Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Sweet treats
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#406   ^
Old Thu, Jan-19-06, 03:37

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 198/175/158 Female 5'10"
BF:I am 5'10" tall
Progress: 57%

I can't believe I havent tried this yet, it sounds addicting. quick and easy is good though!
Sponsored Links
  #407   ^
Old Sat, Jan-21-06, 16:05

Plan: South Beach 4-14-2009
Stats: 388/388/150 Female 5'5
BF:too much!!
Progress: 0%

I just made this recipe following Mary's Terrific instructions and YUM!!!! It turned out great. This is a Keeper for me. Thank you!
  #408   ^
Old Sun, Jan-22-06, 14:32

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 286/207/115 Female 5' 0"
BF:
Progress: 46%

Last time I tried the Mock Danish I just really couldn't get past the sweet scrambled egg taste and texture. I had developed a cooking technique that would give it the taste and texture of cheesecake but if I'm going for cheesecake I'd just as soon make a cheesecake.

However... the other day I got this craving for something sweet and thought a mock danish would be the quickest thing to make. To try to avoid the "sweet scrambled eggs" texture and taste, I decided to add a few "dry" ingredients.

First I added 2 T almond flour... this was good. Then I added 1 T almond Flour and 1 T whey protein powder... this too was good. I wanted to add some fiber so then I added 1 T almond flour, 1 T protein powder, and 1 T ground golden flax... OMG... this was so good. For the past few days I have been experimenting with adding lc jam in the center... leaving some of the cream cheese in chunks... adding vanilla and splenda to the cream cheese and then blending half in the md and dropping the other half in globs on top (this was VERY good). I have finally decided that I love the taste of the vanilla, splenda, and cream cheese with the md... and although it is really good as molten chunks in the md, I haven't been able to evenly distribute it so that I get a taste in every bite... so... today I just made the md and then whipped up some warm cream cheese, vanilla, and splenda to spread on top. I cut the md into 3 layers and spread the sweetened cream cheese on top. HEAVENLY!!!

If you don't like the "egg" texture of the md, try adding in some dry ingredients.

For the "spread" I heat the cream cheese in the microwave and then add 1 pkg splenda for each oz of cream cheese... I just add vanilla until it looks right.

Phyllis
  #409   ^
Old Mon, Jan-23-06, 13:46
Registered Member

Plan: phase 1
Stats: 231/220/150 Female 66"
BF:
Progress:

How Many Carbs Is This? It Sounds Super.
  #410   ^
Old Mon, Jan-23-06, 21:35

Plan: Dr.Atkins
Stats: 315/230/160 Female 5"6
BF:
Progress: 55%
Cool Out of this world!

I made this recipe and it was out of this world so far I have made it twice. It is a wonderful break from plain eggs. It also gives the sweet cravings a dose. I will probably make this very often and will always make sure I have cream cheese in the frig if for nothing else a good morning mock danish. Thank you so much for posting this recipe, it is delightful, I suggest everyone who is tried of the egg breakfast to give this a whirl, I just melt some butter after my danish is done add some cinn. and splenda and let it melt then pour it over, MMMMM, yummy!
  #411   ^
Old Tue, Jan-24-06, 07:09

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 286/207/115 Female 5' 0"
BF:
Progress: 46%

Quote:
Originally Posted by baby mia
How Many Carbs Is This? It Sounds Super.

I have no idea... I haven't done the calculations. It would really depend on what you put into it. There are many options out there for calculating the carbs for the ingredients that you choose to use.

Almond flour is going to add the most carbs... flax is almost entirely fiber but it does have a tiny bit of carb... the carbs in protein powder depends on the powder you use (I used plain with no flavor or sweetener). Play around with the "dry" ingredients that you use and see what works best for you. The mix of "dry" ingredients will affect the taste, texture, carbs, and calories. The basic idea is that if you can't handle the "sweet scrambled egg" taste and texture of the MD, adding "dry" ingredients can help with the taste and texture. Many of you love the MD just the way it is but for those of you who can't get past the texture, adding "dry" ingredients is an option.

