Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-23-10, 10:35
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 148/142.6/130 Female 5 feet 8 inches
BF:
Progress: 30%
Default Dr Oz! A rant.

I get home from work at 5pm. While I cook, I turn on my TV for background noise. Dr. Oz's show is ALWAYS on!! I don't have cable, so I have like 3 channels. His show is on one of them constantly...this man gives THE WORST diet advice ever. It scares me that Americans see him as a "credible" expert. I think if people follow his advice, we need to be prepared for the obesity epidemic to get worse before it gets better. For example:

He had a "diet intervention" show on the other day where they had firemen come in who all had 50-150 lbs to lose. The firemen were used to eating a meat-heavy but also carb laden diet (meat lasagna, burgers and fries, pizza, etc). Dr Oz's nutritionist guest put the men on a meat-free, dairy-free, fat-free, gluten-free diet. The only thing they were allowed to eat was vegetables, fruit, and soy-based meat substitutes. Then they made a vegan-soy lasagna and gave it to the firemen for a taste test...you could totally tell the guys HATED the way it tasted and only pretended it was good because they were on TV. For breakfast, they were advocating fruit/soy smoothies. Yeah, that'll fill up a bunch of burly men. For lunch, they were supposed to eat veggie stir-fry (fat free, cooked in PAM) and rice.

Let's forget the fact that high carb, low-fat, fruit-based diets do almost nothing for weight loss, but how is that supposed to be sustainable? I would think they would be sooo hungry, that they would want to drive to the nearest McDonald's, and pig out. Plus, the more I read about soy, the more I realize how bad it is in large quantities. Of course, everyone thinks Dr. Oz is sooo wise. I once saw a picture of him with his kids and wife, and truth be told, they were all a bit chubby. Also, I think if I ate 10 servings of fruit/veg each day, I would have the runs like crazy...

Rant Over. I am going to eat some Chicken Chipotle Cheddar meatballs dipped in ranch. Yummy yummy fat!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Mar-23-10, 10:40
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Yeah, he's a nutter. I guess one good thing is at least he's probably too busy being a celebrity to actually have a practice.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Mar-23-10, 12:25

Stats: 050/029/000 Female 5ft, 8 1/2 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

The one I liked even better was when he put a mother/daughter duo on a diet. He had them back in a few weeks and they both had lost a few pounds, but their BMI hadn't changed. He said he was really concerned because that meant they were losing muscle. So his advice? EAT MORE VEGGIES!

He had them on his vegetarian diet. I guess no one ever told him that protein helps retain muscle.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Mar-23-10, 12:32

Plan: Zero Carbs since 01/09
Stats: 220/134.8/135 Female 63inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Dr Oz's wife is a vegetarian. He gets all of his nutritional advice from her.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Mar-23-10, 16:35

Stats: 289.0/280.2/250 Female 6ft
BF:
Progress: 23%

Yes, his diet advice is weak. We saw the firemen and both my DH and I cracked up laughing! I just dont see that as a sustainable long term way of eating. If they werent vegetarians before, why convert them?

Also his Ask Dr Oz segment is silly - he really never gives people answers - "yes, I see you have a mole. yes its brown. Thanks for the question."
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Mar-23-10, 18:58

Plan: General LC
Stats: 232/157.4/145 Female 5'6.5
BF:...getting lower
Progress: 86%

Quote:
Chicken Chipotle Cheddar meatballs

Recipe, please

I'm w/ the others in saying how would that way of eating be sustainable? Soy lasagna - yuk!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Mar-23-10, 19:16
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

I hope nobody's life depends on one of those firemen feeling strong and ...
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Mar-23-10, 19:21

Plan: loosely PB
Stats: 197/135/000 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 31%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atrsy
He had them back in a few weeks and they both had lost a few pounds, but their BMI hadn't changed.

Hmm, by definition, that's not possible. BMI is defined by height and weight and nothing else. I guess it's possible if they lost weight but also lost height. Or I guess it could have been a small change that didn't show up in a rounded off number.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Mar-24-10, 08:14
Registered Member

Stats: 148/142.6/130 Female 5 feet 8 inches
BF:
Progress: 30%

Hi!

The chicken cheddar chipotle meatballs are actually from the frozen section at Whole Foods! They're really good. No preservatives, fillers, or hormones! The only gripe I have in that they're expensive, so I will need to develop my own recipe...I'll keep ya posted.

I also saw the mother/daughter episode. They only lost like 8 pounds in 6 months or something and they were eating less than 1000 calories. Depressing.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Mar-24-10, 08:51

Plan: paleoish
Stats: 130/104/105 Female 5'1"
BF:-
Progress: 104%

This is why my subscription to Oprah magazine ends this year. She created freaks like him. Whenever Dr Oz comes on TV, my husband and I can't change the channel fast enough. If we need a laugh though, we will watch him for a few minutes.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Mar-24-10, 08:53

Plan: General LC
Stats: 00/000/000 Female 5'6"
BF:

I always thought he was a quack before, but when he was on Oprah (eyeroll already) last year with Montel and tried to be an expert on MS....which I have....oh no, nothing he said was even remotely true. In fact, he really represented the disease as something it totally is not. Definitely over that guy. He's like one of the soap opera doctors....they can deliver a baby, perform brain surgery and put a cast on a leg all in the same day.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Mar-24-10, 09:06

Plan: Less meat, more veg LC
Stats: 252/217/180 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 49%

The thing that kills me is when he was on Larry King he admitted he eats a LC diet (although probably a more vegetarian version I would suspect than we do).

I sometimes agree with him on other issues, but his diet advice is universally bad.

F
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Mar-24-10, 09:38

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Dr Oz gives me the creeps - I cannot stand seeing his sky-high eyebrows or listening to his BS. What normal doctor wears scrubs outside the OR (most scrubs have "Property of Hospital X" stamped in them), and why does he seem to wear women's sizes with short short sleeves? They always make the point that he still has an active practice, but I sure wouldn't want to be one of his cardiac patients while he is jetting about to appear on shows on every channel, on both coasts and in Chicago.

Last edited by deirdra : Wed, Mar-24-10 at 09:44.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Mar-24-10, 10:11

Plan: Zero Carbs since 01/09
Stats: 220/134.8/135 Female 63inches
BF:

Quote:
and why does he seem to wear women's sizes with short short sleeves?

with a tan line from hell... I cannot take my eyes off of that farmer's tan LOL
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Mar-24-10, 12:16
Independent Thinker

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 198/186/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

He's just a celebrity entertainer that happens to have an MD after his name.

When will people understand that TV is for entertainment and not for knowledge?