Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Salads Veggies & Side Dishes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jul-08-04, 09:08

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 207/190/120 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 20%
Default My recipe for Faux Mashed Potatoes

Faux Mashed Potatoes

1 pkg. frozen cauliflower or 1 lb. fresh
3 TB. butter
1/3 cup sour cream
1/3 cup cream cheese
salt and pepper to taste
2 TB chopped chives

In a saucepan or vegetable steamer, cook cauliflower until very tender, about 10-15 min. Drain cauliflower until all liquid is gone. In a glass bowl combine cooked, drained cauliflower, sour cream, cream cheese and 1 TB of the chives. Using a hand mixer, whip the cauliflower until smooth. Season with salt and pepper. Garnish with remaining chives.

About 4 servings
3 grams of carbs per serving

I was really surprised with how much the texture was like mashed potatoes. Just make sure you drain the cooked cauliflower really well. I didn't and they came out pretty thin.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jul-09-04, 15:00

Plan: Modified Paleo Atkins
Stats: 260/260/190 Male 71 inches
BF:Getting/Much/Bette
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabacacia
Just make sure you drain the cooked cauliflower really well. I didn't and they came out pretty thin.

One trick cooks use with potatoes that should also work with cauliflower is once you drain it, put it back in the hot pan without water, stir it around and then dump in a bowl. This helps to evaporate some of the excess water and make them not so watery.

Plane Crazy
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jul-11-04, 12:26
Registered Member

Plan: Somersize
Stats: 270/175/175 Female 6'1"
BF:
Progress:

Another tip I learned on the Atkins site about getting all the water out of cooked/steamed cauliflower, is using a potato ricer! This works great.

I don't actually "rice" the cauliflower, I just put it in the ricer and use it to squeeze all the water out. It does a great job. No more does my cauli. come out like soup.

It also works well for squeezing the water out of cooked spaghetti squash and especially well on the chopped, frozen thenthawed spinach.

Mine is an Oxo brand - stainless steel with very comfortable handles, since you're doing a lot of squeezing.. *Ü*