Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, May-03-20, 10:08

Plan: LC cycle w/keto REAL FOOD
Stats: 141/126/112 Female 166 cm
BF:26/21/Lean
Progress: 52%

Noooo! Your poor coffee pot. Thank goodness you had a spare. I have always drunk coffee straight black, so it's nice to not have to change that on LC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkloots
Sriracha is an Asian hot sauce, akin to Tabasco, or other red pepper concoctions. It's, well, zippy. I never eat it straight from the bottle. Let me know if you figure out how to make it.

According to research, the main US brand, Huy Fong, is made of largely made of Chili (Serrano), sugar, salt, garlic powder, and distilled vinegar. That shouldn't be so hard to rustle up. Since I quit sugar, I don't actually like the sweetness of most pre-prepared sauces so I'd probably not bother adding a sugar substitute. If it lacks something because of that, perhaps a smidge of sundried tomato paste would balance it out?

I rarely use sweetener in anything now. I only have it in diet drinks and on the rare occasion that I want a sweet yoghurt or treat pudding. I officially quit sugar in 2010 and maybe have it a couple of times a year. When you do that, I think your tastebuds change a bit and sweetness tastes very sweet!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, May-04-20, 07:19

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberleyb
I rarely use sweetener in anything now. I only have it in diet drinks and on the rare occasion that I want a sweet yoghurt or treat pudding. I officially quit sugar in 2010 and maybe have it a couple of times a year. When you do that, I think your tastebuds change a bit and sweetness tastes very sweet!

That is my experience. When I make my Griddle Muffins I rely on some added fruit as all the sweetener needed.
  #18   ^
Old Mon, May-04-20, 08:15

Plan: Atkins DANDR/ Candida
Stats: 300/195.2/172 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 82%

Welcome kimberley! You know what you need to do but it is getting your head in it that is always the tough part. On the injuries-- I bruised a rib badly in early March. Had to totally rethink my weight work and other exercise since it hurt to move. Not easy to work around injuries but be creative. You will likely be able to figure something out. Bkloots, I feel your pain with the coffee disaster -- my latest coffee machine has a metal pot for that very reason! Can't live without it. I have candida issues and have to keep my dairy low to lose. I think giving up the white stuff in my coffee was the unkindest cut of all -- took me 6 months to become a black coffee drinker, LOL
  #19   ^
Old Mon, May-04-20, 08:17

Hi WereBear! I recognise your username. Nice to see you again. Look at you way over your goal! I see in your signature, you follow Dr Abraham Hoffer. He introduced me to the wonders of Sunflower Lecithin. I'm in recovery from alcoholism and it really helps me feel comfortable in my skin when I'm feeling a little off
  #20   ^
Old Mon, May-04-20, 08:26

Thanks for the welcome, gzgirl. I've had bruised ribs. It's soooo much more painful than I imagined it would be. I thought I'd broken something!

I have found "injured foot" workouts on YouTube. There is a good HIIT one and also chair yoga. I'm still doing some normal yoga, but one-sided poses where necessary and keeping the foot raised for everything else. I also have a boxing tube in my bedroom back from when I did MMA. I'm still not ready to put enough weight on the foot to get a decent punch, but I'll be adding that in when I can.

I wish your ribs speedy healing. One thing that helped me with my ribs was to use pillows as bolsters to sleep. I'd tuck them between my side and the mattress, and it really helped me stop from rolling onto my ribs.
  #21   ^
Old Mon, May-04-20, 10:20

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberleyb
Hi WereBear! I recognise your username. Nice to see you again. Look at you way over your goal! I see in your signature, you follow Dr Abraham Hoffer. He introduced me to the wonders of Sunflower Lecithin. I'm in recovery from alcoholism and it really helps me feel comfortable in my skin when I'm feeling a little off

I will research Sunflower Lecithin. I do eat sunflower seeds every day

I do Dr. Hoffer's Therapeutic Niacin Therapy for anxiety, and started a thread for it if that's helpful:

https://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=476273
  #22   ^
Old Mon, May-04-20, 17:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
I do Dr. Hoffer's Therapeutic Niacin Therapy for anxiety, and started a thread for it if that's helpful:

https://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=476273

Cool, thank you. I will check it out. I don't have anxiety but I did try Niacin as it was another thing recommended for recovering alkies. I totally got the flush badly! It was like someone had poured chilli over my skin. I know, I know, I took too much to start without enough water. When I'd had water and stood in front of a fan, and it calmed down, I felt very "balanced" I suppose although I'm not sure if that was just the relief or not!!