Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Aug-27-23, 23:43

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default Wave of ill-health coming from ultra-processed food, experts warn

Quote:
Wave of ill-health coming from ultra-processed food, experts warn

Britain faces a “tidal wave” of heart disease due to a dependence on ultra-processed food which is causing harm similar to smoking, research shows.

Two landmark studies have revealed that ultra-processed food significantly increases the risk of high blood pressure, heart attacks and strokes. Even “healthy” processed options, such as protein bars, breakfast cereals, low-fat yoghurts and supermarket sliced bread were linked to worse heart health.

Campaigners said the findings, presented at the European Society of Cardiology congress in Amsterdam, must act as a “wake-up call” for the government. Experts are calling for ultra-processed food to be treated like tobacco and say regulations must be in place to restrict advertising and stop companies “selling foods that are killing us”.

More than half of the typical British daily diet is made up of ultra-processed food, more than any other country in Europe. The products, made using a series of industrial processes, include breakfast cereals, ready meals, frozen pizzas, sweets and biscuits.

A study presented at the conference pooled data from 325,000 people, who were divided into four groups depending on how much of their daily food intake was ultra-processed.

Those with the highest consumption were 24 per cent more likely to develop heart disease, or suffer a stroke or heart attack. Every 10 per cent increase in the proportion of ultra-processed food in a person’s diet was associated with a 6 per cent increase in heart disease risk, according to the study by the Fourth Military Medical University in China.

In a separate study, researchers at the University of Sydney followed 10,000 middle-aged women in Australia for 15 years. Those who ate the most ultra-processed food were 39 per cent more likely to develop high blood pressure, significantly increasing the risk of heart attacks and strokes.

This was the case even after scientists adjusted for the impact of salt, sugar, fat and other nutrients, suggesting that the physical act of processing the food is harmful.

Anushriya Pant, the author of the study, said: “Ultra-processed foods tend to be lower in fibre, high in salt and sugars, and all these factors are known to be anti-cardioprotective. The more you process food, the fewer nutrients you retain.”

The findings add to a growing body of evidence linking ultra-processed food to heart disease, heart attacks, strokes, cancer, depression and diabetes.

Henry Dimbleby, the former government food adviser, said: “This is one of the first studies to suggest the harm caused by ultra-processed food may be more than just because of the high fat, sugar and salt content of the products.

“Given that ultra-processed food represents 55 per of our diet that should be a wake-up call. Food companies should not be selling people foods that are actively killing them.”

Dimbleby said the nation’s poor diet was storing up health problems in younger generations and contributing to a record 2.6 million people being off work with long-term sickness.

He said: “If we do nothing, a tidal wave of harm is going to hit the NHS. People are out of work as a result of diet-related illness. We will end up with a sick and impoverished country.”

Dr Chris van Tulleken, a scientist at University College London who has written a book on the topic, said: “Importantly the studies showing these harmful effects make adjustments for fat, salt and sugar. This indicates that, whilst the salt, fat and sugar content of ultra-processed foods is one way they harm the body, the ultra-processing itself is the main problem.

“There is now significant evidence that these products inflame the gut, disrupt appetite regulation, alter hormone levels, and cause myriad other effects which likely increase the risk of cardiovascular and other disease much in the same way that smoking does.”

He said the government must “urgently” issue guidelines advising the public to reduce their consumption of ultra-processed food, following the example of Brazil, Canada and France.

Van Tulleken said: “We need warning labels on packets. We need to stop all marketing of ultra-processed foods, especially the use of cartoon characters to market these products to children.”

Two thirds of British adults are obese or overweight. In recent months the government has delayed a series of anti-obesity policies, including a ban on junk food advertising before 9pm.

Katharine Jenner, the director of the Obesity Health Alliance, said regulations should ban food companies from marketing ultra-processed foods as “healthy”.

She said: “If you’re trying to buy healthy food, health claims on packaging and in adverts tell you nothing about how ‘healthy’ the product really is. They are a marketing tactic to distract you from reading the label more thoroughly.

“Obesity costs the NHS around £6.5 billion a year and is the second biggest cause of cancer, yet the UK government have consistently delayed measures that would take the pressure off, such as restricting advertising and multibuys on unhealthy food. We must redesign the food system to put health first.”

Analysis

Browse the aisles of any supermarket and you will find many items that would be impossible to recreate from scratch in a home kitchen (Eleanor Hayward writes).

These foods — including chocolate breakfast cereal, brightly-coloured sweets or crisps that bear no resemblance to a potato — are the products of an industrialised food system. Since 2010, they have been referred to as ultra-processed foods under a classification system devised by Brazilian scientists trying to explain the obesity crisis.

As well as being low in nutrients and fibre, the food is subjected to a series of sophisticated industrial processes such as splitting whole foods into oils, fats and sugar, then recombining them.

They are also usually packed with preservatives and additives, bought ready-to-eat and are heavily marketed, sometimes as “healthy” options.

