Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-01-03, 00:15

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 155/144/125
BF:
Progress: 37%
Question Any nursing moms with Atkins advice?

I researched all over the web to find out whether nursing moms (my baby is not yet 3 mos) can do Atkins. I heard somewhere that we are to skip induction and go to the lowest carb part of OWL. That's what I did. I also read a transcript of a speech/ workshop Atkins himself had with a woman's group, and he actually said that nursing moms could do Atkins with no problem, and did not even say no induction. However, I thought it best to go to OWL, early stage.

My first week, I lost 6 lbs. I have about 25 to lose. This is my second week, and first I gained 2 lbs, then lost one, so I am about 5 lbs down.

I just discovered the marvels of fitday.com, so I see how I could be doing a bit better with my proportions of fat, carb, and protein.

Here's my question: should a nursing mom, who should be eating about 500 calories more than a non-nursing woman (though I am NOT counting calories), keep to the same % of the food groups as everyone else? I have seen here that it should come out to 70% fat, 5% carb, 25% protein. I will aim for that. But is that right?

Are there any other helpful things for a nursing mom to know? I assume all the protein will be better for my baby than my junky high-carb diet was.

Thanks!
Yaelle
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-01-03, 09:30
Don't dream it be it

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 292.4/249.6/165 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 34%

Actually, Atkins recommends that nursing mothers eat at Maintenance levels.

You can have more veggies and some fruits. You could try adding in some flax o meal and some whole milk yogurt with berries. Eat protein and fat everytime you consume carbs so you won't get as much of an insulin spike.

I avoided induction levels while nursing. My baby is now 8 months old.

Beth
  #3   ^
Old Thu, May-01-03, 09:44

Plan: Atkins (Pre-Maintenance)
Stats: 160/135/130 Female 5'5"
BF:35%/28%/22%
Progress: 83%

Here's something from the Atkins Center website:
Quote:
Can I follow the Atkins Nutritional Approach while I'm pregnant?
Weight loss is not recommended while you are pregnant or breastfeeding, so the Atkins Lifetime Maintenance phase is ideal during this time. As with all phases of Atkins, build your eating program around protein, including meat, poultry and seafood, and healthy natural fats such as olive and flaxseed oil and avocados. Eat plenty of vegetables and one serving of fruit such as strawberries, blueberries or grapefruit daily. Instead of hydrogenated oils, consume healthy fats, seeds and nuts. Cook meat well but don't burn it-heavily charred meats can be unhealthy. Be sure to drink plenty of water. Try to walk 30 minutes a day at a comfortable pace. Avoid getting overheated during exercise and be sure to get plenty of rest. And have fun, this is a very special time!

Expect to gain at least 27 pounds over the full nine months-which will include baby, placenta and fluid. The weight should all come off a few weeks after delivery. Nursing your baby burns more calories and contracts your uterus, so it's good for both of you.

When pregnant or nursing, supplement your diet with the following nutrients daily:

Atkins Basic #1 Multivitamin: 1 tablet x 3
Atkins Essential Oils: 1 soft-gel tablet x 3
Calcium: 1,000 mg
Magnesium: 500 mg
Zinc: 50 mg

Beth gave great advice. A maintenance plan with plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables, along with products such as flax-o-meal and LC bread would probably be good.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, May-01-03, 10:03

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 155/144/125
BF:
Progress: 37%
Question How much more should I eat, though?

Thank you both for your prompt replies. I am sure you shouldn't try and LOSE weight while pregnant, but I am not pregnant and I have plenty of fat to burn, let me tell ya!

I did, as I said, find a quote from Atkins where he said unequivocally that a nursing mom may follow Atkins, and he did not even say that you should start at maintenance.

While switching one's diet from hi carb to maintenance Atkins is great for health, I am sure, I would like to lose weight.

I will stick with the OWL but I did want to know, for example, how much healthy carbs (fruits and veggies) should I add to my diet? I am having a hard time getting my carb #s below 35. Would 35 g be a good way to start? Because of my extra nutritional needs, I could really go hungry on induction, but I would like to actually lose weight.

Since day 8, by which I had lost 6 lbs, I gained 2, lost one, and now plateaued a little. I am on day 12.

Thanks!

Yaelle
  #5   ^
Old Thu, May-01-03, 10:17

Plan: Atkins (Pre-Maintenance)
Stats: 160/135/130 Female 5'5"
BF:35%/28%/22%
Progress: 83%

In my opinion, I think 35g sounds fine. The most important thing is where those carbs come from. Assuming it's mainly low GI fruits and veggies, I think you're on the right track. Have you read the Atkins book? Atkins For Life would be a good resource, as it has charts pertaining to which fruit, veggie, legume, dairy, and grain choices are the best.

Examples of the better choices:
Veggies to eat often: salad veggies, broccoli, asparagus, cauliflower, spinach
Fruits to eat often: berries, apple, tangerine, grapefruit
Dairy: hard cheeses, cream cheese, cream
Grains: 1/4 cup rice (long-grain, brown)
1/2 cup plain old-fashioned oatmeal
1/3 cup corn kernels
1/3 cup whole-wheat cereal* (Wheatena)

Just some examples. Cruise www.atkinscenter.com and you'll get a good grasp on it.