Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Sat, Jan-24-04, 07:18

Plan: World Domination
Stats: 210/175/154 Male 6ft
BF:
Progress: 63%

That spooky music was so funny!
Ohhhh Scary Dt Atkins
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Sun, Jan-25-04, 09:54

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 245/234/200
BF:don't care!!
Progress: 24%

Jackie, THANK YOU. I didn't feel that I could write to them as I didn't watch it so thank you again for what you are doing.
  #33   ^
Old Mon, Jan-26-04, 09:23

Plan: Gluten free wholefoods
Stats: 173/145/147 Female 5"4.5 inches
BF:37/?/25
Progress: 108%

I found it really annoying the way all the nutritionists were anti Atkins. Could they not have found even one unbiased nutritionist? The scary music and shots of planets were really annoying. it was certainly sensationalist!!!!
  #34   ^
Old Mon, Jan-26-04, 09:44

Stats: 222/178.4/135 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 50%

It was the elimination of celery by that guy from his diet that got me. As well as potatoes, etc, with no explanation about why, no reasoning behind it, no nothing. And they never even tackled the whole sugar and flour issue!!! The whole programme was a huge disappointment.

We need to face it - mainstream doctors, scientists, and nutritionists do not seem to have a grasp on how the human body actually works. And the gullible public should really stop listening to them!
  #35   ^
Old Tue, Jan-27-04, 02:21

Plan: Atkins & Schwarzbein
Stats: 234/157/90 Female 4' 6"
BF:56.4%/38.8%/23.9%
Progress: 53%
Thumbs up Horizon - The Atkins Diet

I also finally got around to watching last Thursday's Horizon programme on The Atkins Diet. From what I had read in this thread I was not sure what I would make of the programme. On the whole I thought it was a good programme. The programme featured Brian who had lost 5 stone over 10 months and he was probably in his 40s/50s. This was good and he had tried many other diets previously that had not worked. He did good and gave a very positive image of the diet.

The programme also covered the US research earlier last year that showed how of the two groups who were on a low fat diet and the Atkins diet that the Atkins people did almost twice as well in their weight loss and ended up with better cholesterol levels than the low fat group.

The programme also showed the results from the Diet Trials diaries that one of the reasons that Atkins works is because it supresses appetite by eating more protein. Well that is hardly new! The book tells us that in the first place. They tried to make out about calories being lost through ketosis, but that did not work. Don't know why they expected it to.

I thought that generally it was a good programme. My critisims would be that it did not cover the reasons that carbs are reduced, namely the insulin effect. I did not find the music disturbing, but did not particularly like the outer space shots or those blown up ones with people stuffing their mouths. I think that the message that you can eat as much as you like is wrong, but we all know that for many they can follow this way of life without counting calories. People are still harping on about not knowing about the long term effects. Given that eating this way is how our ancestors ate. Surely if there was going to be real problems we would know that from archaeology.

Oh well, 2.5 years later I am still feeling really fit and healthy, so, what the heck!
  #36   ^
Old Wed, Jan-28-04, 12:39
Registered Member

Stats: 177/131/126 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 90%

Just to report that I have now forwarded the feedback in this thread to my contact on the Horizon Atkins programme team, as promised. If I get a reply of any interest, I'll post it on this board.

Did the Surrey researchers ever show their faces on the BBC Horizon message board as promised, by the way?

Jackie Bushell
  #37   ^
Old Sat, May-29-04, 13:33

Stats: 190/177/160 Male 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 43%

I have just been reading the thread With all the negative reports - why did you start?

The programme helped make my mind up to start Atkins and my impression of the documentary was more in line with those of Rustpot (post 27) and LittleAnne (post 36)
  #38   ^
Old Tue, Jun-01-04, 05:22

Plan: Atkins & Schwarzbein
Stats: 234/157/90 Female 4' 6"
BF:56.4%/38.8%/23.9%
Progress: 53%

Good for you Vic.

Now look at your statistics. You have done really well. Now to make this a way of life and keep those pounds off. Well done.