Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Mar-05-04, 21:38

Plan: south beach
Stats: 166.5/166.5/130 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Question too many veggies on induction?

Hey Atkinsers --

I'm on my second day of induction and have been super hungry today. I've been eating more than the maximum 3 cups of veggies. Does anyone know if this is going to mean slower loss? I've eaten only lc veggies: lettuce, raw cauliflower and broccoli, cucumber, and celery. I like veggies and also have a hard time with just protein and fat in my belly; veggies fill me up.

I've done atkins before but never for the long haul. And I'm heavier than I've ever been after going back to all that sugar and flour. Someone please tell me that it's not all gloom and doom for weight loss if you have been on and off lc. I know from reading the posts that going back to eating carbs and then back to lc makes it harder to lose than it is the first time lc'ing. But tell me there's hope! Anyone reading this post that has gone off of lc and back on (and maybe back off and back on again) and still reached goal weight -- let me know you're doin' it! I've always headed back into carbs with the "Oh this one bite is o.k.; I've been so good it won't hurt" mentality. But there is no such thing as one cookie or bite of ice cream for me!

I feel like I ate a MOUNTAIN of food today:

b - 4 eggs cooked in butter
l - romaine lettuce, cucumber, 1 slice cheddar, flax oil, lemon juice
s - sauteed turkey breast, celery, cream cheese (too much!), 8 olives, mozzarella cheese (also too much!)
d - raw broccoli, cauliflower, celery, romaine lettuce, turkey and roast beef slices, blue cheese dressing (a lot!)

Lots of veggies and too much cheese for induction rules. Any comments?

Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Mar-05-04, 21:49

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 213/141/150 Female 5'4 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 114%

Hi!

You may be just fine...but my recommendation would be to measure the veggies like Atkins says...2 cups salad veggies and 1 cup other lc veggies - no more than 3 cups. I ate a lot of cheese on induction and it didn't slow me down...but it does some people, so if you don't seem to be loosing that would be something to look at.

Your menu looks pretty good, actually, depending on the serving sizes. Have you started using fitday.com to track your carbs and fat? I highly recommend it...it's a way to keep yourself accountable and then you don't have to guess at the number of carbs you're consuming each day.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Mar-05-04, 22:32
Low-Carber 4 Life

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 355/232/195 Male 6'0"
BF:(?/<?/<<?)
Progress: 77%

Hi,

I too was stressing a bit about my veggies. Before this WOE I almost never ate salads or any of the staple salad vegetables. Now I eat them twice a day, at least, and I just love them. Almost from the start of induction I have been slightly over the "3 cups of salad veggies, or 2 cups + 1 cup other lc veggies". I've re-read the section on induction in my DANDRE and I really think these numbers shouldn't be taken as if they were set in stone.

20 net carbs a day is the important number for induction. With the amount of dietary fiber in most salad vegetables, the net carbs are very low. They help with digestion, are loaded with nutrients and are quite low in calories.

If you are eating 1-2 extra cups of the salad veggies a day, and counting the carbs, I say all the power to you.

Again this is just my take on it, YMMV.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Mar-05-04, 22:56
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

If I were you, I'd wait and see how things pan out. No one ever gained weight from eating extra raw veggies...

The cheese, OTOH... I'd measure that a little more carefully, and if you're hungry, add more fat in another form, like butter or olive oil. There are different theories as to why, but cheese can really be a staller *and* a trigger food.

Good luck!
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Mar-06-04, 06:18
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

I agree with hang it out for a while. You may get really hungry at first, or feel like your going nuts as you go through the withdrawls and your body panics. If you keep putting healthy foods into it, then it gets reassured that you have enough coming in and aren't going to start starving. When you get into ketosis, there is also some appitite suppression.

Rememebr too that there is often a slight slow down about half way through the second week or the third week. This seems to happen to everyone while your body kind of catches it's breath. After that weight loss resumes at a slightly slower, healthy rate. Don't panic and start cutting back on food then.

I also agree use www.fitday.com for a while, just until you get a really good feel for carbs, fat, and getting enough calories
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Mar-06-04, 06:21
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 270/215/150 Female 5'4
BF:not sure
Progress: 46%

I would do as the other have said, another option is to eat the veggies that are lowest in carbs as your "extras' - such as the romaine lettuce with a bit of dressing...
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Mar-06-04, 10:58

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 283/179/150 Female 68"
BF:
Progress: 78%

I wouldn't worry about the veggies really in my opinion. I have ate more than the 3 C. of veggies since I started and any slowed weightloss or anything that I have had has never been caused by them.

Veggies are your friend!
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Mar-06-04, 14:11

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%

Your menu looks fine !
Keep it up :>)
If you are still hungry, have a couple of boiled eggs on hand or some avocado/tuna. They are are filling.
Kathy