Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#61   ^
Old Fri, Apr-10-09, 20:06

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil' annie
OMG. You said, " Egg Custard " !!!!I'd like to bake some flan, but don't even know if one can use heavy whipping cream plus water, in place of the milk to mix together with egg yolks.
Yes you can mix heavy cream with water (or just use it straight) to make great flans & custards. Since a properly-cooked egg custard takes 45-60 minutes in a water bath in a 300 degree oven, I came up with a quick microwave custard that I often have for breakfast:

3 whole eggs
3-4T heavy cream
1/2 tsp vanilla
dash salt
sweetener to taste

Blend in Magic Bullet (tall cup & flattish blade), nuke on high for 60 seconds in the MB cup (uncovered); blend again, nuke for another 30-40 seconds, blend again and then let it sit on the counter to cook the rest of the way on its own. I eat it right out of the MB cup with a parfait spoon. If you don't have a Magic Bullet, a stick blender in a tall cup should work too. These times are for my microwave, so YMMV, but start low - you can always cook a little longer. I don't add any water, but if you do, extra seconds are in order. Finding the best timing & blending gives a nice smooth custard, but even my lumpy trials tasted great. This breakfast keeps me satisfied for 5-6 hrs.

Last edited by deirdra : Fri, Apr-10-09 at 20:12.
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Fri, Apr-10-09, 20:35
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

Quote:
"All high-fat diets are unhealthy in the long term and there is absolutely no benefit to weight reduction of this sort because it is threatening to health. . . . Of course, high-fat diets will give you the benefits of energy and weight loss, but they are just not good for you."
So there it is

Last edited by mike_d : Fri, Apr-10-09 at 20:38. Reason: format
  #63   ^
Old Fri, Apr-10-09, 23:03

Plan: Moderate Protein Atkins
Stats: 175/160/165 Male 175
BF:
Progress: 150%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOOPS
Anyway I wish you all the best. I've tried to do Kwas's ratios but nearly always end up going over on protein. I would beg to differ with the argument that you MUST be at the exact figures of protein intake, or else you will gain on high fat. That isn't necessarily so. I've seen people have a lot of success on other ketogenic principled diets like the Banta diet, which basically recommends eating 1.5 - 2 times the amount of fat for each 1g of protein + carbs combined - no calorie restriction - so that is high fat and possibly higher protein than K recommends.

I agree. I'm skeptic about non-flexible rules that would be impossible to follow in nature, without our mass production of food.

And it makes sense that in nature we would get less carbs than human eat today. It makes sense that we would get less proteins (since protein heavy food are just low-fat foods or isolated proteins)
And it makes sense therefore that we would get more fats than proteins (nut shells have been found in most paleolithic sites in europe and there are paleolithic populations that eat like 70% of their diet as nuts)

But I don't think this should translate into specific ratios and amount to follow, since it would be impossible. I think all it takes is not to go too heavy on the protein, which is usually a conscious effort. Bodybuilders actually struggle to get as much protein as they "think" they need while keeping fat low enough. And they consume protein powder, egg beaters, no fat cheese so I don't think is a big issue.

I also don't think it's necessary to avoid meat. Most meat has like 20 grams of protein per 100 grams so you still need a lot to exceed on proteins.

Quote:
Just be careful - you CAN go too low in protein and lose muscle. Also bear in mind that Kwas's recommendations for athletes are different - I think he recommends that protein be eaten to appetite if you are very muscular and/or work out a lot.

It makes sense. Hypertrophy activates protein sintesys so protein are used to build tissues rather than as a substrate for glucose.

I wonder if some people who are experiencing scale weight loss (even with extreme calorie raising) are actually losing muscle mass. I would have my BF% checked rather than trusting the scale, it's the fat we want to lose not lean body mass.

But there's another way to prevent proteins to be used as glucose and it's to raise carbs. If you raise carbs less proteins will be used as glucose and the carbs will be used mainly for glycogen and fats for energy.

That's why for example I can't have a no carb diet. I suffer from hypoglycemia and when I do no carbs, I get insulin and BG surge from the proteins being converted to glucose. And on no carb diet even fats mess with my glycemia, since the body starts converting the glycerol to glucose. I have read that 60 grams of carb is the minimum to spare proteins and proteins glucogenesis from other substrates.
  #64   ^
Old Sat, Apr-11-09, 05:42

Plan: HF/MP/LC
Stats: 120/120/120 Female 64 inches
BF:26.5
Progress: 43%

There is so much conflicting information out there that people are willing to fight about vehemently. I was on Chowhound.com and there was a rabid fight about whether or not you need to eat carbs. It got ugly. This is not even a diet site so I was surprised at the rancor.

Rather than listen to others, I like a good experiment. I read a lot and when something seems interesting, I give it a try. I figure the low carb, moderate protein, high fat is worth a shot. I will just see how I do. The things I will monitor are weight, body fat and craving control.

