Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-13-04, 10:41

Plan: ?????
Stats: 239.9/196/145 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 46%
Question cortisol reduction supplements

I've been doing a bit of reading about this. I'm considering trying relacore. I'd really like to hear from people who have tried one of the cortisol reducing supplements. I don't want to waste anymore money if it doesn't help.

Last edited by rodmick : Tue, Apr-13-04 at 10:42. Reason: spelling!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-13-04, 16:21
Registered Member

Plan: Cudmore
Stats: 342/310/180 Male 68
BF:34
Progress: 20%

Check with a doctor. If a supplement has the power to help it also contains the power to hurt. Supplements are not as heavily regulated as drugs and thus there is a lot of dangerous stuff out there on the market.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Apr-23-04, 00:20

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 195/148/150 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

I am using both Relora and Seriphos under the direction of a naturopath. She first tested my saliva for cortisol before prescribing the supplement use. These 2 supplements, along with some stress reduction and elimination of all caffeine have me feeling 110% better and finally losing weight slowly.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Apr-23-04, 19:40

BF:

Karenemt, thats great!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Apr-26-04, 01:02

BF:

I tried the Relora alone first but that didn't seem to do it. We then added the Seriphos and eliminated the caffeine, I could feel a total difference in a week!

Still working on the stress reduction Hope you can get some answers!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Apr-26-04, 05:47

BF:

Karen, when you say you felt a difference what was the difference?
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Apr-30-04, 23:05

BF:

The acne went away, I could get to bed before 2 a.m., and my abdominal bloating decreased. The headaches also went away but that took a little longer.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, May-01-04, 12:18

Plan: slow and local
Stats: 150/133.2/100 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 34%

I tried the relacore and was totally disappointed. What is Seriphos, and where can I get it?? Will it cost an arm and a leg, like the relacore???
  #9   ^
Old Sat, May-01-04, 22:47

BF:

I buy all the stuff I take through the naturopath. She is really picky about where she gets her supplements. I am taking "Relora" from Douglas Laboratories (Pittsburgh, PA) www.douglaslabs.com. I paid $20 for 60 tabs (take one twice daily).

The Seriphos active ingredient is phosphorylated, serine/ethanolamine. It is by InterPlexus, Inc. (Kent, WA) I paid around $20 for that too, for 100 capsules (take one twice daily).

Hope this helps. Most of my other supplements are Thorne Research (the B complex and the chromium) but those can only be purchased through a practitioner.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, May-06-04, 14:00
Registered Member

Plan: Insulin resistant Atkins
Stats: 202/183.5/140 Female 66 INCHES
BF:
Progress: 30%

I have also read that vitamin A and C, the some amino acid supplements are supposed to be good for lowering the effects of cortisol.

Among some of the proponents of these items were body builders--who seem to take alot of wild things.

Do any of you take these supplements?

I don't have any natropaths in our area, but I did visit someone who advocated using flower essences and natural progesterone creams and stuff for my periomenopause. I didn't care for her method of diagnosing problems--and she was way off base giving me a reason for my headaches--so I quit going to her. I did like her method for manipulation for chiropractic adjustments, though--not the bone-crackers like I've been to before.

I agree, drug supplements should not be used unless directed by a physician, so I would hesistate just taking these items without supervision..
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Jun-25-04, 02:41

Plan: TKD/CKD
Stats: 247/180/180 Male 74
BF:
Progress: 100%

ester-c and glutamine has proven much better than realcore.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Jun-25-04, 10:15

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

I think the posts in this thread are using the names "Relora" and "Relacore" interchangeably. I don't think they're the same thing.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Mar-04-05, 12:42

Plan: IF/Keto OMAD
Stats: 236.9/214.1/199 Female 66 inches
BF:Why yes/it/is !!!
Progress: 60%

karenemt: Can you tell how you purchased the Seriphos? Did you get it online? if so, could you post the link to the store you got it from?

Also, have you tried Extreme Trim relora from Vitamin World? I got 2 huge bottles of 300+ capsules for around $50.

Do you think that's a decent product?

I hope to hear your response soon.

Thanks

Deb34
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Mar-04-05, 13:24

Plan: original 72 Atkins
Stats: 201/177/142 Female 65 inches
BF:44/44/25
Progress: 41%

I tried Relacore and didn't like it.

I can give you a few pointers though from my naturopath: eliminate all caffeine, don't take any ginseng except Siberian, be in bed by 10:00 pm, make sure you take B supplement, eliminate smoking.

Basically, you are eliminating anything that can jack you up (incluidng cold/allergy medicines), and getting to bed before the cortisol starts climbing again at around 10:00 pm.

The B vitamins help because stress depletes these and they supplement the adrenal glands, which makes cortisol.

If you can do anything such as Tai Chi, or some other relaxing methodology, that would be good.

I have/had adrenal fatigue, so I also took adrenal gland, but I don't think that is recommended if you are making too much cortisol, but I could be wrong about that.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Mar-04-05, 13:34

Plan: low glycemic
Stats: // Female jkl
BF:
Progress: 69%

A few extra carbs throughout the day and some good anti-oxidant vitamins also help. If you read the ingredient list for Relacore/Relora, you'll find Vitamin C makes up quite a bit of what's in it.

Tried Relacore for a month. Nada.