Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Fibromyalgia, CFS, S.A.D.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Feb-15-03, 19:55

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 298/265/145
BF:
Progress: 22%
Question FM Flares & Carb Intake

Hi folks - I've introduced myself at the TDC, but this is my first post to your section.

Doreen - thanks for all your hard work - I've read through all the threads looking for connections & insight.

My question - I only re-started LC on Monday, so this is Day6 for me. I've tried many times over the last few years to duplicate that initial LC success. I've had great difficulty staying on plan & feel that health complications are part of that, with emotional health another big factor.

So Friday there was a flare (post-rain) when I could hardly move - you know, that feeling where it feels like you're pushing through mud just to move/walk/be mobile. Total fatigue/almost unable to drive & certainly couldn't think or work. (Bad since I'm newly self-employed and need every billable hour.)

What I noticed was that it was WAY harder for me to stick to plan - I ate within the right categories of food choices, I just couldn't seem to limit the quantities. So my calories ended up over 3500, and my carbs (less fiber) at 44. When you add this to a day with two 3-hour nap/rest sessions, it has to be more fuel in than burned.

Also - even though I stuck to the right foods, I never ever stopped craving sugar for 1 minute. My mind chatter yama yama voice just kept urging me "Oh eat a little bit - it will help."

So I'm wondering - has anyone else noticed a correlation between their bad days & their success or attitude with food?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Feb-18-03, 09:13

Plan: Schwarzbien Newbie
Stats: 146/141/120
BF:shrinking
Progress: 19%

Oh, yes, I have noticed a correlation between bad days and attitudes about food. I find that when my fibro flares up, I want comfort food, or at least something easy to prepare. That used to mean I would grab a chewy granola bar and a glass of milk. Now I just force myself to eat right.

You might want to try L-Glutamine for your sugar cravings. It helps quite a bit, and is also good for your muscles. Just keep at the low carb, in the long run, it will help your fibro, and the flare ups will start to taper off.

I found that when I started Atkins, my flare ups were alot worse, for awhile, and I generally felt like I had the flu. It turned out I have a yeast overgrowth, called candida. You might want to read some of the posts about candida. I have read some new information that fibromyalgia might be caused by candida. Don't want to confuse you with new possible problems, but it might help to read about it, there is a separate thread pertaining to candida/IBS.

Hope you feel better!

-Jess
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Feb-18-03, 12:37

BF:

Thanks Jess for your response & your encouragement - I was wondering when a FM person would surface!

Thanks for the candida reference. I have read all I could on both that section of the board & the thyroid one, over the last few weeks. As with everywhere on this forum, there is good information & interaction. I'm so glad to find you all!

I think our systems can be very complex, and that lots of factors can "pile up". I know that's true for me. Mine go kind of in this order - hypoglycemia (1st diagnosed in mid 20's) Graves Disease followed by hypothyroid (mid 30's) allergies to mold/fungus/etc (late 30's) & finally accepting that I demonstrate most of FM symptoms (though I still won't fully "claim" the FM label (mid 40's). I'm 50 now.

So yes you're right on target in one respect. There is toxicity coming out - I just don't know what kind. It could well be candida, though my DC insists I'm clear (or was about 5 months ago, anyway).

Since my 2/10 LC reentry, I haven't managed to 100% eliminate sugar. The hypoglycemia makes that really hard for me -I have always jumpstarted my body & stopped the shakes with juice - & still am having 1/3 - 1/4 cup of watered down juice in the morning. Maybe I can figure out a way to let that go....

Have a healthy, vibrant day!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Feb-18-03, 16:18

Yes, you are right, it is a complex problem, fibromyalgia, I mean. I was never "officially" diagnosed, but my chiropractor did test me, and I had most of the tender points, and the symptoms. I read alot about fibro, and I think it's pretty obvious that I have it.

I am hypothyroid, and have allergies to mold, as well. Not a fun combination.

I think this low carb lifestyle will help both of us with all of our health issues. I am already noticing a change for the better. I think people like us will take longer, but in the end it will be worth it.

Staying away from sugar is hard. But you are on the right track. Keep watering down the juice more and more. Sometimes, weaning oneself off of something is less of a shock to the system.
L-glutamine helps me alot with sugar cravings, at least the physical cravings. The psychological cravings are still strong, when I see candy I want to eat it. That may never totally go away, but I am hoping!

Have a great day, jump in my journal anytime to say hi, and let me know how you are doing!

