Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#166   ^
Old Mon, Oct-22-07, 10:36

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 242/172/140 Female 5 ft 4 ins
BF:
Progress: 69%

Wow, I'm so jealous...I'm only 10 pounds larger, but those pictures make it look like 50. Starting now, I'm saving for that belt lipectomy!!!

Lisa
Sponsored Links
  #167   ^
Old Mon, Oct-22-07, 11:44
Princess Sara

Plan: Dukan
Stats: 210/165.6/150 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:---
Progress: 74%

That is a new belly button, and I do plan to get tattoo-ed....been looking at the design Joss Stone has on her ankle. The thing is you have to wait quite a while before tattooing on top of a scar. Plus, I want to find a real tatoo *artist,* don't cha know.

As for how small it looks, it really is. It is the most amazing thing since I have had a huge belly from infancy.
Sara<><
  #168   ^
Old Mon, Oct-22-07, 12:42
Registered Member

Plan: who knows
Stats: 337/204/180 Female 67 inches
BF:100% pure
Progress: 85%

Woo! Hot Momma! I am soooo jealous!
  #169   ^
Old Mon, Oct-22-07, 12:44
HIGH FAT!!!

Plan: CARNIVORE!!!!
Stats: 191/145.0/137 Female 69 inches
BF:30.3/24.06/not yet
Progress: 85%

Sara...
You are healing beautifully...
I can look in the mirror & picture my butt (sorry tmi) lifted & back to my pre-child bearing years. Your surgeon did a beautiful job. Strategic placement of the bottoms & noone would ever know.
Thank you for sharing...
~Cheryl Ann
  #170   ^
Old Tue, Oct-23-07, 04:19
Princess Sara

Ladies, I don't know the prices in your area of the world, but plastic surgery is not that expensive in Alabama. My lower body lift came in under $7,000----which included 2 nights in the hospital. Start saving your money. You may even want to put money in "plastic" jar as rewards for mini goals.

I am 4.5 months post surgery now, and I have to say it was an important part of my weight loss. It made it possible to SEE and FEEL my weight loss. The flaps of skin give the feeling of still being fat, IMHO.

It isn't about how I look as much as how I feel. Yes, I look better in clothes. Yes, my wonderful man is a panting dog following me around everywhere. (I'm kidding). For me plastic surgery is about making me feel physically and mentally comfortable. That is impossible for some people to understand....they will always judge....but, that is okay. Having my gigantic breasts reduced helped me physically, and it gave me the feeling that I COULD have some control over my body. I don't think I would have ever lost the weight without that understanding. Having the belt lipectomy was part of that process. It helped me realize that I do not always have to compromise my desire. That has been a lifelong struggle for me. I have never been #1 at anything. I thought I was one of those people that had to learn to be content with being dealt a mediocre hand in life. Spiritually, I now know that isn't true.

It took me a long time to get where I am. I actually started to live for myself at age 45. (I have now learned that this is pretty common for women my age. Menopause is said to be the time in life where we give birth to ourselves.) I am very happy to be my age, but I don't want to feel that I have "wasted" the majority of my life getting here. I feel vibrant. Getting a chin and removing the feeling of the yucky neck is going to remind me that I am still young. I still have a lot of life left to live.

I am letting go of the old shadow that has followed me around since the diagnosis of my diabetes 26 years ago. I have listened to doctors, family, statistics, "people" tell me that my life will eventually be consumed by the complications of blindness, stroke, heart attack, amputation, kidney failure. Well you know what? I defy that. I am letting those ominous clouds float away. Who says my future is doomed? Nuh uh. I'm going to live like I will be healthy and happy for the rest of my life.
Peace,
Sara<><
  #171   ^
Old Tue, Oct-23-07, 07:22
Always Shining

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 363.3/332.6/145 Female 5'7"
BF:'fraid so...
Progress: 14%

Beautiful Princess Sara - I bow to you. You have one of the most uplifting, mentally healthy attitudes I've ever encountered. Thank you for sharing your life with us, both in pictures and words. Big hugs to you!
  #172   ^
Old Tue, Oct-23-07, 10:47
Registered Member

Plan: modified lc
Stats: 212/143/115 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 71%

Thanks for telling us the cost$$ very interesting. I was expecting $20,000.

you look great!
  #173   ^
Old Wed, Oct-24-07, 04:09
Princess Sara

Well dang, Barbara!!! What a thing to say. That one caught me off guard. Thank you.

Medialady...again, I'm quoting South Alabama prices. Keep in mind that consultations don't usually cost anything. It doesn't hurt to research.