These products — which some argue should be referred to as “edible substances”, not food — increasingly dominate the food supply in the UK. They have been blamed for fuelling obesity, with research showing people consume more calories if food is ultra-processed.

The British diet is among the worst in the world: typically 55 per cent of daily calories come from ultra-processed food, only slightly behind the USA where the figure is 57 per cent.

Studies have linked high consumption of these foods to heart disease, diabetes, depression, dementia and cancer. Increasingly, evidence indicates that ultra-processed food is not simply harmful because it tends to be fatty, salty and sugary, but that something inherent in the industrial processing is at fault.

Processing degrades the physical structure of foods, while additives such as sweeteners and emulsifiers damage healthy gut bacteria and cause inflammation, which may in turn increase the risk of heart disease.

Ultra-processed foods to avoid

• Mass-produced sliced bread

• Low fat or sweetened yoghurts

• Breakfast cereals

• Doughnuts and biscuits

• Protein bars and cereal bars

• Chicken nuggets and processed meat products

• Instant soups and noodles

• Fizzy drinks, including diet versions

• Margarines and spreads

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...-warn-sr2gnlhrn
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Aug-28-23, 05:41

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 225/224/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 2%

A friend over the last 1-2 years has paid more attention to her food choices. Mostly whole foods, organic , and rare sweets.

A recent vaca was an eye opener. She opted to buy sandwhich makings, and bought high quality salamis and ham and such.

She could feel the inflammation. Within three days, hers hands were stiff. She shared the impact with her husband, who could see the change, too.

More and more people are realizing the negative impacts of some kinds of foods.

Imho dried sausage meats had a place. The current options in my area are questionable, at best.

I would like to know if European produced meats have this effect, too.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Aug-28-23, 07:24

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
The findings add to a growing body of evidence linking ultra-processed food to heart disease, heart attacks, strokes, cancer, depression and diabetes.

Henry Dimbleby, the former government food adviser, said: “This is one of the first studies to suggest the harm caused by ultra-processed food may be more than just because of the high fat, sugar and salt content of the products.

“Given that ultra-processed food represents 55 per of our diet that should be a wake-up call. Food companies should not be selling people foods that are actively killing them.”

The UK & NZ is certainly taking the lead on this issue, publicly. I know our own indigenous peoples have internal groups which support a return to the ancestral diet. But they don't get any press in the US, home of the addictive drug which isn't classed as a drug.

It's like a capitalist dream, isn't it?
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Aug-28-23, 08:25

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
Imho dried sausage meats had a place. The current options in my area are questionable, at best.

I would like to know if European produced meats have this effect, too.

My whole outlook on cured meats has shifted to the point I think quality can make a huge difference. I only eat imported Italian cold cuts, to make a weekly sandwich with a coconut wrap, and perhaps I crave it because of the thiamine?

I'm getting more into ground pork for that, but knowing they are fermented meats, like cheese and kombucha is? There could be health benefits to that.

And the roast beef I get at the deli is real roast beef. But processed AND cured meats? Like I never did like bologna. Now, it smells worse! To me, that one qualifies as probably not good for us.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Aug-28-23, 11:47

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 225/224/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 2%

WB.....

My meat selections have definitely shifted. Fresh/frozen meats. Not cured. I rarely eat cured meats. Far less bacon. Its too expensive anyway. Histamines build in cured meats. Even imported.

Im learning how to produce better quality meats. To avoid the question of feed, curing, age. The potential problems of ultra processed meats.

Its easier to identify ultra processed grain products, breads and sweets.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Sep-01-23, 06:37

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
Its easier to identify ultra processed grain products, breads and sweets.

I know my usual half pound cheeseburger on a coconut wrap is almost every day, as a staple. If I skip a day, meals still should have real meat or there is no point. And not a sprinkle, either. "Meat" is now a craving!
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Sep-01-23, 07:13

BF:

I just posted an article in the War Zone because there's enormous profits in the drug-the-elderly business, which Medicare negotiating opened up on some drugs. Not that the elderly don't need drugs, and yes, they are life-saving, but as it becomes more and more clear
that I don't want US government-supported schemes to keep people alive but sick, when we have the medical knowledge to lower prices and increase care.

I want to pay for increased care. To take care of US citizens. To put requirements on food so it's not cheap, manufactured, GOO that confuses our bodies and minds. Or it's not food. It can be done. It takes a law nerd, and I am one, but it would also take people who know how to write good legislation, which is rare, like writing good grants are We already have a growing problem in the US with people who can't think or get out of bed in the morning, and that's endangering us all, not just those close to them. And not just Long COVID, because I think poor nutrition, however manifested, is behind so much of it that my feelings get overwhelming. And I have to watch the news to calm me down.

I have to drive with them and live their bad decisions about business and all the rest. But I would like to get ahead of the curve and use that "survival investment time" staying ahead of the timebombs they are selling for something else. The reason we have informed consensus about important things is to block this constant lying to the public that is so enormous people are ready to be confused about how they are breathing wrong. Which doesn't surprise me. They are sick.

