Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, May-17-08, 09:37

Plan: To Lose - HHR
Stats: 280/225/179 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 54%
Talking Maxine Delurks, an Intro

Hello, I am Maxine, a middle aged woman who has always fought her weight, sometimes successfully but mostly not as I have ended up with triple digits to lose. I was a chubby child and growing up in the 60’s and 70’s that was a very rare sight. My family, while not dirt poor was always short of funds and our diet consisted of highly processed carbs with sugar added for flavoring. Protein was only served as a condiment at the evening meal! My siblings were slim eating that diet, but I was not. All of us were active, we walked everywhere, playing outside all day long, no TV because there was very poor reception where we lived and only one channel, lol! No fast food restaurants either. At six years old I was already somewhat overweight and continued to slowly gain ending up about 30 pounds overweight all thru high school (and almost no one else was). Looking back now it is easy to see I was carb sensitive. Thru an intense exercise program and constantly starving myself I managed to keep my weight somewhere between normal and just a little chubby till my early thirties. Then I totally lost control of my weight when an injury sidelined me made that exercise regime impossible to continue. I started gaining and then dieting and then gaining even more back so ending up fatter than ever. I know that a low carb WOL is the only way I can reclaim an energetic and lighter body as low fat, high carb surely did not work for me. I’m glad to meet you all!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, May-17-08, 11:31

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 156/146.8/139 Female 69 inches
BF:

Welcome Maxine - glad you found us here...

I was a "normal" child until I turned 8 then ate my way up to 235 by the time I was 16.

You're among friends....

Julie
  #3   ^
Old Sat, May-17-08, 15:41

BF:

Julie, thanks for the welcome. I do believe this will be a great hangout as visting here will inspire me. Congratulations on your success!
  #4   ^
Old Sat, May-17-08, 15:48

Plan: LC w/o "counting" carbs.
Stats: 320/259/185 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 45%

I also grew up with "normal-sized" siblings who ate like pigs.

Welcome!
  #5   ^
Old Sat, May-17-08, 16:11

Plan: My Own
Stats: 215/212/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

Hi Maxine and welcome! You're already making progress, and I think you'll find a lot of support here.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, May-17-08, 19:02
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 264.5/257/155 Female 5 Foot, 5 Inches
BF:
Progress: 7%

Hi Maxine and welcome to TDC.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, May-18-08, 07:55

BF:

Thank you all for the welcome! I'm going with the thought that reading the forums will help keep my resolve strong and my focus on seeing results in girth reduction and sane food choices.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, May-18-08, 10:13
Registered Member

Plan: who knows
Stats: 337/204/180 Female 67 inches
BF:100% pure
Progress: 85%

Gee, Maxine, I could have written that! In fact, until you said you were about 30 pounds overweight at the end of high school I hadn't thought about the fact that I was only 20 pounds overweight then. I always seemed to be so huge.

Welcome to TDC.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, May-18-08, 15:29

BF:

Liz, I always thought I was huge back then too, but looking back at photos from that era, actually I was just curvy with a bit of a tummy and heavier thighs than most. I remember wearing a Junior size 11 when most of the other girls wore a 5 or 7. And sizes back then were smaller than they are now. I would love to look like that now, my how perceptions change with time.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, May-18-08, 16:13

Plan: LC
Stats: 294/289.4/175 Female 64 in
BF:yikes!!
Progress: 4%

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Maxine.
Liz, I always thought I was huge back then too, but looking back at photos from that era, actually I was just curvy with a bit of a tummy and heavier thighs than most. I remember wearing a Junior size 11 when most of the other girls wore a 5 or 7. And sizes back then were smaller than they are now. I would love to look like that now, my how perceptions change with time.

That sounds like me. I also wore a size 11 in high school, but I was in pretty good shape because I exercised all the time, but of course I thought I was huge because all my friends wore a 5 or 7; I even had one friend who wore a 0!! No wonder I thought I was huge! Looking back at pictures of me, I actually looked great.

Welcome, Maxine, to the TDC!

We're all here to support and encourage each other on this WOL.