Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#211   ^
Old Tue, Feb-12-13, 18:31

Plan: Stillmans
Stats: 237/227/145 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 11%

Thank you apache75

Are you doing Stillman's also? I haven't become bored with it yet and I've dropped another pound...so officially 9 pounds in one week. I know I saw a link to recipes somewhere I just have to dig for it...
Sponsored Links
  #212   ^
Old Thu, Feb-14-13, 07:57

Plan: lowfat lowcarb
Stats: 180/175/135 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InToWin
Thank you apache75

Are you doing Stillman's also? I haven't become bored with it yet and I've dropped another pound...so officially 9 pounds in one week. I know I saw a link to recipes somewhere I just have to dig for it...

Right now I am doing a Protein Sparing Modified Fast which is just like Stillmans but allows low carb vegetables. I have done Stillman's many times and it is such a wonderful diet and gets the job done. If I get a little more hardcore feeling I may join, but for now I need the veggies to get through.
9 lbs in one week is awesome!
  #213   ^
Old Thu, Mar-07-13, 14:28

Plan: Low carb/real food
Stats: 210/179/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 52%

Well, I am gonna give this another go! i have been on and off low carbing for the last couple yrs...actually been OFF since the holidays and I feel like crud!
I have a cruise coming up at the end of May and the thought of wearing a swimsuit is enough to give me a panic attack! i need something to be strict with no wiggle room. so I am gonna try Stillman's for a couple weeks then try and transition back to low carb. I am starting tomorrow because it will be grocery day.
it sounds like many of you have had success...congrats...hope to join you soon!!!!
  #214   ^
Old Sat, Mar-16-13, 10:22

Plan: Stillman
Stats: 203/188/140 Female 63
BF:
Progress:
Default New to this

Hello Everyone.
I am trying to find out all the info I can on the Stillman diet. Any information would be greatly appreciated. I have a daughter who is 16 and the doctor wants her to cut out carbs and recommended the Stillman diet for a while and then the Zone diet. I am trying to make this easy on her and help her out with foods, recipes and mostly a menu to follow. She is a very active girl and on the go all the time...so easy is probably the key, even though I know that isn't always possible when diets are concerned
I would like to do this with her also thinking it might be easier for her.
Any books or websites that can help understand? Any menus out there to help her follow?
Thanks everyone for your help.
I will be following along and posting our progress.
  #215   ^
Old Sat, Mar-16-13, 10:36

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

I did Stillman's a few times when I was your daughter's age and I found it very very difficult. It is about as low as you can go in carbs, low fat and high protein. That's a difficult (impossible?) combination to maintain on. I can still remember broiling hamburger patties and chicken breasts (ugh), but I'm sure that I was never able to stick to it for more than a week at a time.

The Zone, on the other hand, allows quite a lot of carbs - and I recall is fairly low fat. The carbs will increase appetite and cravings, but if you have to limit fat....again, hard to maintain.

I would recommend Atkins as the perfect middle ground. You start very low carb (20 total carbs or 20 net carbs, depending on which version), and gradually add carbs till you find your tolerance for them, paying careful attention how the additional carbs and new foods affect cravings, hunger and weight loss (or gain. Fat is your friend on Atkins which keeps you satisfied. If your doctor still fears fat, he is wrong. Read Gary Taubes' Why We Get Fat and What to do About It to see what really makes us fat (spoiler alert: it's carbs, NOT fat). Taubes includes a list of foods at the end of the book which is based on Dr Westman's clinic plan, which is in turn based on the original Dr Atkins Diet Revolution from 1972.

South Beach is another plan that I think is sustainable. A little lower fat, and higher carb than Atkins, and since it is written by a leading cardiologist, other doctors seem to be more accepting of it than Atkins. Depending on your daughter's tolerance for carbs, it may be great for her. Again, it starts lower carb, and increases them, though less systematically than Atkins (I personally LOVE the structure of Atkins' carb ladder).

Once you settle on a plan, there are tons of recipes, etc on this website. Both Atkins and South Beach also have their own sites which provide more recipes and meal plans. Whatever you decide on, both you and your daughter should read the book(s) to understand the fine points.
  #216   ^
Old Tue, Apr-30-13, 13:33

Stats: 236/228.2/135 Female 69
BF:
Progress: 8%
Default Hi from a Newbie in CT

Well I've lurked on this site for a little while and decided to join. I just started the Stillman diet last Wednesday, April 24 and have lost 8.2 lbs as of this morning. I've done Atkins many times and had some success, but find myself eating too many calories. This past week has been fairly easy and I find my appetite has decreased and I feel satisfied on 650 to 800 calories a day. I am following the diet very strictly and feel for once that I will actually be able to meet my goal weight sometime in October of this year. My sister in Florida and I are doing this together and I know we are going to be successful. If any of you have had success with QWL and how you made it successful, please pass along your tips.

