Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Oct-25-23, 00:55

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default Why Stone Age recipes could be the future of food

Quote:
Why Stone Age recipes could be the future of food

The global standard diet is wrecking our health, argues Taras Grescoe - who offers a surprising solution in his new book The Lost Supper

If you have dreamed of eating neolithic bread while feeling a combination of existential terror and nostalgia, this is the book for you. The Lost Supper is the Canadian food writer Taras Grescoe’s account of his search for the food we used to eat, and his writing is so detailed and obsessive I forgive him the religious-themed title. He travels a burning world, noting its destruction – dried lakes dotted with the carcasses of baby flamingos, the dying olive trees of southern Italy, the arid monocultures of north America – like a Cassandra who can’t stop eating.

It’s not a cheery read. We feed eight billion people nowadays and the payback is, as Grescoe says, “pollution, greenhouse gas emissions, overfishing, soil degradation and habitat destruction. Industrial monocultures are polluting the soil, water, and air. The global standard diet is wrecking our health, and our hunger for resources is leading us to encroach on the world’s last remaining patches of wilderness, unleashing global pandemics”. Grescoe has a novel, though obvious solution. What if we ate the food of the past?

We meet him in the ruins of Catahoyuk, Turkey, an 8,000-year-old city whose inhabitants slept on the skeletons of the dead, looking for emmer grain. He wants to know what it tastes like: in some ways he is a food critic projecting himself onto the whole of human history, and encouraging us to live by the lessons he gleans from the past – like a man who went to a farmers’ market and liked it so much he tried to globalise it.

What did Viking biscuits taste like? It’s not a bad question. Neolithic man was as greedy as we, he feels sure: “I’m pretty certain that often the reason we bothered going over a hilltop, or to the far side of the river, was to discover how things tasted over there”. That’s Grescoe too: Neolithic Man, c’est moi.

This book is a combination of greed and dust. He goes to South Carolina to find the pigs we ought to eat – rare breeds, well-kept – and loiters near a slaughterhouse that houses the pigs we really shouldn’t eat. Here, his prejudice leaks out. He couldn’t be more respectful to a native Canadian as he seeks the lost tuber camas, but when he meets a southern pig-farmer he wonders “about the advisability of following a pig farmer named Tank down a dirt road in rural South Carolina. Over platefuls of sausages at a picnic table, talk turned to how pig farms were meant to be good places to dispose of a corpse”. But Tank is a sport. “No Dude,” he said, “Pigs will leave the bones and shit out the teeth. That’s evidence. Better way is to dump it in the ocean wrapped in chain link fence”. If Tank then winked at Grescoe, he doesn’t say.

Much of it is fascinating. I didn’t know that 90 per cent of milk comes from “freakishly productive Holstein Friesian cows all of whom are descended from only two bulls,” or that “half our calories come from only three grasses” or that it takes 6,400 gallons of water to produce a pound of British lamb. (Sheep are demonic here. I will never look fondly on them again). Danish Iron Age man, in contrast, had 60 different plants in his stomach and a functioning biome, and if he had other woes, that is not Grescoe’s business.

He travels to the Yorkshire Dales to write about what is probably, judging by the prose, his first love: cheese. A Sharpham Cremet “is like the stanza of an amorous Shakespearean sonnet”; a Baron Bigod is a “Falstaffian limerick of a cheese”. He invokes fellow obsessives: one calls the impact of pasteurisation, starter cultures and hygiene “a Holocaust” of raw milk microbes; another says, “to bake the bread I wanted I needed a whole different civilisation”.

Grescoe is an idealist: I don’t think subsistence farming – “the dream of finding a patch of land of one’s own, to devote to honest toil and a quiet life” – is as much fun as he thinks it is. But he is ambitious for solutions. The answer is not eating high-protein, low-impact insects, though he tries, solemnly concluding that “after massacring the megafauna on every continent and fishing our way down the oceanic trophic chain to the realm of jellyfish and plankton” we must now consume “the vermin that barnyard fowl peck on”.

The answer, rather, is the sort of small-scale, mixed farming found everywhere until the middle of the 20th century: he offers a bucolic small farm in Switzerland as evidence. “Diversity confers resiliency. Agriculture need not be the problem.” I am open to Grescoe’s vision, particularly since I have learned than you can have McDonald’s delivered to your house. I am not sure how practical he is, but I am not sure how practical what we have is. No civilisation that normalises McDonald’s by Deliveroo deserves to survive, and he strongly insinuates that, like the flamingo chicks of the dustbowl, we won’t.

