Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Sep-06-11, 10:38
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 210/178/150 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 53%
Default Cla?

I'm reading that CLA is helpful for metabolism. Mine is horrid due to a lifetime of yo-yo ing. Going from starvation to 'can't get it fast enough' sugar binges, but I digress! I'll save that one for the 'issues' forum ( ).

Any thoughts on CLA? Brand or type that is considered a better choice (vs. the generic grocery store kind).

I really appreciate your thoughts and wish you a happy day.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Sep-06-11, 13:11
Patience Personified

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 199/188/130 Female 5'3"
BF:5'5" tall
Progress: 16%

I thought about taking it, but read on more than one website it has been linked to insulin resistance, so I decided against trying it. This article may help: http://www.news-medical.net/news/2007/01/30/21608.aspx
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Sep-07-11, 07:18

Stats: 238/174/170 Female 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 94%
Default tonalin

Every low carb book I have read suggests this supplement. Therefore I purchased it this month to see if it will help with my last 18 or so pounds I have to lose. As I said I just started it so it will take some time I'm sure. And I am not sure if it is any better than the store kind but I got mine at the Vitamin Shoppe store under brand name Tonalin...you can compare by looking it up on line maybe... good luck.

Last edited by lterry913 : Wed, Sep-07-11 at 07:24.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Sep-07-11, 07:45
Registered Member

Stats: 210/178/150 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 53%

Thanks so much! Would love to hear updates
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Sep-07-11, 07:46
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%

Never saw any difference.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Sep-07-11, 08:00

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

I actually started taking this before low carbing... and I lost an inch off my waist. It made me realize I had metabolic issues, and helped me decide to start low carbing. I've been taking it for years now. Bodybuilders have used it for years to reduce body fat.

There have been some reports that contradict its "metabolic healing qualities" that so attracted me. But when I stopped taking it to see if could notice a difference... I kinda did. And I had none of the troubles the negative studies reported.

So I guess it's a Your Mileage May Vary thing, as so many are. But here is a well-balanced article from Wikipedia:

Conjugated Linoleic Acid

In conclusion: you can get it naturally from grass-fed meat, but since I can't always afford that, I take CLA. Because of the cautions involved in studies with people who are "very overweight" (which is not defined) it might be something to try after some weight loss has been accomplished; perhaps as a stall-breaker?

While I am an experiment of one, the fact that it reduced my waistline despite my eating a typical lousy American diet impressed me.

Last edited by WereBear : Wed, Sep-07-11 at 10:29.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Sep-07-11, 22:42

Plan: Keto / Atkins VLC
Stats: 173/148.6/135 Female 5'6"
BF:23.9
Progress: 64%

I've taken CLA for extended periods in the past, never could decide if it helped or not. I guess if it helped a lot, I would have noticed!!
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Sep-08-11, 00:55

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 213/141/150 Female 5'4 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 114%

I know absolutely NOTHING about CLA supplement....but just today read some interesting things about CLA as regards dairy thanks to cnmLisa.

Definitive Guide to Dairy

Is all Cheese Created Equal

I think whenever we can get our nutrition from real foods rather than supplements we're doing good....but again I'm not knowledgeable about this AT ALL. Just thought it curious that you asked about CLA and that was one of the things that stood out to me in these two articles.

I don't think there are any magic bullets, but I do think there are things that we can do as regards our foods to make us more healthy in general and long term.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Sep-08-11, 05:03

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
Originally Posted by freckles
I know absolutely NOTHING about CLA supplement....but just today read some interesting things about CLA as regards dairy thanks to cnmLisa.

Definitive Guide to Dairy

Is all Cheese Created Equal

Thanks for those links!

This is the core of CLA; it's what's in the grass fed foods that makes it so good for us. The controversy is: does taking it in supplement form also work? There's no clear answer science-wise; there was in my own body.

My response, since I have had good luck with it, is to take it along with my meat or dairy... don't know of any studies that have emphasized that. I'm on an anti-inflammatory kick of late, and good fats are getting in any way I can make them fit.

Supplementation itself is a touchy issue: it's certainly not "natural," but then, neither is the food we have access to; or can afford.

When I take it, it does not make me hungry; this is my gut-check method of seeing if any food or supplement is messing with my insulin response.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Sep-16-11, 10:01

Plan: Atkins- leaning Paleo
Stats: 182/154/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

http://ajpregu.physiology.org/conte...7.full.pdf+html
energy metabolism in the mouse
Effects of conjugated linoleic acid on body fat and
energy metabolism in the mouse

It was an interesting read...
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Apr-29-13, 05:39

Plan: atkins
Stats: 238/238/182 Male 5'8 inches
BF:
Progress:

I have read in some threads that CLA is best taken when you achieved your goal, down to weight you happy with,

CLA then is effective at helping to prevent weight gain, which I can understand, apparently it stops a fat cell from getting bigger ,

I have taken lot of CLA, and has not helped reduce weight, maybe seen slight reduction in belly fat,

I will re-take when down to desired weight
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jun-12-13, 17:56
Registered Member

Stats: 307/286/168 Male 67
BF:
Progress:

I know at least one person whe said it did help her lose weight
BUT at the same time made her diabetes a lot worse. This sort
of goes along with the article that Button mentioned earlier. Now to make things a little more complicated there are 2 main
forms of CLA. On is harmful one is good for you. When you buy
CLA as a supliment it is ALMOST AllWAYS a mix of these 2 even
if you go with a well known respected brand. I did find one brand
that only had the good form but it's about 10 to 20 times as expensive an the others. Now when animals like cows digest grass they form more CLA and it's the health kind not the harmful one. Sure is a shame it's so expensive. By the way CLA
is the exception to the rule it's one trans fat that can be good for you.