Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Oct-18-19, 05:08

Plan: Zero Carb!
Stats: 234/182/170 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 81%

Dawn....ow...sorry for the teeth troubles. Nothing worse than not being able to chew a big old steak or roast!

eggs, bacon, sausage, soft stuff will be a great savior to you definitely.

be nice when the permanent crown goes in and you are back to gnawing on your meat as you need LOL

leaving for 3 day weekend trip. Kid has off from school Monday so we are hitting a little mountain town in Georgia for Octoberfest. Helen Georgia is a little Bavarian type tourist town. We just wanna get away

So I got a lot of sausage pre cooked to take in the rv fridge.
Only 4 hr drive so will stop at grocery about 1 hr out of campground and buy some burger, deli meats for backup, might pick up a pre made rotiss. chicken or ribs or whatever if the store has anything available. I don't care on trips like this....I will buy premade things like a roasted chicken. Anything to stay Carnivore. Being a shorter trip we won't be hunkering down and grilling like crazy so best I make sure some food is around for me. Which I ain't worried, I can do Carn anywhere

Will be interesting to see what German type meat meals will be offered out there. Snitzel? I think that is breaded? Ain't doing breaded meats LOL Will find something new probably to experiment on while eating out. We shall see....but like mentioned before, I will be eating a VERY GOOD sized burger or something before going out to eat cause I know I don't want to be too hungry in case their meat options are crappy. Girl scout time, always be prepared LOL

wonderful Carnivore day to everyone

what benefits have ya'll experienced?

My best benefit is truly energy. I have freaky over the top incredible energy. My energy level astounds me actually. It is like my body must must must move ya know. It craves moving.

I just love that feeling.

I monkeyed around with some eating plans like JUDDD etc. and trying to find that right way to eat for me...….nothing mostly suits me so I am going full in with Carnivore. On other plans I would have to worry about kcals a bit etc. and I would eat some veggies like mushrooms and broccoli to 'fill me up' but I never liked it one bit. My guts didn't appreciate veg either.....lol

So now being all Carnivore only I again feel that crazy energy level coming back on me. Boy do I love it! It is an energy that unless you experience it one can't understand how I feel. It is over the moon great feeling of health and wellness.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Oct-18-19, 07:17

Plan: Higher P/Moderate F + C
Stats: 152/146.6/130 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 25%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whirrlly
Dawn....ow...sorry for the teeth troubles. Nothing worse than not being able to chew a big old steak or roast!

eggs, bacon, sausage, soft stuff will be a great savior to you definitely.

be nice when the permanent crown goes in and you are back to gnawing on your meat as you need LOL

leaving for 3 day weekend trip. Kid has off from school Monday so we are hitting a little mountain town in Georgia for Octoberfest. Helen Georgia is a little Bavarian type tourist town. We just wanna get away

So I got a lot of sausage pre cooked to take in the rv fridge.
Only 4 hr drive so will stop at grocery about 1 hr out of campground and buy some burger, deli meats for backup, might pick up a pre made rotiss. chicken or ribs or whatever if the store has anything available. I don't care on trips like this....I will buy premade things like a roasted chicken. Anything to stay Carnivore. Being a shorter trip we won't be hunkering down and grilling like crazy so best I make sure some food is around for me. Which I ain't worried, I can do Carn anywhere

Will be interesting to see what German type meat meals will be offered out there. Snitzel? I think that is breaded? Ain't doing breaded meats LOL Will find something new probably to experiment on while eating out. We shall see....but like mentioned before, I will be eating a VERY GOOD sized burger or something before going out to eat cause I know I don't want to be too hungry in case their meat options are crappy. Girl scout time, always be prepared LOL

wonderful Carnivore day to everyone

what benefits have ya'll experienced?

My best benefit is truly energy. I have freaky over the top incredible energy. My energy level astounds me actually. It is like my body must must must move ya know. It craves moving.

I just love that feeling.

I monkeyed around with some eating plans like JUDDD etc. and trying to find that right way to eat for me...….nothing mostly suits me so I am going full in with Carnivore. On other plans I would have to worry about kcals a bit etc. and I would eat some veggies like mushrooms and broccoli to 'fill me up' but I never liked it one bit. My guts didn't appreciate veg either.....lol

So now being all Carnivore only I again feel that crazy energy level coming back on me. Boy do I love it! It is an energy that unless you experience it one can't understand how I feel. It is over the moon great feeling of health and wellness.

