Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jan-10-21, 06:25
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%
Default Joanna Blythman: Veganism really is 'one part cult, one part eating disorder'

Joanna Blythman: Veganism really is 'one part cult, one part eating disorder'

Quote:
if I get into discussion with someone contemplating becoming vegan, I’ll be asking them to mull over these thoughts before adopting this extreme approach.

I’d first see if they have read The Vegetarian Myth, by the Canadian author Lierre Keith. She was a vegan for over 20 years, believing this diet would honour animals, feed the hungry, and save the planet. Now she believes veganism “is one part cult, one part eating disorder”, and that it “destroyed her body”.

She recounts how her fervent ideological determination blinded her to early warning signs, such as missed periods. She describes how she has been left with irreversible spine disease, gut problems, pain and more.

She includes depression and anxiety in this tally, which thankfully alleviated substantially once she jumped off the vegan wagon.

“You don’t have to try this for yourself. You’re allowed to learn from my mistakes”, she urges would-be vegan recruits.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-12-21, 08:20

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

The thing is, with all the vegetarians I've met, they feel they don't need to read that book because it's just propaganda filled with lies. They believe with all their hearts that being vegetarian/vegan is the best, most healthy way to live.

My former doc was a vegetarian (possibly vegan), though I didn't know it at the time I started seeing him. He'd always try to get me to become vegetarian and not eat any animal products (though he said if it would help, I could eat meat maybe once a month for a while). He said that the vast majority of scientists and doctors believe -- rightly so -- that a plant-based diet is the healthiest way to eat, and the remaining 5% of scientists and doctors are quacks if they believe otherwise. He said his job was to tell me the facts, and then if I chose not to listen and follow his lead, he could do no more.

Yeah, I dumped him.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jan-12-21, 09:59

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Behind a paywall at the Herald Scotland, but think this is the whole article:

Quote:
It’s Veganuary once more, the annual prod to stop eating animal foods, and yet again I won’t be taking up the invitation. Vegans make up about 1% of the UK population. That figure has remained almost static over the years, belying their vociferousness. The reality is that there are far more ex-vegans, or “recovering” vegans in these isles than practising ones.
This year, an interesting fissure in the vegan movement emerged: vegans and “ultra-vegans”. The latter term was coined by the environmental campaigner Chris Packham.
“The people I call ultra-vegans just want to stop all meat consumption overnight. But that would be no good for meat farmers. It would be no good for our landscapes, where low-intensity, good-quality animal husbandry and livestock farming are actually good for biodiversity.”
So the language around Veganuary is softening somewhat. An open letter, organised by the Veganuary Association and signed by celebs, such as Alan Cumming and Paul McCartney, states: “We cannot tackle climate change while we farm and eat animals on an industrial scale”.
This is a shift from more heated rhetoric in previous years that condemned all livestock production indiscriminately, as if crofter-reared Shetland lamb was no different from fast food beef from a dusty US feedlot.
So if I get into discussion with someone contemplating becoming vegan, I’ll be asking them to mull over these thoughts before adopting this extreme approach.
I’d first see if they have read The Vegetarian Myth, by the Canadian author Lierre Keith. She was a vegan for over 20 years, believing this diet would honour animals, feed the hungry, and save the planet. Now she believes veganism “is one part cult, one part eating disorder”, and that it “destroyed her body”.
She recounts how her fervent ideological determination blinded her to early warning signs, such as missed periods. She describes how she has been left with irreversible spine disease, gut problems, pain and more.
She includes depression and anxiety in this tally, which thankfully alleviated substantially once she jumped off the vegan wagon.
“You don’t have to try this for yourself. You’re allowed to learn from my mistakes”, she urges would-be vegan recruits.
Over 100 startling pages Keith details the nutritional reasons why sustained veganism is no formula for human health. Even those who refuse to read it would be advised to skim it, if only to learn what daily supplements they will need to prevent their bodies becoming gravely deficient in macro- and micro-nutrients that are essential for good health.
I’d also ask provisional vegans to consider what food our land is best at producing. Scotland is world famous not for soya, corn, legumes, and other vegan staples, but for our cattle breeds, such as Aberdeen Angus for meat, and Ayrshire for milk.
Why? They reflect our agricultural strengths, within natural biological and climactic limits. A vegan diet asks you to cold-shoulder the foods we farm most effortlessly, which seems daft.
To those attracted to veganism because it is supposedly “death-free”, I’d say think again.
All agriculture involves bloody animal death, it’s just that when it comes to plant food, the casualties of the combine harvester and sprayer are smaller: voles, worms, field mice, birds, bees, the list goes on.
Carry out a wildlife audit of permanent grassland with grazing animals, and fields for crops, you’ll find that the former always tops the latter. And from where, without the biological life introduced into soil by livestock manures, would the fertility needed to grow solely plant foods come? Fertilisers made from fossil fuels, is the answer.
My parting shot would be food quality. Acquaint yourself with the ingredients list of Oatly plain “Oatgurt”, for instance, priced at £5.50 a kilo. The first ingredient is cheap water, then we drop down to oats at 12%, followed by potato starch, rapeseed oil, modified potato starch, oat fibre, potato protein, malic and lactic acids, calcium carbonate, calcium phosphate, salt, synthetic vitamins, and potassium iodide.
Thanks but no thanks. I’ll stick with real yoghurt made from the milk of real cows – or goats, or sheep, or buffalo.
Forget Veganuary, I’m trying out Regenuary: basing my meals on the foods that are produced here, using regenerative farming methods that improve the environment, not trash it.
That’s the truly progressive food goal for thinking omnivores.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news...ating-disorder/
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jan-12-21, 12:02

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I am envious of their dedication, though. You'd never hear a vegetarian laugh and "confess" that he/she cheated and ate a pork chop the night before!

My pet peeve (does PETA say it's ok to have a peeve as a pet?) with these people is that when you go to their house, they make a vegetarian meal and make no accommodation for guests who eat meat. BUT, if they come to your house, you're expected to accommodate their way of eating. And heaven forbid that you forgot and put some bacon bits in the dip. Horrors!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jan-22-21, 10:37

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BawdyWench
I am envious of their dedication, though. You'd never hear a vegetarian laugh and "confess" that he/she cheated and ate a pork chop the night before!

Because they lie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BawdyWench
My pet peeve (does PETA say it's ok to have a peeve as a pet?) with these people is that when you go to their house, they make a vegetarian meal and make no accommodation for guests who eat meat. BUT, if they come to your house, you're expected to accommodate their way of eating. And heaven forbid that you forgot and put some bacon bits in the dip. Horrors!

PETA is a scam. I don't know a single rescue person who doesn't spit on the ground (at least, metaphorically) when the name comes up.

And yes, as someone who will suffer severe pain if I get glutened, I find the vegan fussiness (has this pan ever touched meat!?!?!) really annoying. Even Jewish housewives who keep kosher know there's ways of "cleansing" pans and utensils.