I am doing that right now with the face lift stuff. My surgeon has talked to me about two different methods of incision. One is the traditional up in the hair line, the other one goes in front of the "sideburn." They both involve cutting behind and in front of the ear. Here is the thing. I have horrible hair. It is baby thin and stringy. That is why I dye it outrageous colors and let it behave badly. It distracts from how yucky it is. I am just not sure which method would hide the scars the best. I'm looking into it and will talk to my surgeon again before the surgery.
Sara<><
  #174   ^
Old Wed, Oct-24-07, 09:04
neverwhere

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

I saw on tv on Dr. 90210 someone who got the lift in front of the sideburn. I think it is wise to have several consultations beforehand.

I had a post op visit tuesday. She took the rest of the tape that hadnt fallen yet, off. She also told me to transition into sports bras.

I am not used to wearing a sports bra. It feels kinda funny to have straps all over your back (it's a racer back kind), but the tight support feels sooo good at the same time.

I got a 36C! It is a little tight, but she told me to make sure my sports bra had a tight fit. I cant believe i am fitting into this size! I think it's going to depend on the bra though. I may bounce around anywhere from a 36-38 C or D I think. Still havent had an official measurement yet.

She told me she took nearly 1600 grams out per breast. Did I mis understand her? Unsure now if she said per breast or total. She said it was a very large volume reduction So she is sending a letter to dissability stating that fact for my appeal.

They wouldnt pay for me to be out of work, so she is fighting for me.
  #175   ^
Old Wed, Oct-24-07, 09:32

Plan: Avoiding gluten
Stats: 186/172/125 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 23%

Nicole,
I'm glad to hear everything seems to be coming along. I'm a 36C naturally and I don't think I'll take it for granted any more. I've never been there, but I can imagine the pain and difficulty trying to be active with overly large breasts--or even finding clothes that fit correctly. I feel for you.
  #176   ^
Old Fri, Nov-02-07, 16:23

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210.0/210.0/140 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 0%

SARAR -- I've read all your posts and they're very inspiring! I used to be thin, then I had three children via c-section and my body took the toll. I have the same weight stats as you (210 with a goal of around 140). I tried Atkins long ago and lost a bunch of weight. Then came the three kids and turning (almost) 40 and I haven't been able to drop it that quickly. I went on induction and lost 5.5 the first week. Great! But that was about it for four weeks. I'm very frustrated and off Atkins now. So I have a question for you --I saw that you wrote about your diabetes. I'm pretty much pre-diabetic right now and my ob/gyn just told me today (I went in for my post-surgery look, had my baby girl 3 months ago!!) that probably one of the reasons I'm having trouble losing weight is because of the pre-diabetes. She said it's a vicious cycle --- I can't lose weight that easily because of the pre-diabetes, yet I need to lose weight to get out of the pre-diabetes. Do you have any opinions about this judging from your own experience? I'm considering staying off the Atkins road and doing more of a calorie monitoring weight loss approach like Weight Watchers. Any insight you can give me will be helpful. I'm pretty down in the dumps about it right now and want to get myself on the right path so I can move forward, lose the weight, have surgery to remove my excess skin and get on with life! -- Amara
  #177   ^
Old Sat, Nov-03-07, 08:58
Princess Sara

Book-Lover,
We sound like kindred spirits. I love, love, love to read.....I mean LOVE IT!!!!!

If you have read all my posts, you are a reader. Does that mean just this thread, or some of my other stuff? I ask because you sound discouraged. Don't cha just hate that feeling??? There really is an answer for you!!

I can only speak from my own experience, but WW, the American Diabetic Association diet, low fat, low cal, and all other "healthy" "balanced" diets made me fat, miserable, and did not control my diabetes. They did not work with my body and fed into my low self-esteem and addictive brain. They created problems for me.

Diabetes is a metabolic disease. My type is incurable. I cannot metabolize any carbohydrates on my own. Your type means that you are insulin resistant. Your body produces more and more insulin to cover the carbohydrates you eat....and it only makes you fat. It still doesn't utilize the glucose (made from the carbs) correctly. Why would eating a diet heavy in carbs work? It won't. Now understand that I have over simplified all of this to make a point. You can't get the same results other people can from WW.

The best thing you can do is stop right now and buy or order Dr. Bernstein's Diabetic Solution. That book will help you understand your body so that you can make informed decisions. I'm not kidding. I cried the first time I read it! I was so relieved to find something that re-affirmed what I knew to be true. The ADA recommendations were killing me.....physically, emotionally, and spiritually.