I agree that eating to percentages is not natural or ultimately sustainable but I look at is a more of a retraining exercise. It took counting carbs for me to retrain myself and once I did, I just naturally kept my carbs low. I figure this is the same. If this turns out to be a good way for me to eat, I expect that I will be able to make appropriate food choices without keeping track of macronutrients, calories, percentages, etc.
  #65   ^
Old Sat, Apr-11-09, 05:58

Plan: VLC 4 days a week
Stats: 337/258/200 Male 6' 1"
BF:
Progress: 58%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_d
So there it is

Here's a link to a source of your statement for those interested in reading it in its context.

http://high-fat-nutrition.blogspot....raise-lard.html

But whatever this says, I only trust science and I trust Barry Groves on his ability to interpret science properly.

High-fat is how low-carb is supposed to be...

http://www.second-opinions.co.uk/fat-not-protein.html

Patrick
  #66   ^
Old Sat, Apr-11-09, 06:03

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianJ
I agree. I'm skeptic about non-flexible rules that would be impossible to follow in nature, without our mass production of food...

Our body can survive on pretty much any ratios of macro nutrients. We are incredible machines.

But the point is, this diet is supposedly what is optimal for us. It has nothing to do with how nature would feed us without our current technology.

Patrick
  #67   ^
Old Sat, Apr-11-09, 06:25

Plan: carnivore
Stats: 150/115/110 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 88%

This is my favorite thread right now but I am woefully ignorant of making my own dairy products. Is there a thread here in the forum for recipes and/or good links? Down the road is a small dairy farm that sells their products locally but I have never tasted it or even gone into their little place. Dairy seems to be the key to upping my fats. Funny thing is until recently I didn't even like milk, then my daughter turned me on to organic milk and I couldn't believe how sweet it was, I think I could learn to make custards and 'ice creams' with just berries for sweetners. Thank you to everyone here, glad I found you guys.
  #68   ^
Old Sat, Apr-11-09, 06:35

Plan: carnivore
Stats: 150/115/110 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 88%

A little off topic but a couple of years ago I heard on NPR (only station while driving in the middle of nowhere) about organic farming and there was a place I think in the Carolinas that had four patches of land and rotated the garden with the pigs to dig up the ground with the cows to fertilize and then with the chickens to weed and get the grubs and insects. I probably have the order wrong but I don't see how environmental activists could argue with that type of farming. You could then have eggs, dairy, and occasional meat along with a few veggies. If someone else remembers this report I would love to have it in fact I think the guy wrote a book. He also went to a plant that converted corn to HFCS and they would not let them go in the plant or explain the process.

Last edited by equistar : Sat, Apr-11-09 at 06:36. Reason: spelling error
  #69   ^
Old Sat, Apr-11-09, 06:48

Plan: My Way.
Stats: 178/173/140 Female 63 inches.
BF:
Progress: 13%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valtor
Here's a link to a source of your statement for those interested in reading it in its context.

http://high-fat-nutrition.blogspot....raise-lard.html

But whatever this says, I only trust science and I trust Barry Groves on his ability to interpret science properly.

High-fat is how low-carb is supposed to be...

http://www.second-opinions.co.uk/fat-not-protein.html

Patrick

Sorry but who is Mike D & what is he an expert in? I am a Barry Groves fan too.
  #70   ^
Old Sat, Apr-11-09, 07:02

Plan: quasi paleo + starch
Stats: 153/148/118 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 14%
Default OFF topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by equistar
A little off topic but a couple of years ago I heard on NPR (only station while driving in the middle of nowhere) about organic farming and there was a place I think in the Carolinas that had four patches of land and rotated the garden with the pigs to dig up the ground with the cows to fertilize and then with the chickens to weed and get the grubs and insects. I probably have the order wrong but I don't see how environmental activists could argue with that type of farming. You could then have eggs, dairy, and occasional meat along with a few veggies. If someone else remembers this report I would love to have it in fact I think the guy wrote a book. He also went to a plant that converted corn to HFCS and they would not let them go in the plant or explain the process.

Doesn't NPR have a large community, (OR something,) at a website called something like, "Gather.com" -- I'd ask over there, or wherever their online community is. Also, try searching the NPR archives. AND.... the story may have originated in either North or South Carolina, so check the local NPR websites.
  #71   ^
Old Sat, Apr-11-09, 07:07

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuttygran
Sorry but who is Mike D & what is he an expert in? I am a Barry Groves fan too.

I was answering this post from Mike a little upper up in this thread.

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showpost...72&postcount=62

Patrick
  #72   ^
Old Sat, Apr-11-09, 07:39

Plan: Lacto-Paleo
Stats: 322/168/140 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 85%

Patrick, thanks for the links! It was v. enlightening.
  #73   ^
Old Sat, Apr-11-09, 08:01

Plan: My Way.
Stats: 178/173/140 Female 63 inches.
BF:
Progress: 13%

Thank you Valtor, I should not jump to conclusions.
About Prof' Yudkin, I read 'This Slimming Business' many years ago, his advice is as good today as it was then. I wish I'd taken more notice.
  #74   ^
Old Sat, Apr-11-09, 08:56
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by equistar

That sounds like it's from Michael Pollan's book, "The Omnivore's Dilemma".
  #75   ^
Old Sat, Apr-11-09, 09:21
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Yikes, my FBG was 112 this morning. It's been running much lower. Hmmm... wonder what is up with that?
Closed Thread