Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Dec-27-06, 08:19

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 154/124/120 Female 1.65
BF:
Progress:
Smile Eat Fat grow thin - Did you know that he got cancer now???

Hi, Somewhere on the web you can find his site where he discribes he has got cancer now....
I did correspond with him a few times. As soon as I asked the questions if he ever considered going on a fruit and vegetable diet, he stopped replying....I am sure he must be so tired of discussions like this. I really feel for him.

Sometimes I am afraid of the low carb/cancer connection as quite a few promoters of low carb have/had cancer
But then Mio Kushi, the head of the Macrobiotic People around the world has cancer, his wife Avelyn died of cancer so did at least two of his, was it seven children.....
Makes one think
This is NOT any critic on the low-carb diet as I am started today following it myself again....just thinking on paper....
Does anybody know why Atkins was overweight before he died?
I really appreciate your views....as one cannot have enough clarification on the subject
Happy Low Carb New Year
Hope I can report to you that I lost all the weight I wanted to lose in 2007
Teresa
How do I do a spelling check when sending a message? Thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Dec-27-06, 10:09

Plan: Paleo/Organic Fat Flush
Stats: 193/176/145 Female 5'4.5"
BF:42/31/24
Progress: 35%

I think there are many reasons people get cancer that aren't particularly related to diet: heredity, exposure to toxins in their environment, etc. Getting proper vitamins and minerals is very important, and a low carb diet will certainly help stave off diabetes and heart disease, but it's no guarantee that you won't develop cancer.

Atkins was not overweight before he died. You a repeating an urban legend perpetrated by the media. His body had bloated severely from the treatments that he was receiving when he slipped and hit his head on the ice. I'm sure someone else can give you more details.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Dec-28-06, 04:35

BF:
Progress:

Hi Demakat,

I really appreciate your input. Maybe somebody else has more details about Dr. Atkins weight. If not this is also fine with me
Thanks
Teresa
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jan-27-07, 07:13

Plan: daily exercise,LC,LFat
Stats: 115/108/105 Female 4'11"
BF:caliper16%/15%/12%
Progress: 70%
Default why Atkins died fat

I did some research on how Atkins died, so that a remark I made, about Atkins dying a fat man wouldn't hurt feelings. I was told he died fat, by a girl in my gym who was commenting on how Atkins diet is "bad" and thats why
its called ATKINS ATTITUDE and that Dr. Atkins died a FAT man.
Sooooo, my research has told me ...........................
He died at the weight of 258 pounds and had suffered a heart attack, congestive heart failure and hypertension. BUT- not due to the diet but due to infections. And his weight was actually under 200 before his accident, but between his accident and death he gained weight while in the hospital due to bloating, infection , meds, ETC
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jan-28-07, 04:03

Plan: low carb
Stats: 175/156/140 Female 166 cm
BF:
Progress: 54%

just a quick note to say that there IS a link between diet and cancer. For example research has shown that people eating high fiber had less risk of colon cancer, japanese who have a high intake of salt have a higher incidence of liver cancer, high alcohol consumption is linked with higher rate of eosophagus cancer ..etc.
I am not commenting on what LC does to us but just raising awareness about cancer. There are many reasons you can get cancer and diet is a factor among others.
Iph.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jan-28-07, 11:44

BF:
Progress:
Default Thanks guys fro your in put

Regards,

TeresaSA
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jan-30-07, 12:49
Dazilous

Plan: NeanderkIF
Stats: 140/114/110 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iphigénie
just a quick note to say that there IS a link between diet and cancer. For example research has shown that people eating high fiber had less risk of colon cancer, japanese who have a high intake of salt have a higher incidence of liver cancer, high alcohol consumption is linked with higher rate of eosophagus cancer ..etc.
I am not commenting on what LC does to us but just raising awareness about cancer. There are many reasons you can get cancer and diet is a factor among others.
Iph.

The fibre/colon cancer link has also been disproved by several studies: http://www.second-opinions.co.uk/bran_and_cancer.html

Many studies show correlations, and correlations are not causes. I'd be curious to know, for example, if those with the high alcohol consumptions were also smokers, or frequented bars etc where they were exposed to second-hand smoke. The media tends to latch on to the part of the study that is 'newsworthy' - often times, when you read the actual study itself, the conclusions are different or not as dramatic.

Thanks for the info, Obsessive.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jan-31-07, 07:12

Plan: low carb
Stats: 175/156/140 Female 166 cm
BF:
Progress: 54%

I wrote that there is a link not a causal effect between diet and cancer. I agree with DEMOKAT that multiple factors are at play when it comes to cancer.
The current advice from current cancer agencies in UK is ensure a good intake of fiber particularly soluble fiber. This is in a climate of rising obesity epidemiology and diets that are rich in sugar and poor in fiber.
I also think that sources of medical research from Medline are more reliable than private website. With all respect to the man, Dr Groves did not do reseach in colon cancer but selected articles for his review.