Thanks for allowing me to hitch my journey to yours.
Liz
  #217   ^
Old Sun, Jul-07-13, 12:16

Plan: atkins or stillmans
Stats: 174/174/130 Female 5ft.6in.
BF:
Progress:

Hi Stillies,
I'd like to join you all. I'm officially starting today at 174! I am hoping to keep pretty pure on this woe, but will add just a few changes so I can stay with it longer and healthier. I'm gonna add a green shake of only 5 carbs and 1 tablespoon of a good oil preferably CO. A small salad.

Is anyone around to chat with these days?
  #218   ^
Old Tue, Jul-30-13, 12:31

Stats: 205/193/175 Male 5-11
BF:
Progress: 40%
Default Wow - this is great!

I am a newbie so please forgive any improper posting, but heard about Stillman from reading NeanderThin and came across this forum - OMG you folks are providing wonderful information - thank you!
  #219   ^
Old Mon, Aug-05-13, 14:57

Stats: 205/193/175 Male 5-11
BF:
Progress: 40%
Default First week

Lost 11 lbs in the first week - I'd say this diet works!
  #220   ^
Old Tue, Aug-27-13, 03:52

Stats: 245/224.6/185 Male 66 inches
BF:
Progress:

Great to see a seemingly active Stillman thread. Found info on the Stillman diet back in 2009 - 2010 after deciding that it was time to do something about my weight. Read all about different diets and calorie counting etc and said that's not for me. Just kind of stumbled into the Stillman diet while researching proteins and carbs - when I read the requirements outlined in Stillman I said that's it - it's definitely a man's diet - meat, meat and more meat - I can do this. So I went from 225 to 195lbs in about 2 months before I got bored with it.

I was pretty content at the time and kept pretty near that weight for about 3 years. 2012 and for whatever reason (mostly being a couch potato) I was starting to put on the lbs again.

October 2012 had to buy a new suit for my Daughter's wedding and was shocked at the waist sized the tailor was telling me. I vowed I would have to buy another suit before my youngest got married ---- fast forward to August 2013 and it's true, I almost had to buy another suit - weighed in a couple days after the wedding and was again shocked at 245.

August 9th decided to go back to Stillman - 2.5 weeks later I weighed in at 224.6 before coming in to work tonight. While I'd really like to get down to the 165 range my target weight right now is 185. Figured I bought a bottle of multi vitamins and there are 60 in the bottle - so I'll stick to Stillman for 60 days then take a couple weeks off until I get to my target weight. Stick to the plan everyone - Stillman diet does work...
  #221   ^
Old Mon, Sep-23-13, 10:58

Plan: Stillman's
Stats: 214/193/135 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress:
Default New to Stillman's diet

Just started the stillman's diet this morning. My mother sis years ago with success and just informed me about it last week. I ordered the book and I'm anxiously awaiting it's arrival. I so need to get all this excess weight off and I feel this is the answer. Just a lil worried since I can't eat anything but meats...
  #222   ^
Old Tue, Sep-24-13, 03:21

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

All the rules are listed in the first post of this thread...it is very straightforward VLC and the book doesn't add much. You can also find all the phase 1 Dukan rules on-line, which is all meat plus yogurt and cottage cheese, and after a 3-5 day start, add some veggies every other day. The small amount of veg and dairy made it a bit more palatable for me. All the best!!
  #223   ^
Old Tue, Sep-24-13, 11:37

BF:
Progress:

Thanks Janet, so I can have yogurt..is there a preferable type. I hate cottage cheese so I'm so far only doing skim milk cheese. but will try veggie every other day after day 5. It was hard day one I seem to be hungry all day and today has been a challenge but I'm holding on.
  #224   ^
Old Wed, Sep-25-13, 03:06

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Dairy just says below 2% but I used non-fat Greek yogurt to get higher protein and a good brand without additives. The quantities of protein are not limited, if hungry, you can eat.
  #225   ^
Old Wed, Sep-25-13, 09:06

BF:
Progress:

Thanks a bunch Janet. i visited the grocery store this morning before work and purchased some plain greek yogurt, some more skim milk cheese and some sugar free gelatin. Today seems alot better I guess my body is starting to adjust. My stomach has seemed to go down some as well. I will be going to purchase a digital scale for home cause my manual scale is hard to read. I could use the one at work but I would like to measure before I get dressed in the mornings. Thanks again your information has really helped cause I wanted to stop but I want things to change, I'm tired of being overweight, I never was overweight all my life then I turned 32 and got sick and everything changed. Well...fat watch out cause you can't stay here....lol...
Temika