Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Aug-06-03, 18:39
Kid R

Plan: Maintenance
Stats: // Female 5"1'
BF:Too darn much!
Progress: 90%
Default % of food elements on Atkins maintenance

I'm moving to maintenance (PP and Atkins, with the yogurt from the Go Diet thrown in), and am confused about Dr. Atkins' recommendations about the percentages of fat and protein to eat. Let's say that I'm eating 50-55 grams of carbs a day (which I'm not yet; that's just for the sake of example). How much fat should be included? My minimum protein, according to PP, is about 56 grams. But that's just the minimum and can obviously go higher. So how to balance the protein and fat allotment?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Aug-06-03, 20:45
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Figur eout how many calories a day you're eating now. You can use the 10-12x weight, or adjust it to what you're currently having. Since you weigh so little, you should probably at least have 1200 a day. Then use the formula 1g protien = 4 cals, 1g carb = 4 cals, and 1g fat = 9 cals.

56g protien = 224 cals

55g carb = 220 cals

220 + 224 = 444 cals

1200 - 444 = 756 cals needed from fat

756 / 9 = 84g fat

The days you eat more protien or less carbs the numbers would change, but it gives you something to shoot for. I don't know the percentages really. Atkins made a comment that the Zone's 40/30/30 ratio was much like Atkins maintanance, so you could try following that to make things easier. The zone has quite a few cookbooks out with recipes that hit that percentage, you would have to adjust servings to meet your needs though.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Aug-07-03, 05:18
Kid R

Plan: Maintenance
Stats: // Female 5"1'
BF:Too darn much!
Progress: 90%

Thanks, Lady Belle. That was exactly what I wanted to know!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Aug-07-03, 08:45
Contributing Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 236/196/150 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 47%

Actually Atkins says to keep your protein level the same throughout. As carbs go up we decrease fat. Protein should always be 30% of your calories.