Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#196   ^
Old Sat, Mar-21-20, 12:27

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by s93uv3h
The Carnivore Code, Paul Saladino, MD, 2020.
Holy cow. Plant toxins, inflammation causing, oxalate, dna damage. This is a great read so far.
Sponsored Links
  #197   ^
Old Sat, Mar-21-20, 14:49

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
A friend from another forum (where we discuss LC/Keto/Carnivore/etc.) gifted me this just released book today - The Carnivore Code, Paul Saladino, MD, 2020. Can't wait to start!

Just finished this book last week. Good writer, so it was a quick and interesting read. Before I started the book, I was primarily meat, sometimes fish with very few vegetables. After reading the book, I'm the same; although, Saladino calls this approach the first phase of becoming carnivore as "carnivorish." I don't see any reason to change, and I will no longer succumb to peanuts and have significantly lowered my consumption of tree nuts as well.

His illustration of Spectrum Of Plant Toxicity lists least toxic vegetables to most toxic. Least toxic are lettuces(leafy greens), non-sweet fruits, and squash. Nuts, grains, legumes, seeds, and high-oxalate foods are most toxic. I've stopped eating nightshades (tomatoes, eggplant, peppers), and I usually eat mostly animal proteins and fats with occasional lettuce and cucumber salads sometimes with avocados. I have noticed a difference, as I also eat grass-fed beef liver two or three times a week. I'm fortunate that I have a farm about 40 minutes away that raises grass-fed cattle, so I visit about once a month to stock up. I'm not exclusively "grass-fed" but try to frequently add it to my meal plan. I've noticed many supermarkets in the area are now stocking grass-fed, which is a good thing.

While the book contains much information with which many "all-in" low carbers are familiar, his treatise and break down of the toxins in plants and what they do to people is very thorough and informative. Going carnivore by definition is an elimination diet, except for the meat, and trying this WOE for 30-60 days has the potential to expose those foods which may be causing problems. I highly recommend the book.

Last edited by GRB5111 : Sat, Mar-21-20 at 14:55.
  #198   ^
Old Sun, Mar-22-20, 01:23

BF:

Quote:
Holy cow. Plant toxins, inflammation causing, oxalate, dna damage. This is a great read so far.
Austism and cancer

page 84

#199   ^
Old Sun, Mar-22-20, 05:41

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

I knew about spinach, but not about raspberries. Interesting!
  #200   ^
Old Sun, Mar-22-20, 06:51
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

green sludge oxalate bombs ...

Yummo!
  #201   ^
Old Sun, Mar-22-20, 07:07

BF:

I'm glad juicers cost so much. I was on the fence a year ago, looking to try / make those green smoothies. Glad I held off lol.
  #202   ^
Old Sun, Mar-22-20, 07:13

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

I eat a lot of low carb veggies while still keeping my net carbs low. Lately I have been following Marty Kendall's nutrient optimizer advice and focusing on micronutrients. Maybe Paul Saladino is right. Maybe Marty Kendall is right. Maybe they both are right but for now my nutrient dense diet which includes a lot of veggies along with a lot of meat and fish seems to be working for me. Perhaps there is more than one "healtheist" way to eat as long as we accept certain principles, like pay attention to one's metabolic health and adjust accordingly.

(I've never gone in for green smoothies. That eating fad seems to have passed me by)
  #203   ^
Old Sat, Mar-28-20, 04:16

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
A friend from another forum (where we discuss LC/Keto/Carnivore/etc.) gifted me this just released book today - The Carnivore Code, Paul Saladino, MD, 2020. Can't wait to start!
I've ordered a copy, which is hopefully arriving today. Looking forward to reading it
  #204   ^
Old Fri, Apr-10-20, 12:14

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

For this group...a new form of Low Carb Resource. The DietDoctor CME course on Low Carb diets! I thought you had to be a healthcare worker (no, anyone can sign -up). You do not need a membership either. Spend some new found free time on a medical education https://www.dietdoctor.com/free-con...rse-on-low-carb

Also in this link is a printable one page pamphlet with information about this CME, for you to share with any doctor or nurse who would like to learn more about the diet you are using.
  #205   ^
Old Tue, Apr-14-20, 12:28

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

New book by Dr. Cate Shanahan, The Fat Burn Fix. https://www.amazon.com/Fatburn-Fix-...g/dp/B07THM3SJD

I haven’t read it yet, but Dr. Cate was on a 90 minute podcast with Paul Saladino, MD. https://carnivoremd.com/how-coronav...e-shanahan-m-d/ How does coronavirus kill "healthy" people. Her deep dive into why PUFAs, not carbs on their own, lead to insulin resistance. Don’t miss at the end her open approach to death. Also Paul's Carnivore Code book will be republished in August with big publisher, new additions, including an index, with broader availability.

