Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#271   ^
Old Tue, Jul-20-21, 12:28

Plan: DDF, P:E
Stats: 237.5/179.4/150 Female 64
BF:55.7%/47.5%/?
Progress: 66%

As of this morning, I'm now down 2 #s since Saturday. I've decided to stick with my morning routine, a very healthy green smoothie with kale, mixed greens and spinach, then some protein powder. Then a bit of the nutritional yeast and some collagen for my skin issues. It rarely affects my BG so I can be sure to have that second meal for the remaining protein I need.

If I change up my first meal I usually screw up the time of the second or suffer/stress needlessly. My evenings are either cooked veggies or a nice salad mix with a protein of stir fry chicken I cook in the air fryer or salmon, etc...I drink water and tea through out the day.

I think for me, this is sustainable for the weight loss portion and then will have to reevaluate when I hit maintenance. Maybe eat more beef or something. Beef does seem to halt the loss for me.

I may sign up for the next NO and decide to participate or not. It was too much for me in May. However, I am now logging and even paid for the upgrade in Chronometer so I did establish a new habit.

Anyone else in the Jul DDF?
Sponsored Links
  #272   ^
Old Tue, Jul-20-21, 12:40

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

I am doing July DDF Iceberg. I think I'm gonna really concentrate on cutting out the fat in the ground beef I get or eat less of it and more fish/chicken - it's surprising even with 85% beef how much extra fat energy there is in there. Looking to learn more and have fun after some initial feasting now.
  #273   ^
Old Tue, Jul-20-21, 13:47

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Yes, hamburger has a surprising amount of fat.
  #274   ^
Old Tue, Jul-20-21, 16:54

After I started logging food in Chronometer, I also checked the meals in the P:E calculator. I think that is helping me succeed as well.

Anyone else concerned or check the P:E ratio?

https://ptoer.com/

d
  #275   ^
Old Wed, Jul-21-21, 02:41

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Yes, I am a moderator in this DDF and I use the P:E calculator, though after two NO Masterclass I know fish and chicken are high enough to then mix with other foods with more energy. After years of being very low carb and only having limited amounts of high fat dairy, I have loved adding back LF yogurt and cottage cheese, mixed with collagen, whey protein and frozen mixed berries. I check those "bowl combos" to be sure not too far off the PE gauge. Many practical tips, which foods to eat or not, on this new Ted Naiman interview with Bett Lucas. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gP2xKjbA4PA

Ps: yesterday on Twitter Ted Naiman gave a thumbs up to a Fairlife Protein Shake (try Target) I’ve been using the Trader Joe's brand of Ultra-Filtered milk, need to forage for some new foods

Pps: Hit a new low this morning, .4 below previous low weight the 45min to 1 hour cardio in the water 6 days a week is probably helping too, at least tightening some of the flab from almost a year without strength machine exercise.

Iceberg, are you using the "Hulk" green smoothie from the NO Masterclass?
The other "protein dessert" I like is the PSMF Flan in the free sample recipe books shared in class (both are from the KetoGains guys). https://optimisingnutrition.com/ket...lan/#more-16451

Last edited by JEY100 : Wed, Jul-21-21 at 05:03.
  #276   ^
Old Wed, Jul-21-21, 12:04

Janet,

I don't know what the HULK green smoothie is. I didn't get far in the NO MC so I didn't seek out recipes, etc...thru there. This is one I came up with on my own like before even Keto... lol.

What is in the Hulk? Can you share?

Another new low on the scale today...3.2 lbs down now...amazing.

d
  #277   ^
Old Wed, Jul-21-21, 12:12

Janet,

is this the recipe?

Ingredients

SERVES 1

100 g (3.5oz) spinach (fresh)
40 g (1.4 oz) cucumber
30 g (1 oz) protein powder
240 mL almond milk (unsweetened)
Stevia or your preferred sweetener (to taste)

Directions

Place ingredients in a blender and blend on high until smooth.
Add extra almond milk and/or water until you get desired consistency.
Add cinnamon or matcha powder (optional).

I found it here - https://optimisingnutrition.com/hulk-green-smoothie/

If so, I think I'll stay with mine. I don't care for milk/almond milk and always worry about so much spinach everyday so I have different greens, like kale, spring mix, collards, spinach, etc...then I have a protein powder I like, add the collagen and some unfortified nutritional yeast, water and ice.

In the old days I also added avocado but now I have so much fat to lose I don't look to eat fat.

I'd like to find something more nutritious then water. Coconut water has sugar I think, unless I drain a coconut and I've not found any in my area.

ps - i love cucumber with lemon and water in the summer...very refreshing. Not sure of the benefits in a smoothie and will check that out. Maybe it would supply some nutrients I'm missing.

d
  #278   ^
Old Wed, Jul-21-21, 12:36

Yup, that's the base. The cucumber has decent nutrients for almost no calories, bu everyone was tweaking it their own way. Steve wrote..."Tweaking the Hulk Green Smoothie this morning - added 1 tsp ground eggshell, 15g arugula and 35g watercress oh and 5g fresh basil.
I think that scored 82% then I ate 1 tsp yeast extract spread and 4 brazil nuts to give me a decent start to the day - I managed to get up into the 90's yesterday and I have a 'modified' Popeye Bowl planned later so am confident I'll score well enough today also.