In the meantime, if you want to read some of my stuff look for the thread, Have you noticed after losing a significant amount of weight...... It will give you a laugh and forecast your celebration.http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=280707

Blessings,
Sara<><
  #178   ^
Old Tue, Jan-08-08, 11:47

Plan: south beach diet
Stats: 235/145/130 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 86%

Hi Sarar,
I am scheduled to have a belt Lipectomy, Tummy Tuck and breast lift in 8 days and I am scared to death!! (these will all be done in one surgery). You have offered some very comforting words but I still have so many questions. My biggest fear is regretting the large scar (from the lipectomy) in years to come. I know how the good out weighs the bad in many cases, but curious to know how you feel since this has been a year ago at this point. Also, I have a (pre-paid) ski trip planned exactly 2 months after this procedure. My doctor assured me that I should be able to ski within 2 months. Would you agree with that assesment? Please advise.
  #179   ^
Old Wed, Jan-09-08, 05:53
Princess Sara

Sondra,
I am assuming you are having your stomach muscles repaired along with this. I'll bet you will have some swelling from the skiing and will feel tightness at the end of the day. You may even want to talk to your doctor about having some kind of muscle relaxer on hand.....maybe just save some from your surgery. My doctor prescribes Soma. It really helped me. After I went back to full activity level, I had tightness in my lower back and abs for quite some time. As for the scars they don't bug me. I had my breast reduction years ago so I've had time to get used to the scars. My lipectomy scars are covered by Brazilian cut panties, etc. I do notice that the scars on the sides are fading more slowly than the front and back. Who knows.....if they bug me a couple of years from now I may get a tattoo on top of them.

My latest sagas are that after three years on low carb I just had to have some variety. I am currently doing the WW Flex plan. That is why I haven't been posting on the forum, but I will continue to respond to the threads I've started....like this one.

AND I had my neck/face lift on December 21. I don't have a lot of time to tell ya'll everything this morning because I have to go up and spackle my face for work-----still using make-up to cover bruises.

I did not tell people that I was having this done. Yesterday was the first day back at work and EVERYBODY noticed and asked what I had done. Dang!!! I figured my students would comment---eight year olds will tell it like it is. I was not expecting the boldness of the adults...I figured they would be busy tending to their business and I could just slide in. Double Dang!!! I sighed and told them I had a neck lift. Jeesh. Keep in mind that I still have three screws sticking out of the top of my head. I just prayed the wind wouldn't blow my hair around. Tough, tough day.

Maybe today will be batter.
More later,
Sara<><
  #180   ^
Old Thu, Jan-10-08, 14:08

Plan: south beach diet
Stats: 235/145/130 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 86%

Hi Sara!!
Thanks so much for your reply. That's a great idea about the muscle relaxer for after skiing. I will definitely do that!!! One of my friends said that there would be NO way I could go skiing w/in 2 months. But she said that because she knows someone that recently had complications with that procedure. But my Doctor said, oh yeah... you should be fine in 6 weeks.

I will not need to have stomach muscle repair. I have never had children, so all my problems stem from being overweight. And now I am at 145 (size 8-10) which is very close to my goal weight, but I just have loose skin and my biggest problem area is (and always has been) my thighs, all the way down to my knees. My doctor said that LBL will only get so much, but will still be a vast improvement. So I will probably need an inner thigh lift for the next surgery (he has to do that separately). That's another long scar down the middle of each thigh, so I am really hoping this surgery suffices enough to make me happy.

Also, let me tell you... you got a GREAT DEAL with excellent results. I have looked at a lot of pictures (before & after LBL) and believe me, yours are very nice, straight and even. I have seen some that curve up to the hip (Ughh). My surgery is $23K for the TT, LBL, Breast lift and augmentation). Maybe I should move to L.A. (hee hee). I just hope my scars look as good as yours do.

That's awesome about your face lift. I read that you were thinking about it. Now you are just as beautiful on the outside as you are on the inside. Well, in my opinion, you looked pretty smokin' hot in that last picture (before the menopause play). So you must be turning heads by now!!

I feel like I know you already after reading hours of your postings. And it's obvious that you have helped and inspired so many people from this forum. I want you to know that you are the ONE person that helped me go forward with this surgery. I was definitely down with the breast lift & augmentation (just enough to refill what I lost), but I was tormented by the lower body lift. I am scheduled to go in on Jan. 15th. I am still scared... but excited at the same time. I am sure you know that feeling.

Well, thanks again for your wonderful words of encouragement. I wish you the best in your recovery. And I will let you and everyone here know how my deal goes. fingers crossed!!

Take care!!
Sondra