Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Dec-03-15, 09:04

Plan: Going to follow Atkins
Stats: 145/132/110 Female 164 cms
BF:
Progress:
Default Freeletics (Bodyweight Crossfit) &LC'ing for a Teen?

Freeletics (Bodyweight crossfit) & LC for a teen? - Low Carb Friends

Hello! This is my first post here, so maybe I should introduce myself..
I'm 16 and 9 months old, I'm a senior (I skipped a year, aint I smart xD?), and I'm looking to lose weight. I have always been an overweight kid when I was younger, and through puberty and portion control, I got down to a healthy body and filled out in all the nice places. It was a loss of 15 lbs, and grown over 10 cms.. So quite a change.

I live in Egypt, but I'm studying on the American Diploma, so I had to finish my SATs with TOP scores, because in Egypt more than 60% of whether I get accepted or not in universities depend on it. I finally did that, but going one last time this saturday!

You may ask.. Why am I here?!
Well I gained back about 10 lbs, and I was just never that happy.. A human is very greedy, and I'm just a human.

My prom is on the 25th of April, so I have exactly 140 days or 20 weeks, from Sunday 6/12 till then.
I wanna lose the extra 10 I gained, and lose another 10 lbs (hopefully) to be at 110, on 5'4".

My question really..

Is I'll be LC'ing with my mom (she has 20 lbs to lose as well, but she already started).. I'm doing it for various reasons, for the sake of not being attacked for being different and not that high weight..

1- I am in a family full of diabetic people.. And no thanks.
2- The exercise plan I will be on suggests it.
3- I think it's a very balanced way of eating, since carbs make
Me go on a full BINGE.. No kidding.

Time to cut the crap xD!

So my question.. Again..

Can I do a high intensity training with LC'ing?
The plan suggests it but I'm a bit wary..

For example the first workout is

450 jumping jacks
150 burpees
150 sit ups
150 leg lifts

... In a form of sets and rounds of course..

So.. Yeah xD

I just wanted to know your experience! Andd if there are any similarly aged people out here?

All you women and men are inspiring!
Be nice,
Truly,
Your FFG .
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Dec-03-15, 09:23

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

It is questionable how much you need to lose any weight at 5'4" and 132 lbs, depending on your build. However, the desire to eat low carb to avoid diabetes is a good one. A sound LC diet is a better diet than the Standard American Diet for just about everyone.

Will you be able to start strict training while eating LC? That too is questionable. Most people experience some kind of physical weakness while converting from high carb to low carb. The transition can easily take 4-6 weeks as your body adjusts and during that time you may not have full strength and/or energy. You can reduce those effects by making sure you supplement with salt and keep hydrated as well.

It sounds as if you've not read and adopted a particular book. I would recommend you try either Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution or A New Atkins for A New You, a 2010 update by current doctors Steve PHinney, Eric Westman and Jeff Volek. Both count *net* carbs rather than total carbs which will probably work well for someone as young as you with so little to lose, and both emphasize the need to replace some of your carbs with fat. Assuming you avoid Low Carb Products and concentrate on Real Food, both will give you a well balanced diet, important as you continue to build bone and muscle.

Since you want to add physical activity, I would also read Phinney and Volek's Art and Science of Low Carb Performance, which is specifically geared towards athletes eating low carb.

Good luck!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Dec-03-15, 09:55

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz53
It is questionable how much you need to lose any weight at 5'4" and 132 lbs, depending on your build. However, the desire to eat low carb to avoid diabetes is a good one. A sound LC diet is a better diet than the Standard American Diet for just about everyone.

Will you be able to start strict training while eating LC? That too is questionable. Most people experience some kind of physical weakness while converting from high carb to low carb. The transition can easily take 4-6 weeks as your body adjusts and during that time you may not have full strength and/or energy. You can reduce those effects by making sure you supplement with salt and keep hydrated as well.

It sounds as if you've not read and adopted a particular book. I would recommend you try either Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution or A New Atkins for A New You, a 2010 update by current doctors Steve PHinney, Eric Westman and Jeff Volek. Both count *net* carbs rather than total carbs which will probably work well for someone as young as you with so little to lose, and both emphasize the need to replace some of your carbs with fat. Assuming you avoid Low Carb Products and concentrate on Real Food, both will give you a well balanced diet, important as you continue to build bone and muscle.

Since you want to add physical activity, I would also read Phinney and Volek's Art and Science of Low Carb Performance, which is specifically geared towards athletes eating low carb.

Good luck!

It seems like I have a lot of reading to do, haha!

Thank you for replying!
I think I'll have to try my luck by jumping into it Sunday and seeing how I feel and all.

I know reading is important, but I'm a teenager, we do reckless things-- like going LC and having a strict exercise plan, haha!

What makes me more comfortable with this idea is the exercise plan suggests LC and lots of good and whole foods.

I'll be doing my best to eat enough fat and protein for my energy levels, and I'll see how it goes.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Dec-03-15, 11:07

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

Nothing reckless about LC. I'm just suggesting there may be an adjustment period. And, yes, all you can do is give it a go. However, if you do feel weak the first few days or weeks, know that it is part of the normal adjustment, and not something intrinsically bad about LC. And, yeah, the more you read, the more prepared you will be with ways to counteract the transient negative effects as your body kicks carbs.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Dec-03-15, 12:44

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz53
Nothing reckless about LC. I'm just suggesting there may be an adjustment period. And, yes, all you can do is give it a go. However, if you do feel weak the first few days or weeks, know that it is part of the normal adjustment, and not something intrinsically bad about LC. And, yeah, the more you read, the more prepared you will be with ways to counteract the transient negative effects as your body kicks carbs.

It was a joke, hahaha.. I understand, and thank you for your input, if I seem to suffer the first days or weeks, I'll be sure to take it easy, knowing this is only part of the process.

Thank you once again.