This weekend I spread one with butter and topped with cinnamon and splenda... awesome cinnamon toast!!!! Next time I will add a lot more cinnamon, though.

Phyllis
  #412   ^
Old Thu, Jan-26-06, 18:48

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 326/235/180 Female 6 ft.
BF:
Progress: 62%

I, too, have made a couple of different versions I thought were pretty good...
Basic recipe
2 oz. cream cheese
1 egg
1 T almond flour
1 T poly D +

One variation
3 T Natural whey protein
1 T Davinci vanilla
1 T Davinci toasted marshmellow

second variation
1 scoop chocolate protein powder
1 T Davinci chocolate
1T toasted marshmellow

Both were good.

Has anyone tried to make these ahead of time and either cook them when you're ready or eaten them a few hours after making them? I have alway eaten them right out of the microwave!
  #413   ^
Old Fri, Jan-27-06, 06:57
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:
Question Mock Danish

What Is Poly D? Do You Know How Many Carbs These Two Recipes Are? Where Do You Get The Marshmallow Stuff At? Thanks For The Recipes. Your Comments Are Great. I Hesitate To Try New Things Because I'm Not Real Good With Figuring The Carb Count. God Bless You And Have A Great Day.
  #414   ^
Old Sat, Jan-28-06, 16:47

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 326/235/180 Female 6 ft.
BF:
Progress: 62%

baby mia
The poly D is some fiber stuff, I ordered it from netrition, this is what the site says:
PolyD Fiber and PolyD Fiber Plus

PolyD Fiber is a fiber supplement. Also available in a sweetened version.

PolyD Fiber is 100% polydextrose.

PolyD Fiber Plus is polydextrose sweetened with sucralose.

PolyD Fiber can be used as a sugar and/or fat replacer and adds a significant amount of fiber to foods. It is 90% fiber. It provides about 1 calorie per gram vs. 4 calories per gram for other carbs. It keeps foods moist, and acts as a bulking agent replacing fat and sugar volume. When water is added, polydextrose forms a gel that mimics some of the functional characteristics of fat. PolyD Fiber’s prebiotic effects help promote growth of beneficial intestinal bacteria.

As a fiber supplement, stir PolyD Fiber or PolyD Fiber Plus into your favorite drink. It dissolves best in warm or hot liquids. It tends to gel in cold liquids.

1 teaspoon of PolyD Fiber Plus contains the approximate sweetness of 1 teaspoon of sugar.

If additional sweetening is desired, add one or more of the following: Fiberfit (a sucralose-sweetened liquid fiber supplement with 8-1 sweetness of sugar), stevia powder, stevia liquid, xylitol, inulin and erythritol.

244-0001
LifeSource Foods
PolyD Fiber
1 lb. (454g)
Nutrition Facts
Serving Size: 2 Tbsp (26 grams)
Servings Per Container: 17

Amount
Per Serving % Daily
Value*

Total Calories 25

Calories From Fat 0

Total Fat 0 g

Cholesterol 0 mg

Sodium 0 mg

Total Carbohydrates 26 g

Dietary Fiber 23 g

Sugars 1 g

Protein 0 g

Vitamin A 0%
Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 0%
Iron 0%

*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.

Ingredients: polydextrose.
244-0002
LifeSource Foods
PolyD Fiber Plus
1 lb. (454g)
Nutrition Facts
Serving Size: 2 tsp (8 grams)
Servings Per Container: 56

Amount
Per Serving % Daily
Value*

Total Calories 10

Total Fat 0 g

Cholesterol 0 mg

Sodium 0 mg

Total Carbohydrates 8 g

Dietary Fiber 7 g

Sugars 0 g

Protein 0 g

Vitamin A 0%
Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 0%
Iron 0%
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.

Ingredients: polydextrose, sucralose.

kevinpa uses it a lot, you can find some of his recipes in that section on this board.

