Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Aug-04-06, 23:21
~ JUST DO IT!!! ~

Plan: 5% Carbs/75% Fat/20% Prot
Stats: 191/175/150 Female 5'2"
BF:Getting lower
Progress: 39%
Default Expired vitamins?

I help run a food bank & brought home Centrum Carb Assist multivitamin / multimineral supplements that nobody wanted. I actually have a whole case Anyhow the expiration date is 4/06 and I don't know if it will be effective for me to take them. I take quite a few supplements other than these but thought I could use these in place of my daily multivitamin. I hate to throw them out they are so expensive. I probably have enough to last me at least 8 months. I suppose I could take them now but what happens as time passes even further past the expiration. Hmmm not sure what to do.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Aug-05-06, 06:26

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 500/100/101 Male 70 inches
BF:6%
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Taking expired vitamins isn't harmful, but expired vitamins aren't likely to do you much good. Once they expire, the vitamins may have already decomposed to the point where they're not very potent. The expiration date guarantees that the vitamins will include the listed ingredients up until the date on the label. Sure, some of the vitamins or other nutrients can be potent afterward, but the company doesn't guarantee that. To be on the safe side, throw them away and by a new bottle.

Oregon State University

Hope that helps
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Aug-05-06, 07:44

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default How were they stored?

Expiration dates are mostly an urban myth. Coca-Cola expires?? Really? For vitamins, it all depends on storage--if the products were kept under even temperatures and dry, they'll likely be fine for a while. If not--if they were allowed to get hot--then you're at more risk of having a product that's not going to do you any good.

1. Most dates are no more than a year from manufacture. They don't test; they simply slap a date on the product so that they have a limit to liability and ownership.

2. The US Army actually tested real drugs--important stuff--for viability and discovered most products lasted LONG past the expiration date. Saved the US Taxpayer a lot of money in not having to discard drugs.

3. What do they smell like when you open a bottle? They won't be bad, per se. If it's very yeasty, the Bs are probably gone. They are the most fragile, in my experience. And there's never enough C in a multi- to matter for me, so I take that by the additional handful anyway.

The biggest concern from a food bank is how was the case stored? Do you know where it came from? The store can't legally sell the stuff past the date, is the biggest problem.

Another guideline you might want to look at: Go into a store and see how far out the expiration dates are on the products they have in the store today. That will tell you how old the stuff really is; when it left the manufacturing plant.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Aug-05-06, 10:33
~ JUST DO IT!!! ~

Thank you both for the info. The expiration date passed 4 months ago so maybe I'll continue taking them for a year past the expiration & then throw them out. They don't smell any different then new ones and I know how they were stored. We purchase all of our food from a place called Food Bank of the Rockies. It's a huge warehouse where food & supplies are gathered from grocery stores & food drives. The vitamins were donated by a major food chain because of the expiration date. It's cool in the warehouse never too cold or too warm. Once we buy what we want we take it to our church where it's stored in our pantry. The temperature in the pantry is comfortable. Again, thanks for the info.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Aug-29-06, 13:31

Plan: South Beach Diet
Stats: 182/131/125 Female 65 inches
BF:30
Progress: 89%
Default expiration dates

I am a nurse and I have taken a lot of classes in pharmacology. Anyway, expiration dates are just that. This is the date that you are to use by to get maximum benefit. As the date goes past the expiration date, the drug degrades. This causes less of the active drug to be available. If you take an asprin that is past the date, then you are getting less of the affects you would get if you took one with a valid date. Basically, the vitamins can possibly be weaker. The further way from the date, the more weaker they can be. Notice I stated "can possibly be".... there is no way to say for sure.

Professionally, I will state that you should never take them past the expiration date. However, personally, I know a lot of people that will increase the amount such as taking two vitamin pills a day if you are taking old pills. It is your choice.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Aug-29-06, 14:41
~ JUST DO IT!!! ~

Thanks Slimergrl,
I knew that it wouldn't be harmful to take them but I was wondering about the effectiveness of them.

I like the idea of taking two, I never thought of that. I do understand that you're not recommending it but I am going to try it.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Aug-30-06, 06:44

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Downside to doubling

The trouble with doubling is that you don't know which components "went bad," if any. It's unlikely that all parts of the vitamin pill age at the same time. C and B degrade fairly easily; I've always doubted that the minerals really do.

If you get into this, Dr A's Vitanutrient Solution is a good place to start. Won't help at all with the expiration date problem, but it is useful for understanding a whole lot more about supplementation than you can get from the back of the box.

And a point--the expiration date on prescription meds will vary. Once the meds are dispensed, it's almost always one year from the date of dispensing, on the individual container. Seriously doubt that is the same date as what's on the bottle kept by the pharmacy.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Aug-30-06, 11:16
~ JUST DO IT!!! ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs_carver
The trouble with doubling is that you don't know which components "went bad," if any. It's unlikely that all parts of the vitamin pill age at the same time. C and B degrade fairly easily; I've always doubted that the minerals really do.

Very true, I thought about it and I will continue to take one a day. I take plenty of other supplements along w/ C & B's.
Now I can't wait to finish the bottles I have. I'm giving some away so we can use them up quickly.
Thanks for the feedback
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Sep-25-06, 06:44

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 299/268/220 Male 6ft
BF:

Personally-I would take them and thank God for the supply-If the exp. date was older then what you have I would hesitate but with the price of vit being as it is...
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Sep-25-06, 08:09
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I'll ditto what CS_carver said, I've also heard they're usually just a date that means not a whole lot. However, you gotta becareful of asprin because it can become toxic when it is too old. If it smells like vinegar, throw it out!