Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#286   ^
Old Tue, Jul-13-21, 19:43

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BawdyWench
Oh, and no bibliography. He says it's online. That's a cop-out. I don't want to read the book and have to be next to my computer to check references.
I hate when they throw stuff out with no visible means of support.
Sponsored Links
  #287   ^
Old Wed, Jul-14-21, 04:29

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

He said adding the references would add 70 pages of weight and $$. Other science books do the same, think Robb Wolf did years ago. The references can even be updated as new info is published.

And bonus…without buying the book at all…the science references are freely available to anyone…by "phrase capture". https://robertlustig.com/metabolical/
  #288   ^
Old Wed, Jul-14-21, 07:10

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Good point, Janet. I hadn't thought about it that way.
  #289   ^
Old Fri, Jul-16-21, 08:02

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
Excellent review, Bawdy. I'm no longer intrigued by this title. There's a long line of people who claim certain foods are unhealthy; yet, offer no real solution. The recommendation of the Mediterranean diet is humorous, as it can be interpreted in so many ways that for me don't work at all. My conclusion is it too often represents the general recommendation today by those who aren't able to be clear or specific about what constitutes healthy food consumption. As for the recommendation of fiber, that's been a common, and for many, ineffective guideline for a long time.

Quoting myself here to clarify my comment: Lustig does great work and his campaign against sugar consumption and the dangers of processed food must be recognized and lauded. I sometimes have to remind myself that this forum is populated by those who are far more knowledgeable than most regarding healthy dietary practices and nutrient optimization. Given these facts, Lustig's book, Metabolical should be required reading for the all who require food to survive . . . especially those in the health care and medical communities, particularly GPs and RDs. I think it's an excellent foundational piece to provide an improved understanding of the power of food (including anything masquerading as food) to both harm and help extend the quality of life depending on the foods consumed. The food industry won't help here, as these companies have demonstrated expertise at skirting and exposing flaws in the guidelines to manufacture foods that are considered "heart healthy" or "plant based" while slowly leading down the path to metabolic catastrophe.
  #290   ^
Old Mon, Jul-19-21, 04:21

A tangential 8 minute video by Dr Doug McGuff, Body by Science, about why his favorite health books are now self-published, which then segways into a short review of The P:E Diet.
https://youtu.be/oMmeZnk7Oa8

I have to agree, the two books I use most now are The P:E Diet and Marty Kendall’s, Big Fat Keto Lies. https://optimisingnutrition.com/big...s-introduction/

This video is more than a year old. The gum road website was where to buy the book before Amazon and the YouTube address doesn’t work for me but there are many Ted Naiman videos to find on YT with a search, or look back through the thread here. https://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=138
  #291   ^
Old Fri, Jul-23-21, 03:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
…..meanwhile my attention has been grabbed by Eat Like the Animals.

https://www.amazon.com/Eat-Like-Ani...e/dp/0358561892

Drs. Raubenheimer and Simpson are the two biologists, who through a study of locust feeding behaviors, and follow-on human studies, developed the Protein Leverage Hypothesis. Dr Ted Naiman and Marty Kendall base much of their popular diet strategies on this theory. The book makes a very clear case for the importance of protein in a narrow % of total calories, and the human need to overeat fat and carbs to get it that amount. Funny, compelling, I love the writing.

Book Review: https://optimisingnutrition.com/eat...ist/#more-19959

A one hour podcast interview with them https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podca...i=1000525429669

Episode #76 on the DietDoctor videos is on my feed this morning (I think only for members) But within a few days, it should be published for non-members too in your podcast store and YT.

Quote:
Diet Doctor Podcast #76: Protein leverage with Professors Raubenheimer and Simpson According to some evidence, eating enough protein may be the key to solving our obesity epidemic. But if too little protein is harmful, does that mean more is usually better? The answer is not so clear, and it makes for a fascinating discussion!
  #292   ^
Old Fri, Nov-05-21, 02:53

Not low-carb per se, but a new book by the author of the Dorito Effect. Review from yesterday’s Wall Street Journal. The End of Craving. Overcoming the result of this manipulation by the food industry is a core of Marty Kendall's optimizing nutrition plan, And Dr. Ted Naiman's avoid the trifecta advice.

https://www.msn.com/fr-xl/afrique-d...-one/ar-AAQjlcR

Also Dr. Malcolm Kendrick's book on the cause of heart disease, the Clot Thickens is summarized with a blog post from him in the heart disease forum. https://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=474768

If you don’t already have the P:E diet book, it appears Diet Doctor and Dr. Tad Naiman are still offering the e-book at 50% off. ($10). This plan is in the semi low-carb forum, but the plan is flexible, With a focus on whole food nutrition and avoiding the fat and carb combination in processed food. Link in last paragraph of this excellent article:

How and why to eat more protein

https://www.dietdoctor.com/high-pro...at-more-protein

Last edited by JEY100 : Fri, Nov-05-21 at 03:03.
  #293   ^
Old Mon, Nov-22-21, 06:05

Our library finally purchased The New Mediterranean Cookbook, after budget delays.

https://www.amazon.com/New-Mediterr...y/dp/1589239911

If you are interested in improving the nutrition in your "Keto"/Low Carb diet, this is a good place to start. It analyzes recipes with consideration for the Omega 3/6 fats, dominant vitamins and minerals, etc. If you are interested in the Optimising Nutrition course, https://optimisingnutrition.com/
but afraid it might be overwhelming (still is for me , though in 2022 it will be 2 three week courses ) some of these recipes are a perfect intro.

Quote:
The New Mediterranean Diet Cookbook is your guidebook to the ultimate superdiet, an evidence-based keto diet that emphasizes a diversity of fish, healthy fats, and a rainbow of colorful vegetables—with 100 delicious recipes for everything from snacks to dinner.