Funny to see someone mention JUDDD-it's such an unknown, but it's the plan I used way back when I did my active weight loss phase (2012-2013) I enjoyed it/IF, but after using it for a while in maintenance I just got bored with it and quit using in a few years ago.

I've also had an increase in energy, especially in the morning/no afternoon slump. Biggest things from carnivore for me is ease of maintaining a very lean body-weight (low 120s/41yr old woman/5ft, 6in), and then no more pronounced bloating. At my lower weight bloating makes a big difference in how my clothes fit/how I look. When I was eating several servings of veggies every day I would go to bed looking 6 months pregnant every night! When I brought up the issue on MFP (my fitness pal), I was told that bloating is normal and it's just your body digesting food. However, I can eat the same quantity/calories in carnivore foods and go to bed with an almost flat stomach. Bloating to that degree is NOT normal, people are just in denial about how food is affecting them.
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Oct-18-19, 17:12

Plan: KETOVORE
Stats: 234/179/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 70%

Good afternoon!

Rotisseri chicken is a good "grab while out"! I did that tonight. It was delish!!!! Small little critter- (it was a truly small one- grocery) I eat once a day so besides the one thigh left over- I was done, and satisfied.......

Carnivore wanted a tooth pick!!!!!! GO GIRL!!!! - HEHEHEH
  #19   ^
Old Sat, Oct-19-19, 05:39

Plan: My own
Stats: 250/161.4/130 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 74%

I first tried carnivore some 12 years ago (Meat & Eggs, anyone? heh), and often ate only meat and fat during spring and summer on my farm in Michigan, but up there, ketosis was intolerable after summer, and every fall and winter I regained whatever I lost in spring and summer. Down here, however, staying in ketosis is no problem, especially after a series of fasts in the last couple years.

I've recently done a lot of research and video-watching on carnivory, finally committing to 100% animal products with no plants (except coffee, heh). I do allow fresh or canned seafood, some grassfed dairy (but not HWC, which has added emulsifiers), a few eggs a week, and collagen powder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotGal
Actually, when I belonged to the now defunct zero carb forum, most of the members that ate pork said the same thing. I hadn’t noticed it until people started talking about what meat affects them.... Yeah... a lot of people have issues with pork.

Hey, I joined that group way back when!

I've rarely liked pork, except smoked pork products. Unfortunately, smoked pork, especially ham, really makes me retain water. One Easter ten years ago, I gained a shocking 7 lbs in 24 hours, very distressing since it took more than two weeks to get it off again,... clearly pork-intolerant.

I no longer touch ham, but still eat an odd chop or sausage a few times a year as a change; bacon still occasionally calls, but usually avoided due to limited budget.

I've also noticed a similar water-retention problem with excessive chicken and egg intake, probably because I've become I'm corn/soy/GMO-intolerant over the years.

Both pork, poultry and certain farmed fish are fed a near-100% diet of corn-soy mash from birth to death... even organic-fed pork and chickens animals are fed the same, corn/soy diet birth to death; I suspect even organic range-are fed a fair amount of grain to stay alive.

Ruminants (beef, buffalo, goats, sheep) on the other hand, eat mostly grass/hay all their lives because a lifelong diet heavy in corn and soy would kill them very quickly.

Unfortunately, commercial dairy animals are fed a heavy grain mash while milking to maintain heavy milk production without losing weight, reason I only consume grassfed dairy. That's why grassfed dairy is more expensive... they produce less milk.
  #20   ^
Old Sat, Oct-19-19, 06:36

BF:

Dawn you said a mouthful in your post. Love it.

Bloating is not normal. Exactly. What people NOW treat with a pill from big pharma. Food is what gives symptoms and bloating, being overweight, low energy, joint pains and way way more are all symptoms of food intake. (never tho is it ALL the problem LOL as some obviously do have true med troubles) but SO much can be eliminated and true health found physically thru food intake.

I agree. No bloat and feeling leaner is a big plus on this lifestyle. Veg never treated me well either

Jaz toothpicks are needed here also LOL
yea I grabbed one from Ingles. Family ate Chinese from takeout....yuk....the smell. My chicken was good on the go! I felt great and walked a ton after dinner down the trails at this campground with the dog, no one came with me, they were slugged out. ugh.

Sage, great post.

question tho….ketosis was intolerable after summer? I don't know what this means can you expand on why? just curious.

Yea my bestie owns a dairy farm. They are fed whatever they need to be fed for total optimal milk production. That is why they are in that biz and that meat is what places like Hardees, McDonalds etc use for their fast food burgers. The spent dairy cattle.