Quote:
8:50 Start of podcast 10:20 Coronavirus and metabolic health. 11:30 Who is getting sick with Coronavirus? 22:55 The problem with medical specialities. 24:05 Pneumonia and ARDS. 30:15 Polyunsaturated fat(seed oils). 33:58 How to protect ourselves(and others) from Coronavirus. 35:37 Metabolic health and our immune system. 36:43 How do vegetable oils lead to insulin resistance? 44:50 The brain and the regulation of blood sugar. 47:46 The composition of fatty acids. 53:08 Cate and the president of the CIA. 58:50 Is canola oil healthy for us? 1:00:00 How does Canola oil lower LDL cholesterol.? 1:04:30 Oxidation of fats. 1:06:30 Mitochondria and fat oxidation. 1:10:45 What is the function of your metabolism? 1:13:50 Does Cate ever do red blood cells fatty acid analyses? 1:20:12 Are carbohydrates a detriment to our metabolic health? 1:23:50 The issue with Ancel Keys and the demonization f fat. 1:25:35 Are Omega 3 fatty acids beneficial? 1:29:13 Where to find Cate’s work? 1:31:20 What is the most radical thing Cate has done recently?

Last edited by JEY100 : Tue, Apr-14-20 at 12:57.
  #206   ^
Old Tue, Apr-14-20, 14:04

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 225/224/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 2%

Oxalates...... might be a problem for ADHD, but not everyone. Or on the otherhand, maybe AdHDers do a better job of kicking out the oxalates. Will watch my kids this summer when they rediscover kale smoothies.....an N=2 experiment. ( we make smoothies with citric acid, in the lemon flavored drink mix)

Also begs the question, how to grow to reduce oxalates. maybe our modern growing methods have increased levels.hmmmmm

https://www.livescience.com/56237-w...feel-weird.html

plant breeders working to lowers levels in spinach; and boiling reduces the amount as does dowsing with an acid like lemon juice. or vinegar.

Perhaps thats why vinegar on spinach was the norm.

Last edited by Ms Arielle : Tue, Apr-14-20 at 14:14.
  #207   ^
Old Tue, Apr-14-20, 17:33

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
Oxalates...... might be a problem for ADHD, but not everyone. Or on the otherhand, maybe AdHDers do a better job of kicking out the oxalates. Will watch my kids this summer when they rediscover kale smoothies.....an N=2 experiment. ( we make smoothies with citric acid, in the lemon flavored drink mix)

Also begs the question, how to grow to reduce oxalates. maybe our modern growing methods have increased levels.hmmmmm

https://www.livescience.com/56237-w...feel-weird.html

plant breeders working to lowers levels in spinach; and boiling reduces the amount as does dowsing with an acid like lemon juice. or vinegar.

Yes vinegar use to be a condiment on all cafe tables back in the day. The old timers always put it on all cooked greens.
  #208   ^
Old Wed, Apr-15-20, 21:03

BF:

Just reread Gary Taubes' The Case Against Sugar. A refresher is always motivating for me. Great section on gout. I had forgotten about the connection between a type 2 diabetic mother and newborn and the propensity to pass this down.
  #209   ^
Old Thu, Apr-16-20, 03:57

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
Oxalates...... might be a problem for ADHD, but not everyone. Or on the otherhand, maybe AdHDers do a better job of kicking out the oxalates.

I am a dill pickle/Carolina BBQ sauce/apple cider vinegar devotee. Fiber concerns has me off coconut wraps and a handful of salad greens a day. That might be helpful to me for more than the fiber.
  #210   ^
Old Thu, Apr-30-20, 23:12

BF:

Fat Chance, Dr. Robert H. Lustig 2012

goodreads description

Robert Lustig’s 90-minute YouTube video Sugar: The Bitter Truth, has been viewed more than two million times. Now, in this much anticipated book, he documents the science and the politics that has led to the pandemic of chronic disease over the last 30 years.

In the late 1970s when the government mandated we get the fat out of our food, the food industry responded by pouring more sugar in. The result has been a perfect storm, disastrously altering our biochemistry and driving our eating habits out of our control.

To help us lose weight and recover our health, Lustig presents personal strategies to readjust the key hormones that regulate hunger, reward, and stress; and societal strategies to improve the health of the next generation. Compelling, controversial, and completely based in science, Fat Chance debunks the widely held notion to prove “a calorie is NOT a calorie”, and takes that science to its logical conclusion to improve health worldwide.