Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Fibromyalgia, CFS, S.A.D.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Sep-20-04, 03:08
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 9'10/9'10/9'0 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress:
Angry Horrid 'unreal' Feeling?

Hi, i'm new to this part of the forum. I was just reading through and noticing a lot of my own symptoms on here. I suffer with exhaustion, mood swings - i can be real nasty sometimes and the worst one is the 'unreal' feeling, like i'm living in a dream all the time, does anyone else get this? i have various other symptoms too. I got no joy from my doctor, he has put me on a waiting list for a cognitive therapist, so i went to see a nutritional therapist. She advised me to have a hair analysis test (if anyone has any feedback on these i would greatly appreciate it) and the results said i have a slow metabolism and my adrenal glands are exhausted. She put me on a high protein diet but i am feeling worse than before. I just don't know whether i should carry on with what she has told me or find another N.T. It's costing me a lot of money to see this person and with all the supplements as well. I just don't feel like i will evere feel well again.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Sep-20-04, 03:26
Staying Put

Plan: Atkins/CarbCycling
Stats: 299/252/180 Female 69"
BF:
Progress: 39%

Hiya, I suffered with the symptoms you are talking about too before embarking on atkins 6 months ago. Until recently I didn't take any suppliments, and now I only take oil of orregano and l-glutamine which are not really related to my past problems.
I can tell you though that if you stay on this LC way of life you will begin to feel better!
I am 6 months in to the plan and I feel almost 100% Better.
If you can tollerate the unreal feeling for a while - within a month or so you should begin to feel much better.
Good luck!
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Oct-31-04, 18:33
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

Try taking some vitamin D, about 800 IU. It might make you feel better and get rid of that "unreal" feeling.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Oct-31-04, 18:39
Give chance a chance

Plan: General LC maintenance
Stats: 152.6/115.6/115 Female 60 inches
BF:28%
Progress: 98%

I am curious as to whether anyone has ever done the "hair analysis" bit and been told that they are healthy. I know a number of people in real life who have done it.....they were all told that they had some exotic disorder and should be taking various supplements. Just makes me suspicious of it.....

Kay
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Oct-31-04, 19:31

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle II
Stats: 191/189/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Oh, dear, yes!
Progress: 5%

I've never had hair analysis done. When I was in college, I had what could be described as a surreal feeling, like living in a dream, or the "perception" that everything was on a movie screen. It turned out to be anxiety -- not in discreet attacks, just one long one that was causing chronic mild hyperventilation (full hyperventilation would had made me pass out). I was treated with a low dose of a tranquilizer for a month. The sensation disappeared after a few days.

I hope you're feeling better soon. If all else fails, you might see your MD. The Vitamin D3 might also help you.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Nov-01-04, 04:54

Plan: My Own
Stats: 240/213/152 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 31%

You sound very simalar to me. My doc was little use - just kept saying it was depression which I didn't believe! So I found a good nutritionist and have had hair analysis tests and adrenal tests and everything was way below - she said she'd never seen such bad results and my adrenal tests also showed exhaustion - she explained it was like going to the cupboard for food (energy) but they were empty, but I couldn't go to the shops to stock up as they were empty too!
I am on a lower (but not Atkins etc low) carb diet and very slowly I'm getting better - more good days instead of just bad days. I also take tons of supplements. It takes time and theres a good chance you may have candida as well so your worsened symptoms may be die off and this is normal. Stick with it - it takes time - and you should begin to feel better. Good luck!
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jul-30-05, 01:21

Plan: CAD
Stats: 195/190/150 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 11%

I have had 10 years off and on of the same symptoms. I have found that many things have helped. Eating right, controlling my blood sugar, sparx formula, and taking anti-yeast supplements. It does get better trust me. I have a huge mistrust of doctors, because I have found most of them don't help. The best thing you can do is educate yourself and do lots of research. Hope this helps!