There is a scientific consensus about how to eat, and each of us have a piece of it. And people need to hear, because I watched a charming "How I lost 70 pounds" video because she and her husband spent their early twenties figuring out how to eat, on their own. And the unlikely vehicle for this education was Weight Watchers.

It worked for these young people, who took a program and ran with it, and learned from it. They have the syndome I see a lot of, where they are completely clueless about food having any kind of value besides shutting up your stomach and enjoying the taste.

The WW point system won't work for me, but for this couple, it was invaluable. "That giant blue drink was 50 points and I only get 38 for all day? That made me think about what I'm eating."

I was in elementary school when we still had milk break, and everyone got a little carton. Because there were foods that were good for you and foods that were treats. How do you graduate from college and not know that? Which is why I'm not linking the video. Because it's sadly common. I'm not making fun of them; I think it's endemic. They weren't raised with a mother who thought part of her job was for us to eat "enough good protein."

I think she was right.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Sep-21-23, 01:49

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Ultra-processed food linked to higher risk of depression, research finds

US study finds association between large amounts of ultra-processed food, especially artificial sweeteners, and depression

Consuming large amounts of ultra-processed food, especially drinks containing artificial sweeteners, is associated with a higher risk of depression, research has found.

Despite extensive data linking ultra-processed food with physical ill health, such as strokes, heart attacks and raised blood pressure, this is the first large study to suggest that consuming ultra-processed foods and drinks, particularly those that include artificial sweeteners, could increase the instance of depression.

Using data from one of the biggest studies of women’s long-term health in the US, researchers at Massachusetts general hospital and Harvard medical school examined the diets and mental health of more than 30,000 primarily white middle-aged women between 2003 and 2017 who did not already have depression.

The authors estimated the overall extent of ultra-processed food intake as well as the type of food, such as ultra-processed grain foods, sweet snacks, ready-to-eat meals, fats and sauces, ultra-processed dairy products, savoury snacks, processed meat, beverages and artificial sweeteners.

They then compared how many women went on to develop depression against their consumption of ultra-processed food. Adjusting for other health, lifestyle and socioeconomic risk factors for depression, the research, published in US journal JAMA Network Open, found that those who consumed nine portions or more of ultra-processed foods a day had a 49% increased risk of depression compared with those who consumed fewer than four portions a day.

In addition, those who reduced their intake of ultra-processed food by at least three servings a day were at lower risk of depression than those with relatively stable intake.

“These findings suggest that greater ultra-processed foods intake, particularly artificial sweeteners and artificially sweetened beverages, is associated with increased risk of depression,” the authors concluded.

“Experimental studies have shown that artificial sweeteners may trigger the transmission of particular signalling molecules in the brain that are important for mood.”

Responding to the findings, Keith Frayn, emeritus professor of human metabolism at the University of Oxford, said: “The relationship between artificial sweeteners and depression stands out clearly. This adds to growing concerns about artificial sweeteners and cardiometabolic health. The link with depression needs confirmation and further research to suggest how it might be brought about.”

Others urged greater caution. Prof David Curtis, an honorary professor at University College London Genetics Institute, said: “The only foodstuffs which [this study] shows are associated with increased risk of depression are artificial sweeteners. Of course, this does not mean that an effect of artificial sweeteners is to increase depression risk – it is just that people with increased risk of developing depression tend to consume larger quantities of artificial sweeteners.”

But the authors disagree. Prof Andrew T Chan, chief of the clinical and translational epidemiology unit at Massachusetts general hospital and co-author of the research, said: “The strength of our study is that we were able to assess diet several years before the onset of depression. This minimises the likelihood that our findings are simply due to individuals with depression being more likely to choose ultra-processed foods.”

https://www.theguardian.com/food/20...-research-finds
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Sep-23-23, 05:40

BF:

And once you are depressed from eating all the UPF? Everything seems impossible.

And the drugs do people no favors in the metabolic department. "Officially" that's not so, but I don't believe them. There's been links between diabetes and psychiatric meds before.

Which, now that I think about it, makes sense, because everything is connected to all these hormones getting body parts working as a team. A deranged metabolism deranges everything.

I am always impressed with the indigenous food programs, among people who are in no way adapted to a diet of civilization for the last 15,000 years. They reduce their incidence of chronic disease with a whole foods diet, and their mental state, children's behavior, and the lessening of stress is also dramatic.

That's a lesson for everyone.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Sep-23-23, 05:49

BF:

Quote:
These products — which some argue should be referred to as “edible substances”, not food — increasingly dominate the food supply in the UK. They have been blamed for fuelling obesity, with research showing people consume more calories if food is ultra-processed.

I agree. We had a wave of "quescently frozen dessert" filling the ice cream case during the pandemic. Because we have laws about what can be called ice cream, just as Ireland has laws about what is bread. (Hint: Subway bread is actually cake, there.)