Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Nov-11-14, 08:24

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 250/167/175 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%
Default Dr Mike's Blog

I am a fan of Dr. Mike Eades. I lost 80 pounds on Protein Power and PP Life Plan. Regained 30 of it and am back at it. As a result, I am always looking for helpful hints on why I am a Turtle. I came across this blog post this morning that was written in January of this year. In it Dr Mike links to previous posts -- which I also read.

Since I found it helpful, I thought others might too:
http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/...ters/#more-5526

One of the things I admire about Dr Mike is that he keeps up to date on the literature and shares what he has found, even if it is different from what was in PP 20 years ago. I imagine that is why he and Dr Mary Dan are writing a new version of PP. Apparently it will be a revision, and not just a tweak.

This particular post is on starting or re-starting low carb. In it, one of the things he talks about is on muscle cramping and he shares his own experiences. Since I too experience muscle cramps at night and hand cramps while driving, this post was extremely helpful.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Nov-11-14, 08:40

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

That is a terrific post. I put it in the Advice for Newbie's stickie, along with a Dana Carpender post you may also find helpful, both out around the new year. I too look forward to his new book. Love Dr. Mike's straightforward advice.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-15, 08:43

Another long awaited "Catching Up" post from Dr Mike.
His blog, he has an email list now, and off to the South African conference, etc.

http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/...ous/catching-2/
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Oct-21-20, 00:18

Plan: LC/carnivore 6/26/23
Stats: 200/194/137 Female 5 feet 6.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 10%

Benay: the links to Dr Mikes Blog were very helpful
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jan-15-21, 04:23

Dr. Mike has been working on his website (again) and writing a new Weekly Newsletter. Working name had been #NoName, now will be Friday Reflections.

I received the first issue this morning. Highly recommend you join the mailing list if not already on it.

I posted one small section on Covid and Vit D here: https://forum.lowcarber.org/showthr...292#post9394292. Also a good review of Dr. Jason Fung's book, The Cancer Code.

Here's where to sign up: https://www.proteinpower.com/newsletter-sign-up/

Last edited by JEY100 : Fri, Jan-15-21 at 04:37.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jan-15-21, 06:38

Plan: LC/carnivore 6/26/23
Stats: 200/194/137 Female 5 feet 6.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 10%

Thank you!
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jan-15-21, 16:32

Plan: Dr. Bernstein, low carb
Stats: 200/178/155 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 49%

Thanks, Janet. I just subscribed.

Protein Power was my first intro to Low Carb. If I had only stuck to it all those years ago when I first came across it.

I am also indebted to him also for blogging long ago about Habit Burger (originally a Santa Barbara burger chain) and their lettuce wrapped burgers. They are one of our go to places for a quick, low carb meal here in Southern California.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jan-15-21, 20:59

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Thanks Janet, I've signed up for the newsletter. I drifted away in the sous vide years, occasionally checking in whenever someone mentioned his new book recommendations. I've enjoyed all the non-LC books as well as the LC ones.

Protein Power was my first intro to Low Carb in 1999 (recovering from the McDougall program and a torn ACL). With tweaks over the years I'm basically still following it, but with no dairy protein, no grains, no/few legumes, and some intermittent fasting. I like it for the Science and that you personalize what you eat based on basic principles, what you like and what works for you, not someone else's day-by-day menus.

I once commented on the PP website that as a professional woman who works with men who have the same credentials as mine, I found it odd that on their book covers Mary Dan was always hovering half-hidden behind him. He thanked me for pointing it out.

Last edited by deirdra : Fri, Jan-15-21 at 21:16.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jan-16-21, 05:26

Also posted a few days ago, his top 2020 books. At his suggestion I downloaded The Great Influenza from our library e-books.
Even the hard to read (for me) sections on gene mutations are interesting due what is happening right now...the more transmissible UK Covid variant. And the science/medical history sections are broken up by what was happening as the virus moved around the country.
https://www.proteinpower.com/2020-b...ers-dozen-pt-1/