One thing I do love ya'll is my taste back also

I can eat anything and find the sweet in it instantly.

Like water. Sweet water. Water tastes absolutely sweet to me when drinking. I like it.....so many say water has no taste. Water is yukky. But if your taste buds and body are clean, I tell ya water actually has a taste and is wonderful.

I do I drink a lot. I need it. Absolutely must have a lot of water all the time. Which I love. Body says ya need it ya drink it!

I also know instantly when I need to eat. My body just deflates and physically I feel I am heading toward exhaustion. I eat immediately and back up to full speed I go. Just as it should be in life
  #21   ^
Old Sat, Oct-19-19, 08:24

Plan: My own
Stats: 250/161.4/130 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whirrlly
question tho….ketosis was intolerable after summer? I don't know what this means can you expand on why? just curious.
Hi Karen!

By late August in north-central Michigan, the weather starts changing, temps start cooling and days become shorter and darker... SAD and depression arrived every September like a shutter dropping down. Plus I've always been hypothyroid most of my life, chilling very easily whenever temps drop below 75. I slept with a down quilt even in summer, lol.

For the twelve years up there, I had a small dairy farm, I did everything alone, feeding livestock, handmilking cows and goats, plus other farm chores, all made much more difficult in subzero weather, like shoveling snow, stacking firewood, etc. I often had take a hot bath to stop the deep-core shivering... and that was before ten years of low carb.

Ketosis, even just LC, made cold weather even more intolerable until I finally abandoned that farm and moved down here. Took five Florida years to melt that frozen core, raise my metabolism, and lose 110 lbs once and for all. Now I find myself increasingly warm at 75.

Carnivore, and fasting, is taking me the rest of the way down... aiming at 125!
  #22   ^
Old Sat, Oct-19-19, 11:02

Plan: KETOVORE
Stats: 234/179/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 70%

Sagehill- I loved loved your post! It makes ALL sense to me!!!!!!

This OHIO gal lost 100+ pounds and I thought that first winter after I would wither up and Die. I could not handle the cold anymore. I pack up everything in a u-haul and headed south and have not been back once in 10 years. I stopped in GA.

I however had a 50 pound weight gain back I am still struggling to get BACK off for the last time.
I started back again about 4 years ago, Paleo, then to Adkins, to Keto and am going more and more towards just simple pure meat. Grass fed, no dairy, no process- just pure meat, fish, and grass fed chicken and eggs.

I do also have coffee, and wine here and there- red and dry. Keeps me sane. Not ready to give either up. I will also splash a little juice dripping, or Mairinera Rao sauce on meatballs. No parm. Dairy has been such a struggle- and a killer on my gut.
I get down right sick with it. I love the taste of cheese though. But for right not my goal is getting

Weight off
Healthy back
Maintain

One day at a time.

Glad you all are here.
  #23   ^
Old Sun, Oct-20-19, 06:40

BF:

Sage, wow that was such an interesting post.

I know hard work. Farmer gal here also....but we did it in NC and everything was warmer by far in winter. But we had the ice times and cold weather livestock situations and more and they suck to the max. Nothing is easy in super cold weather, I so understand that. Your post was so fascinating on how weather effects you and more.

Very happy to hear you are finding a new path for yourself!! In warm Florida

Jaz cool story also.
You got a tough one with dairy nailing ya. Something you are gonna have to mostly pass up for sure.

So we hit a BBQ place last night.

Got fried shrimp LOL pulled off the breading and had beef brisket with it. Yum.

I said to hubby why in the world can't all restaurants offer a lb. of steamed shrimp? so simple but no....always fried. annoying as heck but one can work around it if needed.

for lunch in this little touristy town we are vacationing in right now....had the worst bacon cheeseburger......yuk, dry, nasty thin patty with uncooked bacon and darn near no melt on the cheese....the bun which I didn't touch was hard as a rock and not feeling fresh either LOL

I despise eating out so much on this way of life.
but it has to be done I guess at times...ugh

new day, new meat to eat
  #24   ^
Old Sun, Oct-20-19, 09:24
Registered Member

Plan: KetoCarnivore
Stats: 206.6/178/160 Female 5'7
BF:awesome
Progress: 61%

This morning, I went meat hunting.
I hit 3 stores beginning at 7:30am.
First one, I scored a Sirloin Cap, Italian sausage, and split chicken breasts with bones.
Second store, they use a store card, which I don’t have, so I turned around and left.
Third store, I got pork belly and 2 pkgs of veal breast.
After portioning everything out and wrapping in freezer paper, I got about 12-14 meals for $45. That was good hunting.

