Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-14, 11:31

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 220/200/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress:
Default "Induction Flu" Question

Hi There! This is my very first time trying a low carb diet, and I have been doing Atkins induction for a month now. My question is if anyone has had experience with "Induction Flu" lasting for longer than a few days. I've lost 20 lbs this month, which is fabulous, but I've had "flu" symptoms since about a week in and they aren't going away. Any advice is much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-14, 11:42

Stats: 315/315/240 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Can you be specific about what symptoms you are experiencing? That might help pin point the cause. Otherwise, my default answer is "get more salt"!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-14, 11:43

Plan: Low Carb/High Fat
Stats: 271/262.6/170 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 8%

I started with Atkins; Day 1 was hard, mentally
Day 2 was tougher, and I started to feel sick to my stomach. Day 3 brought headaches and fatigue, bad attitude, and lethargy. Day 4 was the same as Day 3. Day 5 I woke up feeling AMAZING!! The next couple of weeks were a mixture of feeling blah or feeling good! Mentally it was ALL a challenge though. Over the next 2-3 months I was transitioning completely, and I'd have some bad days in there where I felt so tired, or grumpy, or sick to my tummy. Into my third solid month of LC/HF I realized I was feeling really good, my attitude became so much better as I felt more pride in myself. And after that, it's been an easy road.

The thing I learned most is that even when I thought I KNEW what I was doing, I was doing some things wrong. The key was reading, reading, reading, here, in books, and visiting this board A LOT--interacting, getting ideas, advice, and support, and spending a lot of time researching recipes.

Now it's been 11 months and this feels 'normal' to me! I'm down 53 lbs and it is so much fun to shop for JEANS again after decades of not wearing anything but black stretch pants! I feel proud of myself, and I've learned that I DO have discipline!!

You'll be fine, just visit us here every day even if you don't post/comment-- visit and learn all you can and you CAN DO THIS!!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-14, 14:26

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

20 pounds is a lot. Since water and salt were covered, are you eating enough fat? Is low energy on of your symptoms? Without carbs, protein stays about the same, so fat must provide the energy. Low Carb, plus low fat, or even low calorie can mean a long adaptation. From a Dr Eades article in above Advice for newbies

Quote:
So Rule Number One to reduce the time spent in low-carb adaptation purgatory is: Don’t be a wuss when you start your low-carb way of eating. Keep the carbs cut to the minimum and load up on the fat. Eat fatty cuts of meat, cooked in butter or lard if you want, and force your body over to using the fats and ketones for energy as nature intended. I mean, don’t try to be noble by eating boneless, skinless chicken breasts – instead insert some pats of butter under the skin of a chicken leg and thigh before cooking, and wolf them with your fingers while the fat drips down your arms. Do not trim the fat from your steaks – eat them from the fat side in. If you leave anything on your plate, make sure it’s the meat and not the fat. If you don’t already, learn to love bacon, and don’t cook it ‘til the fat is all gone: eat it wobbly. Wallow in Mangalitsa lardo. And whatever you do, for God’s sake, don’t listen to your body during this adaptation period or you’ll never cross the chasm between fat and miserable on your high-carb diet and slim, happy, energetic and low-carb adapted on the other side. I
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-14, 19:14

BF:
Progress:

Thanks, everyone! I appreciate the advice and encouragement. My symptoms are:

1. Trouble sleeping
2. Tiredness/lack of energy during the day
3. diarrhea
4. Stomach pain (although that's a lot less frequent now)

I've been really careful about drinking lots of water and getting a lot of salt. I thought I was getting enough fat, but after reading that quote, I'm thinking maybe not. LOL I'll try adding more and see how that goes. I'm pretty sure I can "suffer through" bacon & butter. HAHA!

Any advice for getting in enough carbs? I know that sounds crazy, but I'm eating salads and some induction approved cooked veggies, but I'm often coming up short to the 20 grams per day.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-14, 20:19

BF:

Most of us here don't view the 20 as a necessity - but as a maximum. If you are eating a lot of salad, I wouldnt worry about it. I could be eating a much smaller portion of something like brussels sprouts and maxing out my carbs with much less nutrition. There are plenty of people here who keep their carbs WELL below 20. I tend to end up near 20 but it isn't the veggies - it's the little bits that add up with eggs, cheese, cream and sweetenter, etc.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jun-05-14, 03:49

Agree with thinchix, if you are eating salad and veggies and some other foods which do add up, you are likely fine. You could switch to higher carb veggies. Here is a list from lowest to highest, try cauliflower mashed or a "potato salad", red peppers, make fresh tomato salads in the summer, etc http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/wh...t/a/whatveg.htm

Are you actually tracking with something like MyFitnessPal? Do a few days to check the carb levels of everything, those extras she mentioned..and the fat %. Bet it is still low..we all have that tendency to avoid fat. The trouble sleeping sometimes is the deep ketosis, you have too much energy. Weird you have both...like circadian rhythms are messed up?

