Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Feb-03-20, 20:42

Plan: Keto
Stats: 370/329/240 Male 74
BF:
Progress:
Default Starting to run again on keto

I have been low carb for just over a month now and have gone from 370 to 329 and have recently picked up running to speed up weight loss.

The problem I have been having is first time I ran I was able to do 4mph for about 2 miles. Then the next time 4mph for 1 mile. After 2 weeks of running I feel like I can only run 1/4 of a mile at 4mph before my legs feel like lead. I know it's generous to call 4mph hour running as it's more of a power walk or slow jog for most.

I usually jog as much as I can at the start of the workout then I'll often do a power walk and jog mixture for the rest some times doing 6-9 miles in a day 4 days a week.

The interesting thing is I don't feel like it's my cardiovascular system that's slowing me down as I still have my breath and my heart isn't racing as it typically would when I run.

Can anyone offer me advice on jogging/running on keto?
Am I just trying to start out with too much too soon and not giving my legs time to heal or am I missing something?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Feb-03-20, 22:09

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

You have lost a LOT of weight in a very short time. All of your muscles and connective tissue needs to snap into place. I have been losing weight very, very slowly and it impacts my performance a lot. I think you just need to go very slow on the running until your body has adapted to the lower weight. You aren't just losing fat - you are losing minerals, blood, muscle, etc. And you have lost a LOT very quickly. You are just depleted for now until your body adjusts to the lower weight.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Feb-22-20, 08:36

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 205/206/185 Female 5ft 5in
BF:
Progress:

DaveSS, congrats on such an amazing start!

If you’ve only started low carbing a month ago, your liver has not yet learned to make ketones in the quantity you would use to run around like usual. It takes an average of 6 months to really feel normal again during exercise (and better than normal).

As an aside, I would really wait until you’re closer to 200lbs to start running, so as not to stress the joints. A fast walk like you’ve been doing is actually better!

Good work on staying healthy!

<3
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Sep-28-20, 06:02
Registered Member

Plan: keto
Stats: 205/197/180 Female 5'11
BF:
Progress:

Congrats on losing that so much weight, I would advice to take it slower though, because you will also lose muscle mass which is very important to keep note and maintain while losing weight.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jul-05-23, 09:21

Plan: Jenny Craig
Stats: 173/165/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress:

Great job!

I think it is best if you don't go too hard on yourself. It's much better if you consistently workout without killing yourself, compared to going all out running faster and for longer but only once a month for example.
Try to think of this as finding a sustainable solution. It's not likely that you will exercise consistently at a high intensity for a couple of years. It is much more likely that you can workout a fair amount every day, with a couple of exceptions, and maintain this schedule for many years to come.
Hope you find this helpful.