Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Nov-03-03, 07:44

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 148/136/122 Female 61 1/2"
BF:?/32%/
Progress: 46%
Default Atkins Shake to replace a meal??

Has anyone lost using an Atkins shake to replace a meal?

I have been 135 since Sept. 4th, I have gone up and down three pounds, but it never sticks...the lowest number I have seen is 133 for a day or two but I average at 136 - 135 most days..

I am 61 and 1/2 inches (5'1 1/2") I should be around 118-120 so that is 15 pounds to go and nothing...............

I have taken away nuts, whip cream, Atkins ice cream, olives, pickles...

So I was thinking of buying the Atkins Shakes and replacing a meal or two with them..
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Nov-03-03, 09:45
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

From the Atkins site: "neither the Atkins shakes nor the bars were formulated to be total meal replacements. Atkins does not recommend the use of meal replacements for more than one meal a day; instead, it is important to eat whole, unprocessed foods to learn wholesome eating habits."

I noticed you're trying Atkins KISS. Perhaps you need to give that a little more time?

Are there any other factors that could be slowing you down, like medications?
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Nov-03-03, 10:05

Plan: Atkins/Low carb
Stats: 187/134/134 Female 5' 7"
BF:15%

Are you sure that the weight you want to be is realistic? Most people put unrealistic goals as to weight as that is what society has placed on us.

Also keep in mind that muscle weights more than fat. I always say I need to loose more, but when I look at the whole picture it is unrealistic.

If you have 2 140 pound women who are the same height. One wears a size 12 and the other wears a 6, which one is healthier. I don't rely much on scales. I tell people in my meetings that it is fat loss you want not weight loss.

SO are you doing any weight training exercises? If so then the scale isn't accurate. Also keep in mind that our bodies hit plateaus as a saftely feature as not to loose to much to quickly, we need to recompose, but if you are feeling good and your close are looser than chances are you aren't at a platuea.

I did use atkins shakes alot during my weight loss phase. Also some companies have low carb replacement shakes.

One more thing, sometimes we tend to under eat and that may cause a slower results especially if you are exercising every day.

I hope this information works for you. But don't give up, sometimes we need a little more time.

Marie
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Nov-03-03, 11:12

Thanks for the responces,

Yes, at 5'1" 135 is still alot of Fat to be carrying around, 15 pounds is definately realistic for my size, as I excercise each morning for 20 minutes on my gazelle I measure myself once a week and I have not seen any movement for well over a month.
I have been Keeping it Simple for over a week and have never had a carb refeed or a planned cheat...I just was wondering if anyone has replaced a meal once in a while, as I have never skipped a meal since doing this WOE.

I am not thinking of quitting ....just tweaking here and there to see how my body responds.

Thanks again !
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Nov-03-03, 11:22

Hi Carol,

I hate to sound like a pain, but one more question occured to me. How many carbs are you eating right now? I noticed that you have been on the plan only 4 months and I would have to say you have been doing a heck of a job.

I don't think it would hurt to tweek here and there as long as you continue low carb, I know we all need to now and then to see what works for them.
As I stated I did use shake mixes etc during my time. Also some advantage bars as in between snacks. Also try keeping a log just for a couple days to track any hidden carbs.

I'm glad to hear that you aren't quitting, lots of people give up when they hit a plateau here and there. Plateuas are normal to weight loss and you can get through one just have to pay attention to detail. I covered plateaus in one of my meetings and people are amazed at what causes them, most we can control.

Good luck to you and keep up the good work you've done so far

It took me about 9 months to loose 67 pounds, and I've kept it off for 7 years now and I'm still low carbing.

Have a good day

Marie
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Nov-03-03, 11:41

Hi Marie, I have 20 or under carbs per day. Typical day is:

Before Breakfast : Lemon water 8oz. w/2 psyllium pills9 (7 am.)

Breakfast: 1 hard boiled egg w/1 ounce cheese, 1 tsp. mayo
1 GLA pill ( 8:30 - 9:30 am)

33 ounces water.

Lunch: (12:00-12:30 pm) usually 1 can of Tuna, salmon, chicken, 1 stalk celery, 1T. mayo 3-5 pork grinds. 1 Flax oil pill

33 ounces water.

Snack: 2pm - 2 ounces cheese or 11 macadamia nuts.

33 ounces water

Dinner : 5:00-5:30 - Any meat or fish we are having and salad or steamed veggie (1-2 cups) 1 flax oil pill, 1 GLA pill

Snack 7pm - 8:00 pm - 11 macadamia nuts or sf. hot cocoa, or whip cream and sf jello

Lemon water and 2 more psyllium pills then off to bed by 10.

I have been doing this (except for the weekends I will have 2-3 cocktails since the beginning of this WOL) for 20 weeks...my calories according to fitday are 1100 avg./day.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, I know it took two years to gain this weight, I just get caught in the loosing mode when I read everyone else in my range loosing and eight weeks of no loss is definately a STALL ..

Last edited by carol.pino : Mon, Nov-03-03 at 11:42.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Nov-03-03, 17:47
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%

I am hypoglycemic and eat 5 to 6 meals a day. I usually use atkins shake mix for breakfast. I have noticed that I get hungry pretty fast, eggs keep the hunger away much longer.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Nov-04-03, 05:22

Hi Carol

Wow 4 months and still at 20 and only 1100 calories. I would suggest that you increase your carbs up to at 25 and calories another 100 or so. I usually tell people not to go below 1400 as your body goes into starvation even on low carb. Your body uses so many calories just to function and you need extra if you include additional activities. I also know about the numbers. When I go and have how many calories i should consume I'm flabergasted as there is no way I can consume 2200 a day, I think that is too many. I try and keep my calories to around 1800. That seems to work for me and I don't feel like I have to keep stuffing my face.

In his book atkins mentions about induction yes you can stay on it for a while, but it will loose it's effectiveness after a certain period. I stayed on induction for about 6 weeks when I hit my first plateua and increased my carbs by 5 and added a little more exercise and that seemed to work.

Boy I'm surprise you haven't gotten board with you food choices yet I know that if a big concern for people low carbing.

Well agian I think by what you've mentioned you are doing fine. I'd say within the next 3 - 4 months you should of dropped a few more. Good luck and If I can help in any way just let me know. I know how frustrating it can be when you don't have people to rely on when you go through a tough time. When I started I had no one. I think this forum is great.

Have a great day

Marie
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Nov-04-03, 06:31

Thanks everyone for taking the time to share your advice.

I think I will stick to my program and maybe for a treat at my 2:00 pm break, have a chocolate Atkins shake. Not everyday, and not to replace a meal and only if I feel the need (hunger) which I really have not experienced with this WOE.

Thanks again