The Davinci sugar free syrups I ordered on line. Our SuperWalMart also carries a few in the coffee isle, but I've never gotten any there-I think they have vanilla and hazelnut and I have not been interested in those flavors. When I get to "the big city" there is a TJMaxx-I saw some Davinci and another brand of sugarfree syrups by their coffee/tea stuff. I got coconut there. I use the strawberry, pineapple, and rootbeer (not all together, sometimes the strawberry, pineapple and sometimes those with coconut) to make snocones--my 12 year old son really likes the rootbeer.

I really can't give you a carb count--it all depends on the brand of cream cheese, whey protein powder, or whatever you use.

I went to the store earlier and the cream cheese had <1 to 2 carbs per serving, the whey protein varies,too. I am sorry I can't be specific, I know what you mean about figuring the counts--I like it to say X carbs in X amount!

Yesterday I made one of these mock danish, as someone else mentioned, with coconut and I used coconut syrup---oh my!!!!! Yummmmmmmm. I bought some more chocolate protein powder today and I thought I might try chocolate with coconut!!!

Best of luck on your journey~
  #415   ^
Old Sat, Jan-28-06, 17:41
Kitchen Experimenter

Plan: General LC Maintenance
Stats: 230/160/165 Male 70 inches
BF:way less now
Progress: 108%

polyd and polyd plus have the same carb count and guess what.......its the same as splenda

2 teaspoons = 1 net carb
1/4 c. = 6 net carbs
1/2 c. = 12 net carbs
1 c. = 24 net carbs

the reason I like to use it over splenda is the texture you get that splenda lacks.
  #416   ^
Old Sun, Jan-29-06, 09:03
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

LAURA W. AND kevinpa, I WANT TO THANK YOU ALL FOR HELPING ME. THIS INFO IS GREAT. I'LL TAKE ALL THE ADVICE YOU HAVE TO OFFER. I APPRECIATE YOUR HELP. GOD BLESS YOU AND HAVE A BLESSED DAY.
  #417   ^
Old Mon, Feb-27-06, 09:21

Plan: Atkins - weight is kilos
Stats: 140/125.1/85 Female 173 cm
BF:
Progress: 27%

Well.. i tried it today and admittedly it tastes great but i am wondring what a real Danish is. If its what i think it is, its a form of pastry and what i ended up with had no resemblence to that. Its not a critique - im just curious.

Hugz
Zuzzan
  #418   ^
Old Mon, May-08-06, 14:40

Plan: atkins
Stats: 120/100/95 Female 1.60 cms
BF:
Progress:

hi there...I'm new here....I saw the recipe of the MOCK DANISH and I thought..mmmmm....but I never eat the whole egg...I always use just the egg white..can it work with two egg whites? ...maybe I can add a teaspoon of carquick to replace the yolk?...or it doesn´t matter?.....I'm really happy to have joyned here...I'm venezuelan......and here there isn't much culture of lc cooking....
  #419   ^
Old Fri, Sep-22-06, 15:53
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

I made this today. It's the first sweet thing I've had so far.

I don't think "divine" would be too strong a word.

I used 2.5oz cream cheese
1 large egg
2 packets Splenda (it would have been ok with less I suppose)
3 drops apricot extract
3 drops date-nut extract
before done cooking I added 1 Tbsp SF apricot jam

I put the cream cheese in a rounded plastic microwavable bowl (the cheap clear storage container type, probably holds about half a litre or 1.5 pints) and nuked it for 15 seconds first so it would be soft but not melted.

I took that out and mashed and mixed with a fork, then mixed the other ingredients in and stirred until it was all mixed, although there were still little pieces of cream cheese.

The microwave issue is probably the main culprit of some of the confusion on this thread. I've had microwaves that took 3.5 minutes to cook something my current one makes rubber or cinders out of in 1:15.

So first I nuked it for 30 seconds, took it out and looked at it. It was cooking but still obviously not done.