Have you tried Fairlife Fat-Free milk? Ted Naiman and Bob in the NO class use that. I use the TJ's 2% ultra-filtered milk version but now I want to go out in search of their protein drink and 0%.

I could not do ground eggshells!!
  #279   ^
Old Wed, Jul-21-21, 13:08

No eggshells for me either! I am lactose intolerant so I don't do milk. Not sure what Fairlife brand is but will google it.

I use 60 grams of greens in my smoothie, 1/2 T of the nutritional yeast and a rounded scoop of the collagen. The collagen also helps my allergies and why I won't give it up. I make my own blend of protein powder mix. End up with about 40 grams of the powder.

I try to get more than half my daily protein in the first meal as often I don't care to eat much for dinner. In week 3 of the last DDF I found it very hard to get at or below my trigger. So by consuming more earlier, I'm hoping as the trigger drops I can still eat twice a day.

I make my own blend of protein powder mix. It makes it more palatable. I end up with 40 to 50 grams of the protein powder.

If I consume the smoothie around 10ish then I'm good by 4 to 5pm to eat another meal. We'll see if that works after the trigger goes below 90 this time.

I'll have to listen to that youtube with Dr Ted.
  #280   ^
Old Wed, Jul-21-21, 13:41

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Yup, that's the base. The cucumber has decent nutrients for almost no calories, bu everyone was tweaking it their own way. Steve wrote..."Tweaking the Hulk Green Smoothie this morning - added 1 tsp ground eggshell, 15g arugula and 35g watercress oh and 5g fresh basil.
I think that scored 82% then I ate 1 tsp yeast extract spread and 4 brazil nuts to give me a decent start to the day - I managed to get up into the 90's yesterday and I have a 'modified' Popeye Bowl planned later so am confident I'll score well enough today also.

Have you tried Fairlife Fat-Free milk? Ted Naiman and Bob in the NO class use that. I use the TJ's 2% ultra-filtered milk version but now I want to go out in search of their protein drink and 0%.

I could not do ground eggshells!!

Hi Janet - I have a question about recommended protein powder. What is recommended for smoothies and to mix with other soft foods (yogurt, cottage cheese) to add more protein? Is it a whey powder or something else? If so, which brand are people finding suitable?

By the way, the Naiman interview with Bett Lucas was chalk full of good information. Good stuff.
  #281   ^
Old Wed, Jul-21-21, 14:47

Rob,

I'm not Janet, but I like Jay Robb Egg white protein powder and I've used the Dymatize Elite 100% Whey Protein Powder, 25g Protein per scoop, 5.5g BCAAs & 2.7g L-Leucine, Quick Absorbing & Fast Digesting for Optimal Muscle Recovery.

And I like a few of the Quest Protein powders, especially the caramel and salt one. I also use their unflavored.

Waiting to hear what other's use.

d
  #282   ^
Old Wed, Jul-21-21, 15:01

FairLife was the first major brand of Ultra-Filtered Milk, that filters out all the lactose so it is almost sugar-free and low carb too. It comes in the usual array of fat %, a creamer, yogurts and now a protein drink. Popular, so Trader Joe's now has their own branded version, and other brands are doing the same.

Rob, any protein powder you like is OK. Whey is more popular if focus is on protein than any plant versions, but they all mix in well. The amino acids are supposedly more complete, but I have not ventured into "branched chain" etc. differences.
Ted recommended CelluCor in his video on "processed food". https://youtu.be/zCgDBd8FgvY

I still use some IsoPure which is very low carb and comes in smaller bags than the "Bro-sized tubs" and it has a banana flavor.
Liked that when I thought I would never be able to eat a banana again. Optimum Nutrition is convenient because it is in Costco and Target in chocolate or vanilla. I think Target and Amazon have the smaller bags of it so you can try different brands and flavors to find one you like.

Bett's video was very practical..she has been doing DDF with us, so she sees the questions that come up from members who are trying to up protein, move it forward in the day, and follow Ted's recommendations. Same when she interviewed Marty, she had already started a DDF program and asked the questions many had.
  #283   ^
Old Wed, Jul-21-21, 19:23

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Thanks, Iceberg and Janet. I have Isopure Zero Carb Unflavored and used it in the past and liked it to a point, but . . . . I have to be careful to mix it with something that either has a lot of fiber and/or not overdo the amount. I'm wondering if this experience is typical . . . .

Last edited by GRB5111 : Wed, Jul-21-21 at 20:53.
  #284   ^
Old Thu, Jul-22-21, 05:26

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Aldi brand is good stuff. I like the chocolate best, but it also comes in strawberry and vanilla. All whey, and no weird sweeteners.

Buying at the store is the best price. My favorite method is mixing it into Greek yogurt, then adding frozen berries.

Another tactic is to use the flavored collagen drinks in yogurt.
  #285   ^
Old Thu, Jul-22-21, 12:16

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

I have a friend from France who always brings cucumbers for snacks on hikes. Very refreshing and hydrating.