Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Mon, Jun-27-05, 18:11
Thank you Dr Atkins!

Plan: Atkins induction
Stats: 311/250/220 Male 6 feet
BF:45%/20%/15%
Progress: 67%

In the beginning you lose a lot of the triglycerides which is post blood sugar and pre fat. Some people call this water weight, but it is basically liquid fats.

Eating salt is not a problem IF you are taking potassium. The body likes things in balance. The sodium / potassium (and one or two other electrolytes - sorry I don't have my books with me) need to be balanced. Most Americans have high sodium and low potassium -- so that is the problem.

You will never make it on this diet if you fret over a few pounds. There will be weeks where you don't lose any weight. You need to do it for your health -- not just for weight loss.

Hang in there ...
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Mon, Jun-27-05, 23:50

Plan: General LC
Stats: 318/213.2/185 Female 5ft 6.5
BF:
Progress: 79%

^ i dont think i am loosing any weight really. I am just trying to stick with it now and see what happens.

I strated going to the gym.. and i usually ate under 1k calories, but now i am freaking starving after an hour of cardio.. and in the end i just end up being more hungry throughout the day, so i been eating around 1400-1500. .. i feel thats bad.. is that ok?

The thing with induction.. and i will be honest, but in my opinion it is not the healthiest combination of food, i think its really for weight loss and just seeing so many people loose A LOT of weight quickly worries me, or makes me think i am doing something really really wrong. I think atkins way of life is really in the later phases.. but in the later phases its very similar to many other diets.

What if next week on Sunday i am still 285. Something has to be wrong with me then, especially since i am working out.
  #33   ^
Old Tue, Jun-28-05, 05:20
Thank you Dr Atkins!

If you cut your calories too low -- your body will go into "starvation mode" and you will stop losing weight.

This is NOT a diet of starvation. This is a diet where you eat when you are hungry -- but you do not eat carbohydrates.

I was eating like 4,000 calories per day when I was losing the most weight. But tried to eat zero carbohydrates.

Forget calories. Focus on carbohydrates.

The fewer carbohydrates (and alcohol) you consume -- the more fat your body has to burn.

The exercise will help burn more fat. If you get hungry -- eat some cheese or pork rinds. Perhaps some almonds, walnuts, or other nuts (make sure you check their glycemic index - because while some nuts are great for you, others are not. For example, *I think* peanuts and cashews are not a good choice).

This diet is healthy long term. Type 2 diabetes, that will quickly consume you, if you keep eating high glycemic carbohydrates, is not healthy for you. Find a nurse and ask them what complications there are with type 2 diabetes. Have her describe *in graphic detail* what happens to people with type 2 diabetes.

This diet is your best chance to break free from that.

The reason you have been told to eat fruit and veggies is because the vitamins, minerals, and other nutrition in them. But most of what you buy today has no nutritional value. That is why you take the vitamins.

Remember: eat only Low carb foods, take your supplements, and exercise. Eat if you are hungry -- but only low carb.

Give it two months. Don't cheat. Don't starve yourself. Then go to your doctor, do all the blood tests, look at the results to see if you are more healthy or less healthy. Your doctor will be stunned.

Last edited by kebaldwin : Tue, Jun-28-05 at 13:59.
  #34   ^
Old Tue, Jun-28-05, 16:09

BF:

Ok... i will stop counting the calories..

are pork rinds that fluffy curly looking stuffy in the chips section????

Should i try to go under 20 carbs? I am usually under 20 net carbs anyhow, bc i dont subtract the fiber.
I guess i am frustrated b/c other people loose a lot more quickly.. especially during the first two weeks.
Its oddly discouraging..
  #35   ^
Old Tue, Jun-28-05, 16:39
Undercover Goddess

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 360/304.2/180 Female 71 inches
BF:Half Price Special
Progress: 31%

Rule number 1: Don't compare your weightloss to other people's. All of us are different, our metabolisms and bodies react differently to food, plus you said that it is notoriously hard for you to lose weight. Comparing = BAD.

IMHO, you should not go under 20 carbs.

Yes, pork rinds are the fluffy things in the chip aisle.
  #36   ^
Old Tue, Jun-28-05, 17:41
Thank you Dr Atkins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malishka31
Should i try to go under 20 carbs?

What are you more likely to stay with -- on this diet? For example, if you hate eating zero carb foods (eggs, meat, etc) then I would suggest that you stay up around 20 carbs because you are more likely to stay on the diet. If you prefer meat and eggs to veggies -- AND you need to lose weight -- then I would suggest you try for zero carbs. Atkins stated that you can stay on strict induction as long as you need to lose weight -- it's just that most people can not stand to eat just meat and eggs and quit the diet.

Whatever approach you are most likely to stick with over the long haul. Also, if you exercise regularly, 20 grams of carbs is not that big of a deal.
  #37   ^
Old Thu, Jun-30-05, 23:40

BF:

I gained 2 pounds... ........ so i am like at the exact same weight.
I dont know whats wrong with me.

i am 286.5...and on top of everything i been working out 1 hour this week, just cardio so far.
  #38   ^
Old Fri, Jul-01-05, 03:53
Thank you Dr Atkins!

Cut your carbs as low as possible
Eat all the protein and fat you want
take your supplements
get your exercise (walking 30 minutes per day is fine)

repeat for two months

Then check scale and blood chemistry
  #39   ^
Old Fri, Jul-01-05, 09:41

BF:

^... no scale for two months?

no wonder i freak out a lot.. i weight myself like 4 times a day.
which is really stupid i guess.
  #40   ^
Old Fri, Jul-01-05, 10:00
Thank you Dr Atkins!

I weigh about 5 pounds heavier at night than i do when I first wake up.

If you're going to freak out 4 times a day then yes -- wait two weeks before weighing yourself.

You should learn to feel how your body is doing. Listen to your body.

One other idea -- post *everything* you eat for a couple of days.

It's called a "menu" something or another.

Perhaps we can move this discussion over to your journal and you can post *everything* over there. Some people would be better at analyzing your diet than me ... but if you can't find anyone else - I would be glad to do my best.
  #41   ^
Old Sat, Jul-02-05, 20:07

BF:

I am posting stuff there, .as you knwo. but back on the supplement topic.

HOW THE HELL DO YOU TAKE THESE PILLS DAILY!!!!!!!!!(#U*$)(~~!(#($#$*#(#????

They are HUGE!!!!!!!!!!

I have to take a total of 16 pills.
THey are GIGATIC/
i dont know how to do it.
and the gel ones i cant cut in half, but even if i do cut them in half they still huge.

any suggestions?