The Lost Supper: Searching for the Future of Food in the Flavors of the Past is published by Graystone

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/books/w...-onward-journey

Quote:
In the tradition of Michael Pollan, Anthony Bourdain, and Mark Bittman, “a surprising, flavorsome tour of ancient cuisines” (Kirkus ★)—from Neolithic bread to ancient Roman fish sauce—and why reviving the foods of the past is the key to saving the future.

Many of us are worried (or at least we should be) about the impacts of globalization, pollution, and biotechnology on our diets. Whether it's monoculture crops, hormone-fed beef, or high-fructose corn syrup, industrially-produced foods have troubling consequences for us and the planet. But as culinary diversity diminishes, many people are looking to a surprising place to safeguard the future: into the past.

The Lost Supper explores an idea that is quickly spreading among restaurateurs, food producers, scientists, and gastronomes around the world: that the key to healthy and sustainable eating lies not in looking forward, but in looking back to the foods that have sustained us through our half-million-year existence as a species.

Acclaimed author Taras Grescoe introduces readers to the surprising and forgotten flavors whose revival is captivating food-lovers around the world: ancient sourdough bread last baked by Egyptian pharaohs; raw-milk farmhouse cheese from critically endangered British dairy cattle; ham from Spanish pata negra pigs that have been foraging on acorns on a secluded island since before the United States was a nation; and olive oil from wild olive trees uniquely capable of resisting quickly evolving pests and modern pathogens.

From Ancient Roman fish sauce to Aztec caviar to the long-thought-extinct silphium, The Lost Supper is a deep dive into the latest frontier of global gastronomy—the archaeology of taste. Through vivid writing, history, and first-hand culinary experience, Grescoe sets out a provocative case: in order to save these foods, he argues, we've got to eat them.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lost-Suppe.../dp/1771647639/

https://www.amazon.com/Lost-Supper-.../dp/1771647639/

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Oct-25-23, 02:21

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Gee, I think pigs are also ancient, and also got eaten. The fastidious squeemy vapors are appropriate for industrial farming, which shouldn't be allowed. And of course we have the most, we're the capital of capitalism.

If family farms came back, that would satisfy the people who want a rural lifestyle, AND the people who don't. There's no law that the super-rich should arrange things only for their own satisfaction.

Dr. Davis, in Wheatbelly, found those ancient grains. But they are still grains. There's nothing magic about them except stored easily to make beer and bread.

And of course, that was reason enough

I think it's part of the hardcore vegan following the profit, also. Why else with would universities like Harvard and Tufts ignore science as they create false studies.

They don't have to disclose their belief system. But if it distorts their science... maybe they should?
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Oct-25-23, 09:20

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 225/224/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 2%

Wow, that book would be a great read!!

As I have a small farm. With just a few farm animals, the lessons of self sufficiency brings broader views.

And conflict.

When land is wooded, the trees need to come down to develop grasslands. Trees need to be kept strategically. And number of varieties increased. The deer eat shrubs and leaves they can reach; a closed canopy kills off lower branches, and kills the grasses. The trees are good firewood and provides shade. But not food, other than nuts.

Building pasture is critical to producing feed animals. They graze an area, drop fertilizer and move on. At keast they did prior to fences separating properties. These days smaller zones for a couple days of feeding is a mimic; move the grazers every couple of days. Let grasses/ shrub regrow between visits. The cattle) sheep/ geese/ chickens, do the mowing.

As for other foods, when food is scarce, having apples in root cellar is reassuring. When winter squash is stacked up for winter storage, the worries of food decreases. Add onions, potatoes.

Eating just meat is a modern luxury. One I indulge in. Butfood scarcity and self sufficiency demands all options.

Im fortunate to live in a sweet spot. The weather allows not just apples and pears, but peaches ,too. The grasses love the cool temps of fall, winter and spring. Hot dry summers can send some grasses into dormancy. Decreasing feed for the grazers.

Having a variety of food stuffs, like veg, fruits nuts and meats, is critical to fill a larder and a root celler. The luxury of just meat disappears.

Take care of the land. Its what gives the meat and veg, fruit and nuts and berries.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Oct-26-23, 04:18

BF:

Sustainable farming should be the only ways allowed. That would take care of factory farms and the plight of the rural people, all at once!

