Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Sep-12-08, 06:41
For Real This Time

Plan: SB (Sorta Beachy)
Stats: 272/260/165 Female 68 inches (5'8")
BF:
Progress: 11%
Default Diet soda/artificial sweetener question?

Just wondering what everyone thinks about using artificial sweeteners on a low-carb diet.

I've been addicted to diet cola for years. Tried many times over the years to quit drinking it, because of all the bad things I've read about artificial sweeteners. I just quit again, about a week before I started the South Beach diet.

I have definitely noticed that when I don't drink it, I don't feel like myself. (Can't concentrate, get headaches, etc) This is what usually makes me start drinking it again. However, on a positive note, when I don't drink it, I feel like my carb cravings decrease quite a bit. I guess the artificial sweetener is messing with me, and making me crave the real thing. (I've read that somewhere, don't remember where)

Does anyone else have these issues with artificial sweeteners? Do you use them on your LC plan, or avoid them? I pretty much only use 2 products in my everyday life with artificial sweetener - soft drinks (diet cola or iced tea), and lite yogurt. Haven't had the diet cola at all since I started LCing, and have had a little of the iced tea and 1 artificially sweetened yogurt. South Beach seems to allow them in moderation, but I wonder if I'm better off avoiding them as much as possible?

I do like unsweetened iced tea with lemon, so I'm trying to make that as much as possible, but the sweetened mixes are more convenient, so I've still been drinking some of that too.

Oh yeah, I forgot - I also use a packet of sweetener if I drink hot tea (a couple of times a week right now, but when winter comes I ditch the iced tea and drink a lot more hot tea)

Thanks in advance for any advice you may have on the subject.

Last edited by donnaliz67 : Fri, Sep-12-08 at 06:48.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Sep-12-08, 08:40
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnaliz
I do like unsweetened iced tea with lemon, so I'm trying to make that as much as possible, but the sweetened mixes are more convenient, so I've still been drinking some of that too.

Oh yeah, I forgot - I also use a packet of sweetener if I drink hot tea (a couple of times a week right now, but when winter comes I ditch the iced tea and drink a lot more hot tea)

Uhoh ....I'm sorry to be the one to tell you this...but you will need to let go of sweeteners...and use Splenda for your tea. or did you mean an AF? They are fine if thats what you meant!!

I use Splenda in my coffee and over time, have weaned myself off all diet sodas. It did not happen overnight but it did happen. I now enjoy the lemon or lime flavored seltzers.

But the sugar? That has got to go!! Seriously!!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Sep-12-08, 08:49
For Real This Time

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judynyc
Uhoh ....I'm sorry to be the one to tell you this...but you will need to let go of sweeteners...and use Splenda for your tea. or did you mean an AF? They are fine if thats what you meant!!

I use Splenda in my coffee and over time, have weaned myself off all diet sodas. It did not happen overnight but it did happen. I now enjoy the lemon or lime flavored seltzers.

But the sugar? That has got to go!! Seriously!!

When I said sweetener in my hot tea, I meant artificial. (Sweet N Low or Splenda) Is that what "AF" means? And iced tea mix with Splenda.

I've just been hearing that even the artificial stuff can have some of the same effects as real sugar, as far as causing cravings, etc. That's what my question was about.

Haven't used the sugar at all since I started South Beach. I do understand that much!! LOL
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Sep-12-08, 08:51
Attitude is a Choice

Ahhh...good!!

yes, AF= artificial sweetener.

sweet and low is good....I like splenda better as S&L is way too sweet to my taste buds now.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Sep-12-08, 08:58
For Real This Time

BF:

Quote:
Ahhh...good!!

yes, AF= artificial sweetener.

sweet and low is good....I like splenda better as S&L is way too sweet to my taste buds now.

And you don't have any problems with the artificial sweeteners causing carb cravings? I always did before - when my diet had a lot more carbs in it. Now that I'm on SB, I'm not having the cravings so much, but I don't know if it's because of the change in diet, or because I also gave up diet soda at the same time.

I'm afraid that if I go back to drinking diet soda once in a while, it's going to mess me up. (I have a party coming up next weekend, and I know I'll be tempted to have a diet coke or two - that's why I'm so concerned about it right now)
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Sep-12-08, 09:36
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnaliz67
And you don't have any problems with the artificial sweeteners causing carb cravings? I always did before - when my diet had a lot more carbs in it. Now that I'm on SB, I'm not having the cravings so much, but I don't know if it's because of the change in diet, or because I also gave up diet soda at the same time.

I'm afraid that if I go back to drinking diet soda once in a while, it's going to mess me up. (I have a party coming up next weekend, and I know I'll be tempted to have a diet coke or two - that's why I'm so concerned about it right now)

Oops! I meant AS= artificial sweetner! not AF!!

No, I don't have carb cravings from using AS.

IMO, my carb cravings were more a thing in my head that I learned to manage by not allowing my mind to dwell in foods that I no longer eat. I force myself to think about all the foods I can eat!!

Once in a while when I'm out and about...and looking for a snack, ,I'll pick up a bottle of diet pepsi...its OK for me once in a while. Im a pepsi girl!
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Sep-12-08, 10:06
Just keep swimming

Plan: General Low Carb/IF
Stats: 226/186.6/160 Female 5' 8"
BF:34/29/24
Progress: 60%

I drink my iced tea with Sweet-N-Low. I used to be a major Diet Coke addict and have cut waaaaay back on my Diet Coke because I always have cravings/feel hungry when I have a Diet Coke - I've especially noticed that since I cut way back. I've never had that problem with the tea with Sweet-N-Low. I guess it's the aspartame, at least for me. I've just tried to cut down on the sweeteners in general, but like I said, I don't seem to have a problem with Sweet-N-Low.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Sep-12-08, 10:09

Plan: I eat all of the eggs. :)
Stats: 600/400/160 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 45%

Quote:
Just wondering what everyone thinks about using artificial sweeteners on a low-carb diet.