As for smoking: cigarettes smoking is linked with lung cancer (and Gynee cancer), pipe smoking is linked with throat cancer and tabacco chewing is linked with mouth cancer.
Grim but true.

Iph.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Feb-01-07, 11:04
Dazilous

Plan: NeanderkIF
Stats: 140/114/110 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%

Yes, but that doesn't mean if you smoke cigarettes, you only have to worry about lung or gynecological cancers! I do agree that multiple factors are at play, and if you're breathing in smoke (or other pollutants) constantly, cellular mutations can happen anywhere in the body, not just at the site of most exposure. Cancers of the colon, stomach and rectum run in my family, and all the smokers got them - there were other factors involved too, but the smoking (I imagine) certainly supported cancer development in the body.

Quote:
I also think that sources of medical research from Medline are more reliable than private website. With all respect to the man, Dr Groves did not do reseach in colon cancer but selected articles for his review.

Fair enough.

Lack of effect of a high-fiber cereal supplement on the recurrence of colorectal adenomas. Phoenix Colon Cancer Prevention Physicians' Network: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...t_uids=10770980

Lack of effect of a low-fat, high-fiber diet on the recurrence of colorectal adenomas. Polyp Prevention Trial Study Group:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...t_uids=10770979

There's a couple, but to be fair you can research PubMed etc and find the opposite! Hard to know who to believe when the studies themselves say different things. My point is, research has shown a link and has shown no link.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Feb-15-07, 15:54
Registered Member

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 213/211.6/185 Male 70"
BF:26%/27%/10%
Progress: 5%
Default Eat Fat & Get or Grow Thin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthAfric
Hi, Somewhere on the web you can find his site where he discribes he has got cancer now....
I did correspond with him a few times. As soon as I asked the questions if he ever considered going on a fruit and vegetable diet, he stopped replying....I am sure he must be so tired of discussions like this. I really feel for him.

Who are you referring to, the author of Eat Fat, GET Thin, Dr. Barry Groves? I've read on his site that he HAD cancer, but no longer has it. He credits the low-carb diet for helping him cure it, not the cause of it. His on-site biography states that he feels a diet of processed foods contributed to his cancer, not a low-carb diet. If you have other information, can you post a link with information that Mr. Groves CURRENTLY has cancer (2006-2007)?

Or are you referring to Eat Fat And GROW Slim, by Richard MacKarness? He passed away in 1996,although I'm not sure of the cause of death.

Thanks!
  #11   ^
Old Sat, May-17-08, 16:25

Stats: 295/230/150 Female 5 ft. 7 in.
BF:
Progress: 45%

I am not sure if eating fat caused his cancer or not no one really knows what sets off cancer in the first place.
I knew someone who was a health food nut and only ate fresh organic vegetables and no red meats, watched everything he ate and he had cancer and died.
So no matter how healthy or not healthy you eat there is some unknow cause for cancer that man does not know about.
You cannot blame it on any one thing..
  #12   ^
Old Sat, May-17-08, 19:28

Stats: 361/285.0/240.0 Male 5'11"
BF:Shake Hands w/Beef
Progress: 63%

Too many variables not know to hang or exonerate the founder of eat fat get thin....did he smoke? Drink? allow other high risk factors to go unchecked? we do not know...

One thing I do know, have read here and in a few other places that every person who has cancer has a vitamin D deficiency of some sort....and before I get too far, I am sure that should be every Cancer patient that has had their vitamin D levels tested, had a vitamin D deficiency....

Adequate nutrition, proper diet, consumption of anti oxidant or vitamin D rich foods etc is no guarantee one will not get Cancer....
  #13   ^
Old Sun, May-18-08, 13:48

Stats: 295/230/150 Female 5 ft. 7 in.
BF:
Progress: 45%

Vitamin D defieciency, thats news. never heard that before.
As for my friend who died with cancer, no he did not smoke or drink.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, May-30-08, 14:20

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthAfric
Hi Demakat,

I really appreciate your input. Maybe somebody else has more details about Dr. Atkins weight. If not this is also fine with me
Thanks
Teresa

Ummm, he wasn't overweight. Many people have heard this through the medias power to misinform. Dr. A died from head trauma he received following a fall on ice. He went into a coma and his body swelled with fluid. But he had been on many talk shows right before his death. Did you notice how thin he was at that time? Why do people miss this fact? Actually sugar has been linked to many forms of cancer and fats have been linked as a treatment.

http://www.essense-of-life.com/more...nksforsugar.htm
http://www.essense-of-life.com/more...nksforsugar.htm
http://rense.com/general54/SYUGAR.HTM
Read about Barry Groves here and also check out the interesting links.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/release...70605121134.htm

SouthAfric, I don't really understand where the cancer scare comes into play?

Last edited by black57 : Fri, May-30-08 at 15:02.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, May-30-08, 15:03

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by SissyPoo
Vitamin D defieciency, thats news. never heard that before.
As for my friend who died with cancer, no he did not smoke or drink.

Oh yes, vitamin D defificiency has been linked with many maladies.