I could be happy on a pound of grass-fed hamburger a day. Probably not eaten all at once. And that would be a reasonable food budget for one person. If I add a slice of cheese on top for each burger, I've increased many nutrients for less than doubling the price. Certainly a diet of rice and beans would be cheaper, but it wouldn't contribute the array of nutrition I need to recover from my decades of poor nutrition, and what it did to me as a result. I'm still at the age where I pay for prescriptions, and the costs of autoimmune drugs are staggering. That's where I'm saving money

Since DH and I suffer from fatigue, self-sufficiency is not an option as it would have been when we were young and strong. Now, we only need to get half of it back to have a healthy seniorhood. Between time compression of years of disaster combined with being sick for so long, I have not felt my age in a linear progression in a long time. In all ways, it is a noble goal.

My own theories hold that we are omnivores who need animal food. Like carbohydrates themselves, plants are not necessary for life, but they are cheap and filling fun. They are awesome for culinary enjoyment, as phrased by the book, Toxic Superfoods.

I think we developed to live in widely varying regions of weather and possible crops. All the way to the Inuit or Masai or other places we can glimpse of how it was before. And still is. If they eat the Western Industrialized Diet, they get sicker, faster.

It's the enzyme pattern, which I first saw discussed in the book Death by Food Pyramid. The first half explained how we got off track. The second half is how to get back on again, and not by declaring any one way the best. Only by explaining why there really is A Way for each one of us. All I am certain of is that it ranges from vegetarian to carnivore. There's room for everyone's ancestors. We have to figure out what kind got handed down to us.

The closest we have is DNA suggestions. Though early work suggests people inherit the genes to be successful on plant-based diets. Which means it can't possibly be good for everyone. The food pyramid wasn't, but there were varying levels of damage. I think us here, who have proven ourselves to be carb-sensitive by nature, were the front runners when it came to getting hurt by a plant-based diet.

It was more balanced with the Four Food Groups, which is what I learned. Animal foods equal to plant foods, and leeway to choose your servings. My DNA is 97% places with short growing seasons. If I balance my plate accordingly, I get healthier.

My anxiety improved after three weeks on Atkins. Before I lost anything but water weight. Everyone should eat to their enzymes.

It's all about the bio-availability.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Oct-26-23, 06:43

BF:

Yhe reality is that we cannot live without factiry food. The acres of wheat. The feedlots of cows. The mass pig farming. These developed because it was cost effective.

We cannot suddenly drop these methods. That is catastrophic. One country tried forcing organic only and it resulted in severe good shortages.

Vote with your dollar.

Support the production of better quality food and production will increease.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Oct-27-23, 05:41

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
Vote with your dollar.

Support the production of better quality food and production will increease.

Exactly. I started with half, but now, 90% of the meat, eggs, and dairy we eat is NOT factory farmed. I discovered that, in my area, choosing organic products dodged a lot of the UPF we've been warned about.

Once I tamed my appetite with Atkins, and currently supporting a smaller body so I need less, means I can eat smaller portions when I get better quality. To get more satiation and nutrition.

And my autoimmune illness is fussy. In general, it recognizes that plants are trying to kill me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1c...owCarbDownUnder
Famous Dr. Chaffee lecture on Youtube!

From years of ill health my plant defenses have been so eroded I save a lot of money by not buying grains and produce. Those always had low satiation scores for me, so in a sense, they were wasted money.

By supporting the kinds of foods we want to eat, and recognizing the poisonous nature of today's foods, I can only think of how I felt on premixed protein shakes with lots of additives, fillers, binders, and other chemical concoctions.

And how I feel now, using only Naked Whey protein and real foods to make my protein smoothies. It's a dramatic difference, enough to keep me reading every label

I can find organic foods in my tiny downtown supermarket, which is not hip or trendy and neither are the customers. That money pressure is what works.

That's also activism.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Oct-29-23, 18:05

BF:

I have also found that with a garden and a few food animals, there comes a better understanding of food and production.

These days meals are very simple: meat and veg. Could be a stir fry. Or just meat. Veggies are sauted or microwaved. Occasionally raw: lettuces and tomatoes and cukes.

Food prep is real meats. Quick fry, bbq or stewed. Added veggies spices and always onions. Simple fare. Quick, easy, yummy. Cook with what we have. Which lends itself to stir frying. Fry up meat. And stew the tough meats.

One son adds eggs to his stirfry. The other who likes rice with his, microwaves a big pyrex bowl of rice in water.

A home garden is easy and requires a small space. Chickens need a small space. Time to bring back the Victory gardens. Time to have a few chickens to eats the scraps. Get some eggs in return. Or a roast.

Last edited by Ms Arielle : Sun, Oct-29-23 at 19:44.