Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-04, 12:16
Modified :)

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 242/223/175 Male 170cm
BF:
Progress: 28%

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCFletcher
Well bully for you Rebecca! I see you're in London. Looks like all the Atkins stuff didn't get any further north!

I'm in Glasgow so they made it up here.. maybe they're just doing top and bottom of the country

Quote:
By the way, you shouldn't be eating Atkins bars on induction. Naughty!

Unfortunately the leaflet that you can get free in Boots has a meal planner for induction which has amongst it:-

Day 1 - 1 Breakfast bar, 1 shake
Day 2 - nothing
Day 3 - 1 Advantage bar
Day 4 - 1 Shake mixed with 115ml cream - isn't induction limited to 2-3 tablespoons of cream ? !
Day 5 - Pancakes made from Bake Mix, 1 Advantage Bar
Day 6 - nothing
Day 7 - Bread from Bake Mix, 1 shake

bloody hell, that's a lot of chemicals they're recommending for induction
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-04, 14:47

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

This is completely against what he says in his books. He must be spinning in his grave!
  #33   ^
Old Thu, Jan-08-04, 04:44

Plan: Generic Low Carb
Stats: 148/131/126 Female 5 ft 6"
BF:
Progress: 77%

I had a look in Boots yesterday (Central London) and they had the stuff. Two comments:

a) Extremely expensive
b) Frightening to read the labels of the bars and shakes - they seem to consist primarily of chemicals and preservatives

No thanks, I 've got used to eating real food and - with the exception of the occasional Thornton's vanilla fudge bar or chocolate mint cream - I'm going to stick with that and save a fortune

Last edited by SylviaUK : Thu, Jan-08-04 at 04:46.
  #34   ^
Old Thu, Jan-08-04, 11:58

Plan: EFGT/Nourishing Trads
Stats: -/-/- Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 57%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi

Has anyone tried Holland & Barrett? - I had heard that they would be stocking Atkins products too.

And that's another bugbear of mine .... My local GNC (which was Holland and Barrett) has completely failed to jump on any visible bandwagons. They have precisely two lo-carb chocolate bars which are aimed at body builders and that's it. When I asked if they would stock Gluten powder to make my low carb bread last year, they said their supplier was unable to do it. Didn't even know what it was. My feeling is that they consider themselves a "health shop" so why would they stock anything as unhealthy as low carb products?

Rant over
  #35   ^
Old Thu, Jan-08-04, 12:19

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
My feeling is that they consider themselves a "health shop" so why would they stock anything as unhealthy as low carb products?

I spoke to the owner of my local health food shop yesterday about low carb products - they already stock things like soya flour, ground almonds, AND CAVALIER CHOCOLATES - and they said they would certainly look into stocking far more products

However, they are not a 'chain', therefore, it's easier for them to make the decision to sell such products I suppose.
  #36   ^
Old Fri, Jan-09-04, 12:49
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 230/209/140 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 23%

my local boots have the atkins products in the store room-wouldn't/couldn't say which ones.they just need to decide when to display them.i'll be keeping an eye on the local asda
dolli
  #37   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-04, 10:05

Plan: Charles Clark/Atkins
Stats: 164/161/124 Female 5' 4"
BF:28%/28%/21%
Progress: 8%

well I am shocked and amazed nipped into my local Boots and they have a whole stack of atkins bars / shakes / vitamins and the book

Anyway I bought and tried a chocolate advantage bar - yuk! they are so not nice! plus totally disagreeing with me - so something they put in them isn't liking me

At least I have tried them and know not to touch them!!
  #38   ^
Old Fri, Jan-16-04, 07:04

Stats: 230/161.2/146 Female 5ft 6in
BF:yep, sure have !!
Progress: 82%

well...wentback to my local Boots today ( Riverside Northampton) and they now have some of the items stocked !!

I bought the bake mix, the Morning Shine Apple bars ( thought I would keep them for emergencies when there really is no other alternative, and one chocolate hazlenut advantage bar.

Thought I'd give the chocolate bar a go, first bite was ok, halfway through it now and ive decided I dont like it at all -far too sweet , so thats going in the bin !!!

Have to agree with some of the others, theres a good chance that people will get the perception that the Atkins WOL is about shakes & replacement bars rather than 'proper food' !!

Lisa x
  #39   ^
Old Fri, Jan-16-04, 07:24
Modified :)

Stats: 242/223/175 Male 170cm
BF:
Progress: 28%

Did they have the free booklet in your store Lisa? They recommend a scary amount of products during induction!
  #40   ^
Old Fri, Jan-16-04, 07:34

I am not suer I saw the apple bars - are the nicer than the chocolate ones?

Doogie - the leaflet was in my store and yeah very scary!! its the same leaflet I got with my atkins vitamins! so unless you buy the book and/or read it here you won't know not to real on them as meals!
  #41   ^
Old Fri, Jan-16-04, 09:28

Stats: 230/161.2/146 Female 5ft 6in
BF:yep, sure have !!
Progress: 82%

must admit I didnt see the leaflet, but all the products were dotted around everywhere !!

Havent tried the apple bar yet, still feel sick after the chocolate bar !

The more I think about it, the more negative effect I think these products will have on peoples perception . The big thing for me going onto atkins, is the fact that I have been eating so much 'proper' food, and not relying on all of the processed 'ready meals' that I used to live on. I honestly think if I had eaten the bars / shakes etc at the begining, I would not be as in control of my eating as I am now - and for me that has been a huge factor in my wieght loss!!

Dont get me wrong I think some of these products are gonna be great for 'emergency' use, but for me they cant replace the good old Atkins Way of Life that I have grown to love !!!

Lisa x
  #42   ^
Old Fri, Jan-16-04, 10:10

agree 100% with you. I have no choice but to eat 'natural' foods cos most processed food conatin stuff that I am allergic too, so for me I have no choice - but for some people they will probably treat the bars the same is the slimfast stuff! That way it does become a diet and not a WOL!!
  #43   ^
Old Sat, Jan-17-04, 16:37

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

Atkins bars and vitamins spotted in Boots in Newcastle!
  #44   ^
Old Sat, Jan-17-04, 20:16

Stats: 245/234/200
BF:don't care!!
Progress: 24%

There will always be people who want the 'easy' way out of a diet. Who want to be TOLD what to eat and not have to think about it (Slimfast anyone??lol) - so let them do that and stall and we'll just get on with what we know eh?

I am just pleased to have the choice and the OPTION to buy these things if I want to. I bought a shake and a Chocolate Decadence bar on Friday to try. I liked them both but they will be for emergencies only. I do prefer real food to these things but if I'm stuck with no food in the house for breakfast it's good to know that on the way to work I can grab a bar or shake or whatever.

I have the option now, but it doesnt mean that I have to use it!