The Mediterranean diet has long been touted as one of the world’s healthiest diets, renowned for its protective effects against heart disease, cancer, and other chronic illnesses. However, its heavy inclusion of grains and carbohydrates can contribute to obesity and is a drawback for many. Also shown to have many health benefits, the ketogenic diet stimulates the fat-burning and longevity-promoting state of ketosis by limiting carbs and emphasizing high-fat foods.

While the keto diet is about the proportion of macronutrients (fats, protein, carbohydrates) in the food you eat, the Mediterranean diet is about specific food types: seafood, olive oil, colorful vegetables, and other anti-inflammatory foods. This book is about living and eating at the intersection of these complementary diets so you can reap the benefits of both. While both diets advocate significant amounts of healthy fats and protein, the new Mediterranean approach to keto significantly shifts the fat profile of the diet to emphasize the monounsaturated and omega-3 fats that health experts agree promote living a long disease-free life. It also includes colorful vegetables, providing a diversity of nutrients and flavor.

The result is an enhanced Mediterranean diet that stokes metabolism, supports the gut and microbiome, and is anti-inflammatory, anti-aging, and nutrient-dense.
  #294   ^
Old Sat, Apr-09-22, 07:32

I haven’t posted here in five months! And I have read many nutrition books in that time, but hearing now about the new AARP diet book that was published last month. The Whole Body Reset, and except for using grains to get "fiber" it is not bad. All weight loss tips here: https://www.aarp.org/health/healthy...eight-loss.html

To lose a few more pounds I pick lower fat dairy, but think adding dairy in general has been beneficial (maybe my gut microbiome is happier?) The general advice for older people to eat 30 G protein at each meal
, especially the first meal (Prof Don Layman's studies) is getting more press. Dr Ted Naiman's The P:E Diet lead the way about prioritizing protein, but the authors' photos may not appeal to the average senior Good that mainstream media has a protein focus book for seniors now, there is long wait list for this book at our library. (Since it is an AARP publication and pricey)

For Everything you Ever Wanted to Know about Glucose, meal timing, and time restricted eating (not long fasts) check out the FREE new edition of Data Driven Fasting. It is only a few pages shy of 200 pages now. New information from the past two years of challenges. You can learn about DDF or join the challenge that starts today or simply get your free DDF Manual through a link at bottom of: https://optimisingnutrition.com/wha...1-2/#more-23088

Last edited by JEY100 : Sat, Apr-09-22 at 10:12.
  #295   ^
Old Tue, Jun-07-22, 03:06

Dr William Davis has a new book, titled Super-Gut. The diet portion is a general guideline, as this plan is more focused on reprogramming your microbiome, restoring health, and losing weight. There are recent posts about it in the IBS thread, starting at post #21. https://forum.lowcarber.org/showthr...274#post9429274

He still supports carbohydrate restriction for weight loss, as superior to low fat diets, but warns not to go so low carb (carnivore, 20g total, etc) that your diet foregoes the nutrients and fiber in vegetables to support gut diversity. He specifically mentions a bacterial species that "eats mucous", the protective gut lining, if the food it needs is not provided, leading to "leaky gut". It is a Detailed book about what we know and don’t about the microbes within us, how to support them, with fermented foods you can make yourself.

Since I changed to Dr Naiman's P:E Diet and Marty Kendall's Optimising Nutrition almost two years ago now, I already had seen improvements, but this book explained in detail why it works, why I feel better, and how adding specific strains may improve my digestion, BG, and weight loss even more.

Last edited by JEY100 : Tue, Jun-07-22 at 03:11.
  #296   ^
Old Thu, Jun-09-22, 04:19

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 250/167/175 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%

I agree with you Jey
Dr Davis book explains the whys and hows
I appreciate his thoroughness
and am trying to follow his regimen
  #297   ^
Old Fri, Jul-01-22, 03:29

Still somewhat in the gut, and deeply into using your glucose readings to optimize food choices, our library ordered the new book from Instagram popularized The Glucose Goddess, titled Glucose Revolution.

Marty Kendall has already written a review with a good explanation of how her tips work: https://optimisingnutrition.com/rev...lucose-goddess/
What you could do even better with pre-meal BG, what's good and not so with her use of a glucose meter.

You can find book reviews with her ten "hacks", the NY Post titled theirs, Enjoy carbs and lose weight with these hacks from the Glucose Goddess". So some similarities to Dr Naiman and. Marty Kendall by being a more moderate carb diet with timing and order of food choices involved.

Last edited by JEY100 : Fri, Jul-01-22 at 04:44.
  #298   ^
Old Thu, Jul-07-22, 20:37

Plan: my own way...
Stats: 300/292/169 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 6%

Dana Carpenter's Low Carb books have been wonderful over the years.
  #299   ^
Old Fri, Jul-08-22, 05:49

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by gawdess
Dana Carpenter's Low Carb books have been wonderful over the years.

It's Dana Carpender, just so people can find it easily. DH's grandmother's Egg & Olive Salad made it into her second book of recipes!

And she's funny. That's always a valuable quality in a writer
  #300   ^
Old Sun, Aug-14-22, 03:17

Amazon:
Quote:

Today only: Today only: Top titles that read Great. Kindle books can be read on iPad, iPhone, and Android devices with free Kindle reading apps, as well as Kindle devices.

The Health, Mind, Body section has some new and classic low carb/health books:
Deep Nutrition - Dr Shanahan. $2.99
Drop Acid - Dr Perlmutter
Unlocking Keto Code - Dr Guidry
Metabolical - Dr Lustig. $1.99
…and more