Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jun-16-16, 16:46

Plan: Rosedale
Stats: 129/125/122 Female 5.5
BF:
Progress:
Default Sudden pronounced osteoporosis

Keto three years some of it high protein and other times moderate protein high fat always lots of leafy greens. 17% reduction bone mass at the spine in the last two years keto. First year keto osteopenia and stable after a year. Skipped a year testing and awful results. Hypothyroid too and free t4 was above range so I've been hyper for at least a year. This is the most likely culprit.
What do you think?
Leslie
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jun-16-16, 17:52

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

I'm so sorry to hear your news and can appreciate how concerned you must be.

I'm curious, though, why do you think low carb/keto is the most likely cause? What do you think you are missing in your eating plan? Do you plan to make changes?

I'm not sure how old you are, but have you recently gone thru menopause?

Last edited by Liz53 : Thu, Jun-16-16 at 21:46.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jun-16-16, 18:37
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

How is your vitamin D3 status? And yes, hyperthyroid can definitely cause bone loss.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jun-17-16, 04:15

BF:
Progress:

Several factors i could question. Hashimotos positive and thyroxine out of range high this year and probably last. Didnt notice because im keto- my bad. Have had suppressed tsh for 15 years even with below normal ft4 and ft3. Maybe thTs because of the t3 added?
Added 10000iu vitamin a palmitate which finally let my serum d take off from 30 to 78.
Dexi machine moved to new location. Wonder if im the only one with a big increase?
My bioidentical hormones were halfed two years ago and halfed again last year and again now so not as much building going on.
I was dropping out of keto with too much protein and only added more fat and decreased protein recently.
Really need your input as i put all this together. God knows the doctor is going to want to drop thyroid because of suppressed tsh which i have always had with even below normal t3. Im afraid of being on too little thyroid necause of tsh treatment.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jun-17-16, 08:26

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesliean
My bioidentical hormones were halfed two years ago and halfed again last year and again now so not as much building going on.

I admit, the whole thyroid thing is confusing to me and I can't be of any help with that. I do know that loss of estrogen is a huge factor in bone loss in women. This is where I would look for answers and, hopefully, remedies.

Besides Vitamin D, K2 is needed to properly build bone.

Perhaps Neanderpam will come around - she's got a good grip on thyroid function.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jun-18-16, 11:21

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesliean
Im afraid of being on too little thyroid necause of tsh treatment.

And rightly so. I wonder if you could get a second test? Because of the machine moving?

And yes, Neanderpam can be very helpful, you can PM her.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jun-19-16, 09:05

BF:
Progress:

So I exited keto and am waiting for an endo appointment August 1. Could be terrible if the endo is tsh driven or anti t3.

Morning fasting glucose 98 which is better that first morning post keto of 102 but after exercise this morning blood glucose was 180! It was never above 110 keto. Adjustment period? Temporary low insulin? Or diabetic now?
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jun-19-16, 10:22
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I think it is more likely to be your T3 you're taking than the keto diet. Not going to be a popular opinion here, but there you go. My doctors have always warned me that too much T3 causes bone loss, better to have the body convert T4 to T3. I kind of didn't believe them, but your story and my experience with T3 (never could tolerate it) doesn't make me a fan.

Or maybe lack of nutrients like D3, K2 and such.

I wish you the best!
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jun-19-16, 12:00

BF:
Progress:

I agree Nancy. I picked up from somewhere that even though we feel better with some t3 (after all if we have trouble supplying thyroid doesn't it make sense we have trouble converting it too?) it tells the TSH directly to shut down. So endos don't like it either. What would they do if they actually had to look at circulating thyroid and not the go to TSH? But at thryoid.org it states TSH can be off 50% and free t4 25% so total t4 the best number to go by. I need t3 too so I'm hoping to find a doctor who will go by free t3 and free t4 and total t4 numbers. Research at that same site was mixed on tsh leading to bone loss. More direct correlation of t4 to bone loss.