I added 1 Tablespoon Keto sugarfree apricot jam to the middle (the middle was pretty much liquidy still, the edges just starting to slightly-firm).

I nuked it again for 30 seconds and then looked at it. It still seemed a little too runny, so I nuked it for another 15 seconds and then looked at it again. It was still slightly jiggly in like 80% of the center but only slightly, and I was worried overcooking it would be bad, so I decided to try it like that.

It looked positively revolting -- a sort of "eggish desert wasteland" of indeterminate color.

The apricot jam was now hot and I spread it over the top of the whole thing, and I let it sit for about 5 minutes, during which it did appear to firm up a little more.

Then I ate it. I died of joy, but I'm back!

The texture was like a sort of moist, not-quite-wet, yet definitely not quite dry either, bread-pudding. I think if this had been titled sweet breadpudding instead of danish, people would not be expecting bread or pastry. It's clear you could make this "breadish" by adding carbquick or almond flour or some protein powder or flax seed or other things if you wanted, but I don't find that necessary to still think it's great. If I had cooked it just a little more I am certain I could have slid it out of the bowl and held it in my hand once it cooled, so it does solidify decently, it's just a very gentle solid.

Even without the jam and with one less splenda packet it would have been awesome. The taste of the 'breadpudding' thing was incredible. I was wildly guessing on the extracts, tried to only add a few drops as I learned the hard way about overdoing them, but it was great. However, the apricot jam added to it, and all of it warm, verged on lascivious it was so good!

I'll be on a slightly relaxed version of induction for the rest of my natural life at this rate, so I can't have this very often really unless some of my day is a protein shake and steak to push the protein with super low carb, but it was so nice. The next time, I'm going to use chocolate extract (I know it isn't really that, but they call it that), a couple teaspoons of high-class cocoa, and a little bit of davinci raspberry sweetener-syrup (to balance the cocoa), with some sugarfree raspberry fruitjam on the top.

I have a ton of extracts and about a dozen big davinci bottles, several jams as well, so my imagination is running wild on the options here. I really want to figure out how to make it like carrot cake or spice cake and then add a little sweetened cream cheese on top for a single-serving dessert.

I ordered the 'new' version of fiberfit which is a liquid that has massive fiber in it and is something like 8x sweeter than sugar, using the same liquid splenda that davinci does, so maybe I can replace the splenda packets with a little of that.

If this had cream added, it would be cheesecake. It's interesting that it comes out a little more breadpuddingish than that.

RN
  #420   ^
Old Thu, Sep-28-06, 20:07

Plan: Lemonade (Master Cleanse)
Stats: 185.7/155/165 Female 5 ft 1 inch
BF:It's all body fat!
Progress: 148%
Default I like bread

I like this version of the mock danish, can't wait until Saturday when I give it a try. Thanks so much for sharing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssofian
I read with interest the mock danish that accidentally became bread-like.
I made beef stroganoff tonight (sans noodles) and decided to try the bread with it- hey, I figured if it didn't turn out decent at least I only spent 5 minutes on it!

Here's the recipe I used, pretty much the same as the one posted much earlier on this thread:

3 eggs
6 oz softened cream cheese
about 3/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
Italian herb mix
small bit of salt and pepper
1-1.5 tbsp olive oil

plain soy protein powder (I didnt measure this, just used small amounts until the mixture was doughy)

1 tsp whipping cream.

I microwaved the whole thing for 4 minutes and let it set for another minute or two. I sliced it and buttered it and WOW! MUCH better than I expected.
I knew it tasted familiar but couldnt place it- finally I did. It tastes (and has the texture of) focaccia bread! Its a bit more moist and egg-y but close enough for something that only took me 6 minutes including prep and cool down! I'm so excited. It tasted good dipped in my stroganoff, and I am now looking forward to making actual sandwiches! I am not big on the low carb breads- the only one I really like is the rosemary walnut from Panera/St. Louis Bread Company and is too expensive to buy that often!