THAT helps me. Going with the flow, baby....going with the flow!
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Jan-28-03, 18:51
Registered Member

BF:
Talking Putting in my two cents worth!

You guys are great! I agree. This is a lovely supportive, environment.

Yank, my stall was almost 8 weeks, and I was pulling out my hair. Maybe it's because you are getting closer to your goal weight? I hear that it can get really slow then... don't despair.

<----- Thought we all deserved that!

Take care,

Aria~
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Jan-29-03, 15:09

BF:

Ok now I am worried! Stalled for 4 monnths. That would be so frustrating. Good for you for keepin on keepin on. That's amazing.