Last edited by JEY100 : Thu, Jun-05-14 at 03:56.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jun-05-14, 05:46

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2thinchix
Most of us here don't view the 20 as a necessity - but as a maximum.
True!

As my driving instructor told me many years ago when talking about speed signs - it is a limit not a target!

In DANDR the rule is
Quote:
Eat no more than 20 grams a day of carbohydrate, most of which must come in the form of salad greens and other vegetables

Thus if you eat a total of 12 net carbs on induction, of which 8 were from your veggies you are spot on in the same way as eating a total of 8 net carbs including 5 from vegetables would be.

Last edited by Elizellen : Thu, Jun-05-14 at 05:52.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jun-05-14, 05:51

BF:
Progress:

Thanks, that's very helpful! I've been tracking my carb intake just by reading labels and using the atkins carb counter. Will look into MyFitnessPal. The energy thing is weird. I've never had trouble sleeping before, and now I'm feeling tired most of the day, then around 10 at night I get a sudden burst of energy and am restless all night.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jun-05-14, 07:18

BF:

I can only think that is related to the timing of something you are eating - some people have reported that if they have coconut oil in the evening that happens. I personally found that taking magnesium at bed alleviated my insomnia (I fall asleep early, then wake up for hours in the middle of the night) somewhat (I have had that issue for a long time, but it may or may not have gotten worse when I started low carbing). What are you eating in the evenings? How long before bed do you eat?
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jun-05-14, 09:14

Plan: Atkins/Taubes
Stats: 270/168/160 Female 5'7"
BF:

Are you on any medications? Sometimes low carb can make them unnecessary, and what they were 'fixing' (ie. blood pressure meds, metformin, etc) is now going the wrong direction.

Have you tried eliminating dairy? It causes some people issues, and is worth a couple weeks off to see what the difference is. Why I am such a huge fan of Dr. Atkins plan. Take it down to bare bones, then experiment to see what carb levels and specific foods work for YOU. Can be a struggle, for sure. Butt here is no one set answer for everybody, so it is necessary.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-14, 10:14

BF:
Progress:

Hmmm... that could be it. I have PCOS and have been taking Avandia to try to get pregnant. Perhaps it's overkill now.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Jun-07-14, 03:20

You are on a powerful, controversial (debates over its black-box warning) blood sugar regulation medicine and you are looking to your diet as reasons for symptoms? Always carefully read the package insert of any medication you take, and search the internet for reported side effects.

For example, some Avandia side effects are:
nausea, stomach pain
increased thirst and hunger
diarrhea
unusual tiredness or weakness

EDIT: thinking more about this, Avandia's controversial side effect is the fluid retention and edema that may lead to heart issues. Wondering if some of that 20 pound loss was you having more water to shed than the average 220 person?

The list of medications which can interfere with weight loss is long; any hormones for almost any reason, and any of the blood sugar/diabetes ones.
Avandia is usually not one that would cause a hypo, but it could "be overkill" as you write and also causing the tiredness, trouble sleeping, stomach issues, etc.

http://www.drugs.com/sfx/avandia-side-effects.html

Always talk with your doctor before changing any meds, but good for you starting a low carb diet for PCOS. I have read/heard interviews about using a Paleo diet for PCOS/infertility. Low Carb plus a stronger focus on nutrient -dense foods and avoiding toxins in our diet. Hope you feel better and Wishing you all the best,

Last edited by JEY100 : Sat, Jun-07-14 at 04:19.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Jun-07-14, 03:34

Stats: 162/157/145 Female 5 feet 7"
BF:
Progress: 29%

Hi Jollybean,

I too had some issues. I think it could have to do with the fats. I wasn't eating enough fat and my weight just wasn't going down. I added fats and there was an improvement. I then added more fat and had tummy problems so I think you have to find the right balance for your body. You have lost an amazing amount of weight, good for you!! I also recommend a potassium supplement with a multivitamin. I started a newbee group last week. Feel free to join in. It's under " alot at steak"
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Jun-08-14, 19:12

Plan: Atkins/Taubes
Stats: 270/168/160 Female 5'7"
BF:

If you're trying to get pregnant, and PCOS is a problem, a strict low-carb, high fat diet can be that miracle cure you are looking for, without risky side effects. I have seen countless "Atkins babies" surprise women who had previously given up. (which is also a WARNING to those who would not find it to be a good surprise, it happens both ways.)