Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Fri, Aug-05-16, 19:05
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

I was surprised at the loss of height I've read about on this thread. i've always been 5'2" and at 71 I'm still the same.

My goal weight is to maintain where I am. Currently I weigh what I did in 1975. Anything else is gravy.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Fri, Aug-05-16, 19:57
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Exclamation

Notice

Several inflammatory exchanges have been removed from this thread.

Our forum rules, to which you all clicked "I Agree" .. clearly states:
Quote:
No Flaming or insults

We strive to provide a safe environment for members to express their ideas without personal attacks or "flames". Please be polite in your posts. < snip > If you object to a post, and consider it a flame or insult, please use the "Report bad post" link instead of insulting the poster back. If you flame others through personal attacks, even in response to a perceived personal attack, you will lose your posting privileges.

Do not use the journals to continue flaming others or perpetuating a personal drama. This is not appropriate, and our journal posting rules specifially state:
Quote:
- Do not use your own journal or another member's journal to attack other members for disagreements elsewhere on the forum. This includes complaining, "venting", mocking and otherwise insulting other members and/or their behavior with which you disagree. Such insults are inflammatory, violate the forum rules, and could result in suspension of posting privileges.

I respectfully ask everyone to get back to the original topic about height shrinkage and ideal weight.

Doreen
  #33   ^
Old Sat, Aug-06-16, 16:09

Plan: Protein Power, IF
Stats: 238/204/145 Female 5'8"
BF:53.75%/46.6%/25%
Progress: 37%

I haven't actually considered my height at all when considering a goal weight. I figure that body fat percentage is really a better tool for gauging health than raw weight, so my goal is based on 24% body fat.

I have one of those scales that estimates BF%, so I use that to extrapolate lean body mass (LBM) and add another 24%, i.e.:
210.6 lbs X 45% BF = 94.8 lbs BF
210.6 - 94.8 = 115.8 lbs LBM
115.8 x 1.24 = 143.6 lbs Goal weight

I plugged all this into the spreadsheet where I track my weight, so it automatically calculates every time I weigh-in. It wanders around a bit, mainly because household scales aren't the most reliable way to measure BF%, but I figure it's close enough. Especially since all those numbers will keep changing.

Interestingly, this weight is close to the Stillman number for me (140-145 depending on whose height measurement you believe). However, when I was much closer to that weight in my 20s, it always seemed high to me; 130 or 135 always seemed like it would be a better number. On the other hand 24% may be a overly optimistic for a mostly sedentary, 50-year-old woman. So we'll see what that goal looks like when I get closer.