I do eat dairy, and tonight, I’m making chicken Alfredo...
i boned the breast, made a stock with bones and skin... truly delicious.
Makes me want to get a whole chicken and make me more broth.. so yummy.

I am budgeting because my income is real low, these days.... super low.
This is good because it encourages me not to buy vegetables, which I really don’t need.

Karen, skimming your journal, you’ve been Carnivore for several years, right?
Have you noticed any body changes?
When I first started, decades ago, I leaned down, but didn’t lose a lot of pounds.
I have never been real heavy, just flabby and roundish. Carnivore eating leaned me down and gave me a waistline.
I’ve been fasting off and on for several days because I started getting round in the waistline again, and my shorts weren’t buttoning.
Now, they are.... just took a some fasting, which I plan to continue.....
I just feel better when there’s no food in my belly.

Anyways, thought I’d discuss my shopping, today.... got my food stamp card filled and i always start with meat.... then work down to cream, coffee, eggs, sausages... but meat is priority.
  #25   ^
Old Sun, Oct-20-19, 10:09

BF:

PilotGal I love your meat hunting. I sure do the same thing. I hit the major sales on ribeye and more and I am big friends with the meat counter guys so they give me heads up on good deals or when they are marking something down so that helps a lot. All who ya know in the meat game HAHA

Yea I adopted zero carb for a long time now but life got me and I had carb creep......always was one WISHING SO HARD I could climb that darn Atkins carb ladder.

I realize truly and wholeheartedly I am not one able to do it.
What I wanted back wasn't a veggie, I wanted like slices of pizza back LOL so it never worked for me.

When I held zero carb a longer time I was 'so much leaner' and the lbs didn't drop fast but I literally dropped a size in clothes with no weight loss.

Carbs are fluffy to the body....you ditch them truly down to zero carb elimination and your true body takes shape. Absolutely I got great results.

I remember one summer sitting eating some sausage patties and thinking how damn wonderful I felt. Energy thru the roof. Down in clothes sizes which made me feel a lot better. No bloaty in the guts. Bathroom times were fab vs. the old way of eating...….and I realized it is where I do my best and feel my best......but I wasn't all there in that I still wanted carbs back. Still didn't want to know the truth of how bad they effected me. I still played games with 'diet plans' and 'add this and not that' and 'eat only when' and 'only these times' and 'eat this and that together' and yet nothing I did would help me.

Only at true Carnivore level do I do my best. I am there again and in full truth of it all. My mind is now strangely calm about it....not fighting it like before.

I think after these years I figured things out more for me LOL
But I have to be wary cause vacations and trips and more can get a hold on me while the family ohhhs and ahhhs over how good some darn food is I get friggin' jealous.

So I adopt the attitude of eat the best I can when I can and hold strong to Carnivore. That is one reason I like eating home. I don't get as jealous LOL hey it is hard to fight sometimes but now.....I got this calm of knowing where I need to be and what I think I am missing out on is truly only something that will make me bloat. Gain weight. Take my energy away. So I am flipped into true Carnivore and sticking to it like glue.

A bite here and there will happen but I will never have a meal....have a whole anything....just this one time. Nope. A bite is 1 bite. That is the line draw there when out on vacations and such. AND EVEN THEN I won't allow a lot of those ever. Passing it up is what is my life now and I am cool with it.

But the Carn. way of life offers tons of benefits. Some take a while to happen for a lot of us....correcting so many years of damage but to just feel so much better and get results are a good combo to keep me Carn.

I notice my roundish, flabby leaves pretty quick. I know what you mean. I tend to get that kinda flabby full feeling from sodium bloat. I am a salt lover to the max but when my vibe turns more seafood I don't salt it like I do meat and I flab down even more

Lucky you don't have real lbs to lose....well don't get me wrong, we all need to health out our bodies but sadly I need to lose about 30 to be happy now and Carn. puts me right on that track. Scale right now is dropping nicely so I am cool with that.