Personally I prefer NOT to use any chemicals in my diet.
I got addicted to diet sodas, after hooking up with a male lowcarber who is also addicted to diet sodas. Since he and I broke up, I have successfully broken the diet soda habit a few months back. I have no desire to ever drink them again or to use any artificial sweeteners in anything I eat.
I certainly feel 100% better and my carb cravings are all gone. I had them daily when drinking diet sodas.
I also got my youngest son off diet sodas, as well as all artificial sweeteners, and the migraines he was getting while drinking them are all gone now.
I refuse to spend money on any of that poison.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Sep-12-08, 10:51

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 260.4/237.2/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 19%

Are you sure it's not the caffeine you're addicted to?
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Sep-12-08, 12:24
For Real This Time

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomtoGBand
Are you sure it's not the caffeine you're addicted to?

Oh, absolutely it's the caffeine I'm addicted to. I'm not quitting the diet soda because of the caffeine (although I am cutting that down somewhat now that I'm on SB). I'm quitting it because of the artificial sweeteners, because I've heard so many things about them being bad for you, and they seem to cause me to crave carbs more than usual. I'm trying to get my caffeine from tea instead (mostly unsweetened), and limit it to about 2 cups a day. Quite a dramatic decrease in caffeine for me. (I used to drink a LOT of diet coke)
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Sep-12-08, 13:10
Never Give Up!

Plan: It's anybody's guess!
Stats: 350/250/160 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 53%

Donna, I have to severely limit my use of artificial sweeteners. Foods sweetened with AS make me crave more sweet stuff.

The symptoms you describe (headachy, unable to concentrate, etc.) are very typical of withdrawal from caffeine, though. If you're cutting back on your caffeine intake, that might be what is making you feel that way.

There are soft drinks sweetened with Stevia on the market now. I've forgotten the brand name, but you could search through the Kitchen Talk and Low Carb Products forums. I know one or the other of those was where I first heard about them.

I also read a news article that said Pepsi and/or Coco-Cola were petitioning the FDA to permit them to use Stevia to sweeten their products.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Sep-12-08, 13:17
For Real This Time

BF:

I'm kind of glad to hear that a couple of you experience the same thing that I do.

I'm going to continue staying away from the Diet Coke as much as possible. I think I'll be better off that way.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Sep-12-08, 13:56
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Oh, absolutely it's the caffeine I'm addicted to. I'm not quitting the diet soda because of the caffeine (although I am cutting that down somewhat now that I'm on SB). I'm quitting it because of the artificial sweeteners, because I've heard so many things about them being bad for you, and they seem to cause me to crave carbs more than usual. I'm trying to get my caffeine from tea instead (mostly unsweetened), and limit it to about 2 cups a day. Quite a dramatic decrease in caffeine for me. (I used to drink a LOT of diet coke)

I love my 1 very large mug of strong coffee each morning!! I can't even begin or think or read without it.
You don't enjoy coffee? We are allowed to have caffeine in moderation.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Sep-12-08, 14:11
For Real This Time

BF:

Quote:
I love my 1 very large mug of strong coffee each morning!! I can't even begin or think or read without it.
You don't enjoy coffee? We are allowed to have caffeine in moderation.

Nope. Never really developed a taste for it. (But I like coffee-flavored things, and chocolate-covered espresso beans - go figure??)

I usually get my caffeine from diet cola, chocolate, and various forms of tea. I am VERY addicted to the caffeine - the only reason I'm attempting to quit the diet soda is because of the AS in it. And I was drinking it in very large quantities - like I could easily drink a 2-liter a day at home, and a couple of cans in the car while running errands and playing "Mom's Taxi Service".

But now that I'm on the Beach, I've cut out the diet coke and chocolate, and cut way down on the tea. I'm drinking mostly water and those flavored seltzers you mentioned, and some tea, hot or iced, unsweetened or with AS.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Sep-12-08, 14:37
What a good girl!!!

Plan: my own
Stats: 195.8/165.0/138 Female 62.5 inches
BF:Getting Rid of IT!
Progress: 53%

Donnaliz,
My husband and i are on this again. We didn't give up the diet coke and caffeine and other stuff the first time around. This time we gave it all up. It's been 50 days without diet coke or caffeine. At first it sucked. To be honest it did. More for him than me because I already cut down and didn't drink it as much. Hey I figured I gave up alcohol and ciggs so I could do this. It was hard but I have had SA in the form of fake chocolate and that makes me want the real stuff for the next day or so. i can see the diet coke did it the last time. I always wanted something carby. Not as much this time. After awhile, your body forgets the WANT for that stuff and you don't even think about it. The first few weeks are hard but after that, smooth sailing. I have not read south beach so I don't know much about that one low carb diet. I do Atkins, 1998 edition. I'm sure they are about the same except for the ketosis. Some people are lucky and they drink diet coke all the time and have no cravings or problems. I am just not one of the lucky ones. i lost weight on this diet and it was easier than other diets but i worked hard for each ounce I lost. Good luck to you.

lisa