-Jess
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Feb-18-03, 21:09

Plan: atkins
Stats: 175/158/130
BF:
Progress: 38%
Default fm and ibs

hi your not alone I also have fm and ibs and agree about more pain starting on the atkins diet. I am on day 3 and I have a headache and alot of pain in my arms and legs.Im hopeing it will ease up. I am interested in the fm and yeast conection. Where did you come upon this info?
Good luck to all
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Feb-19-03, 00:07

Plan: Bernstein/Atkins
Stats: 210/180/125
BF:
Progress: 35%

I think a lot of us just really 'put it all together' as far as the symptoms go. Go back and read some of the older posts on this forum and you'll begin to see a pattern. There are quite a few books on FM out there but they don't all agree as to the reason it occurs, nor the right way to combat it. I've been battling FM for years and I'm winning. I didn't realize how far I'd come until I recently read a thread on this forum where everyone was describing current aches and woes when I realized everything they were complaining about were the same things I *had*, but don't have now, thanks to my self-directed program. It's been about 4 years now since I was diagnosed and I began treatment. I still have FM, but it's a minor factor in my life now. You are in for a long haul, but you can win. Keep your chin up and let us help....
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Feb-19-03, 07:41

BF:

Thanks KJ - Now I'm "dying" / nope cancel that / "extremely curious" to know more about your self-directed heal fibro program. I'll try a search for your posts - since I don't see a journal for you. I'm not here long enough for PvtMessaging - but when I am, perhaps you could share some pointers? And I will be sure to go back & read all the prior posts in this section, as soon as I can!

It's refreshing & encouraging to hear someone say the fibromyalgia stuff is NOT forever! I know & believe it can be changed, but oh boy - keeping your chin up when you feel knocked down can be SO hard.

Jess - Thank you, thank you, for the on target prompt. After your input, suggesting candida, I realized I am experiencing dieoff & other c. symptoms - extreme crotch/vaginal itching for past few days anyway. (Much background with creating & clearing candida, over & over, for last 15 years!)

I just dowsed /muscle tested & got Yes / & will need to treat/handle this for 30 days. I have 2weeks of homeopathic 30C remedy, from my last successful clearing (which is what my primary doctor "prescribed") & will start there. Hope dieoff reactions don't intensify. - I love you calling them out - "Die little buggers Die"!

Jocelyn - You keep the faith! There's lots of good info here. Jess has a journal, you might pop in for a visit there - bet she'd share a research source with you.

Thanks everyone for the support and encouragement. It is SO good to have someone who understands.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Feb-19-03, 13:00

Default fibro and candida

Hi! I read alot of info regarding the two being related, I will do some more research and post the links that I find. Sorry, I am a bad researcher, I should always keep track, but I forget to write links down.

I remember reading an interesting article on about.com. Mary Shoman has an excellent website on about. com relating to thyroid problems. One of the articles was about how fibro, candida and hypothyroidism could be related. Since I, for one, have all three, it really peaked my curiosity. I will go on that site, and look for the specific article, and get back to you all. I firmly believe that all of the health issues I have are inter-related, and that proper nutrition and supplements will cure everything. I am still fine tuning, and learning, but I think all of us on low-carb are on the right track.

For anyone that hasn't read it yet, I would highly recommend Dr Atkins Vita-Nutrient Solution. A great informative book, that IMO should be on everyone's bookshelf.

More later, give me a few days to pull some links together!!

-Jess
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Apr-14-05, 11:27

Plan: VERY low!
Stats: 127/127/127 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress:
Default Fibromyalgia Book

Hi, Gang!
I thought I'd seen a book on fibromyalgia that was pro-low-carb diet. Is anybody familiar with it? I'm an SCD person who must eat very low-carb and my brother (who looks like my twin) has fibromyalgia. Sure would like to turn him onto this.
Thx!
Artful
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Apr-28-05, 01:08

Plan: gluten free lc
Stats: 200/130/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 175%

I've been diagnosed with FM, CFIDS, graves disease, GERD, restless leg syndrome,(etc.) and have tried many things over the years. One of the very best things to help me is going low carb which helped me see that wheat/grains/gluten are a real problem for me. It's explained real well in the book Protein Power Lifeplan. Chapter 6: the concept of leaky gut syndrome and the autoimmune reactions it causes. As long as I stay away from grains I feel fine, except I was left with fatigue. I just had my yearly physical and looks like I have a yeast infection. I was suspecting that, and about a few days ago started taking oil of oregano, olive leaf extract, caprillic acid and virgin coconut oil. Yesterday I started with something the Dr. gave me for the infection, and later today, I started feeling a lot more energetic than I have in a long time. So, I'm hoping the fatigue is cleared up for me. Hope this helps you all in your search for your own answers. -Gail