Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Dec-18-08, 15:15

Plan: Almost ZC
Stats: 220/220/140 Female 5'4
BF:Yes
Progress: 0%
Default CoQ10. Is it really worth the price?

I have heard CoQ10 is really as good as people claim it is, or is it just expensive snake oil?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Dec-18-08, 19:40

Plan: As low as possible
Stats: 116/116/112 Female 64
BF:

I can't answer for sure. I hear good things about it too but I don't take it. It take a lot of supplements already and that is not one of them....probably because it's not cheap.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Dec-18-08, 19:57
7 yrs and counting!

Plan: Vegan/Crossfit
Stats: 285/212/199 Female 5'7
BF:33.4%
Progress: 85%

I've never taken it as a supplement, but i use a face cream thats CoQ10. It's very pricey, like 48$ for a small thing of it...but i'll tell ya...it makes for perfect skin.

Right now im out and my skin is blotchy again.
As soon as i reorder it...after about two days...people at work will start saying "gosh you have the most beautiful skin".

It's worth it, yes, in my opinion.
Just sucks that it's so darn pricey.
I will say that GNC had some on clearance because of the date, but theirs has orange oil in it which i'm allergic to. I'd say try there and see what you can find.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Dec-18-08, 19:57
Never Give Up!

Plan: It's anybody's guess!
Stats: 350/250/160 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 53%

I just started taking it this week, so it's too early for me to say whether it's worth the $$$ or not.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Dec-18-08, 20:14
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 203/184/180 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 83%

The emerging role of coenzyme Q-10 in aging, neurodegeneration, cardiovascular disease, cancer and diabetes mellitus.

see http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16375724
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Dec-20-08, 18:29

Plan: close to zero carbs
Stats: 225/206/210 Male 73
BF:
Progress:

I think it is an amazing compound. If you take statins it is critical.

In my experience it is has been a lifesaver for those with cardiovascular disease..especially those with congestive heart failure. But it needs to be in the 200 milligram range to be effective.

Want some energy?? Take it with carnitne and it can help battle fatigue. Endurance athletes who I have the pleasure of working with, report better recovery and more endurance when added to their regimen.

If you take on an empty stomach first thing in the morning, you'll notice more alertness and just a enhanced feeling of well being.

And its antioxidant properties are second only to Alpha lipoic acid in my book.

So I do belive it is worth the cost..you may not feel it, but it is giving you spme great health benefits
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Dec-20-08, 19:40

Plan: Intermittent Fasting, LC
Stats: 242/215/130 Female 5'7.5"
BF:too/dang/much
Progress: 24%

You can buy it much cheaper online at http://www.swansonvitamins.com/
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Dec-20-08, 19:41
I’m Delicious

Plan: It's a secret..shhh
Stats: 256/186/160 Female 5'7
BF:Beef Flavored?
Progress: 73%

I have been taking 150 mg of coQ10 along with 2,000 mg of L-carnitine daily for about 3 weeks. (I have taken it before in smaller doses with no noticeable results) Not only has it gotten me over a very very long stall, I have more energy and I lost a bunch of inches and I am more motivated to exercise. I hear if you take any less of a dose of these 2 aminos they don't do you much good. They work best taken together. That's my experience.

Costco has 150 mg coQ10 pretty cheap(120 ct for $29.95), and netrition has 1,000 mg per tablets L-carnitine 1/2 price right now.

Last edited by y0u : Sat, Dec-20-08 at 19:47.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Dec-20-08, 20:02

Plan: Intermittent Fasting, LC
Stats: 242/215/130 Female 5'7.5"
BF:too/dang/much
Progress: 24%

COQ10 200 Swanson Ultra
COQ10 200
SWU035
200 mg 90 Caps
$21.69
In Stock
(They didn't have 150mg, and it's not as many capsules. Price per capsule is about the same)
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Here's some cream
Swanson Premium Brand
CoQ10 Cream
SWANSON $6.99

Item# SW861
2 fl oz (59 ml) Cream

~*~*~*~*~*~*~
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Dec-21-08, 03:48
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Dahlqvist's
Stats: 205/152/160 Male 69
BF:
Progress: 118%

Those who live in the UK may find that IHERB work out a tad cheaper than Swanson when you include the delivery charge.
Do be careful though not to order £18 or more as you may get caught for VAT/customs and the £8 charge our post office charges for collecting the tax. It worth using a currency converter to be sure now the £ is so low against the $
~~~~~~ earns you a $5 discount from Iherb.

You may want to consider what Mercola has to say about CoQ10 and Ubiquinol here
It would be better if there were some research done by companies other than the manufacturers to provide a totally independent point of view.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Dec-21-08, 10:00
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I think if you're looking for noticable results you might be disappointed. I mean, it's only when we're deprived of certain nutrients over a very long period of time that things start going wrong. Getting a nutrient you might be low on (due to prior life style, environmental toxins, other health conditions) might be doing things at the cellular level you're not going to notice. But in 10 years, it might save you a stroke or heart attack.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Dec-21-08, 18:50

Plan: Almost ZC
Stats: 220/220/140 Female 5'4
BF:Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
I think if you're looking for noticable results you might be disappointed. I mean, it's only when we're deprived of certain nutrients over a very long period of time that things start going wrong. Getting a nutrient you might be low on (due to prior life style, environmental toxins, other health conditions) might be doing things at the cellular level you're not going to notice. But in 10 years, it might save you a stroke or heart attack.

That is good enough for me!
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Dec-29-08, 15:52

Plan: general
Stats: 166/161.5/145 Female 5'4"
BF:Sure is!
Progress: 21%
Default Anecdotal evidence

Years ago a neighbor had a daughter with a rare disease that depleted her energy. She was about 11 at the time...and her doctor prescribed CoQ10. She hated taking pills but her mother struggled with her every day to be sure she took them.

After a couple of months, the daughter refused to swallow the pills anymore and her mother finally gave up.

I took less than a week for the daughter to come downstairs one evening and say, "Mom, I need to take that COQ10....I am tired again like I used to be." She felt better within a couple of days.

I take it, along with a slew of other supplements, and when my week-at-a-time pill boxes get empty, I sometimes don't get around to refilling them for a few days. EVERY time I notice less energy and more brain fog. (I am 56, and Type 2 Diabetic)
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-09, 19:26

Plan: my own thing
Stats: 350/269.0/199 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 54%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha22
I've never taken it as a supplement, but i use a face cream thats CoQ10. It's very pricey, like 48$ for a small thing of it...but i'll tell ya...it makes for perfect skin.

Right now im out and my skin is blotchy again.
As soon as i reorder it...after about two days...people at work will start saying "gosh you have the most beautiful skin".

It's worth it, yes, in my opinion.
Just sucks that it's so darn pricey.
I will say that GNC had some on clearance because of the date, but theirs has orange oil in it which i'm allergic to. I'd say try there and see what you can find.

Ohhhhhh I want to know which cream you use. Do you mind sharing your beauty secrets??
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-09, 21:02

Plan: LC gut healing
Stats: 302/285/165 Female 5'3"
BF:Irrelevant
Progress: 12%

Quote:
Originally Posted by frisbena
Ohhhhhh I want to know which cream you use. Do you mind sharing your beauty secrets??

Pretty, please?