But yea....body changes absolutely happen without the scale moving and eating so well. Natural non-eating times come into play for me. I hate calling it fasting but it is but I do all my non eating times as my body requests. I can go very long without eating...but then when I gotta eat, boy do I gotta eat LOL

I love talking Carn. talk
  #26   ^
Old Mon, Oct-21-19, 06:09

BF:

just a food update for yesterday

2 sausage patties

1 tiny tiny bite of 'the great German pretzel' at Helen GA on vacation.
nothing to write home about ….kid shoving bread pudding, apple struedel and more into my face....kept saying NO NO but being a kid she thinks I should try everything and then she says....hey 1 bite rule for me to try new food, same goes for you and I said.....I tried that junk long ago! Ain't new to me LOL

2 beers for Octoberfest party......they almost took me down also. not a beer drinker any more so these tasted HO HUM but kicked my butt a bit. LOL

finally late got a fab NY Strip Steak and grilled jumbo shrimp at restaurant. Ditched the taters of course

I did OK yesterday, not optimal obviously with the beer....1 tiny bite of pretzel to me I don't even count.....great surf/turf dinner.....and good thing too cause I was starving at that point LOL

home today, trip over

can not wait to get back to my kitchen and my own meat
  #27   ^
Old Tue, Oct-22-19, 05:28

BF:

yesterday was all Carnivore. no bites of anything so in good form again. I even hate taking one bite but sometimes I do it for the kid...ugh. Won't eat it for my hubby when he pushes a bite on me, but I will for my daughter LOL

oh well.

woke up today not hungry one bit.

I love this way of life. Not hungry is one of the most monster key benefits of being in deep ketosis.....keto adapted body.....one of the best feelings known to mankind everyone needs to be here!

so tuna and mayo later when I get a bit hungry and tonight I got a nice NY Strip Steak and jumbo shrimp in garlic butter for dinner.

I need a good big dinner to make up for eating more sparse on vacation. Old nasty burgers and playing with take out fast food just isn't satisfying to me in any way so a big meal tonight from my own hands will keep me happy and fed well.

Carnivore all the way baby
  #28   ^
Old Tue, Oct-22-19, 09:01

Plan: general lc
Stats: 214/146/130 Female 5'4"
BF:

Can someone tell me how to cook short ribs? I don't think I've ever even eaten them. I'm thinking of buying a quarter or half cow but they all seem to come with short ribs.
  #29   ^
Old Tue, Oct-22-19, 09:09
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tess9132
Can someone tell me how to cook short ribs? I don't think I've ever even eaten them. I'm thinking of buying a quarter or half cow but they all seem to come with short ribs.

When I google “Keto short rib recipe,” I got this amongst several others.
Keto short ribs
I can’t use my oven in FL, most of the year, it heats the condo up too much so I tend to do a lot of my foods in my iron skillet, on top of the stove.
In Winter, I will do all kinds of roasts and briskets in the oven..
Short ribs I’ve done in the iron skillet... just like the recipe above, only on top of the stove.
So, dependent on where you like to cook, above or below...
Short ribs are wonderful, fatty, and very tasty....

**** edited to add, short ribs are tender.. they are part of the prim rib roast.
So they are always tender. You do not have to cook them all day long.
In a hot skillet, turning once... seasoning.. they are absolutely delicious and I like them MR.

Last edited by PilotGal : Tue, Oct-22-19 at 09:15.
  #30   ^
Old Tue, Oct-22-19, 09:13
Registered Member

Carnivore...
Yesterday, I drowned my stress in 3 bottles of beer and veal breast.
If you like the taste of fat, lamb breast and veal breast are wonderful..
Very tasty and delicious, not to mention nutritious.

I made a 2 bone veal breast ($3), yesterday.
Right in my iron skillet, in a little palm oil and seasonings..
Covered it and cooked until the fat was crisp, and the meat was MR.
Out of this world.

I’m thawing out ground beef.
Can’t decide, burgers or ground beef and riced cauliflower mix..
It’ll be something simple, spiced and tasty....

I had 3 Italian sausage links before 6am, this morning....
I woke up at 3am, hungry as can be.
Going to have another meal, later.
I have to run out and do a job this afternoon, that could dictate what I cook for dinner, dependent on how motivated i am.

I LOVE riced cauliflower, btw... i get it frozen from Aldi’s..
I use it frequently with ground meat....
Reminds me of the casseroles my dad used to make us, when I was young.
Mushrooms, onions, garlic, spices, meat... delicious.

Was at the doctors yesterday..... got weighed. I have gained 10 lbs since moving to FL, a year ago.
Need to lose it.... best way - fasting and Carnivore.
And i have implemented more fasting into my life.
I enjoy a good 3 day fast.. makes me feel fabu.

Carry on.