Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Quick Meals & Snacks
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Nov-30-19, 11:06

Plan: Low Carb/High Fat
Stats: 271/262.6/170 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 8%
Post Chaffles recipes thread

Can we have a thread for Chaffles recipes? (Please add your own.)

A chaffle is a low-carb / keto friendly waffle made of one scrambled egg and a sprinkling of shredded cheese, which is the standard 'base' recipe. You will need a mini personal waffle maker, which you can find at amazon for about $10 shipped. I just got mine and made my first chaffle and OMG I am hooked now!

To make the original chaffle, you need only 2 ingredients: About one ounce of your preferred shredded cheese, and one egg, beaten. Heat up your mini waffle machine and spray it with oil when it is hot. Sprinkle on half of your shredded cheese onto the griddle. (This layer of cheese on each side, which touches the hot griddle, is what gives it a crunchy finish, YUM!) Pour in the beaten egg. Sprinkle on remaining cheese and close the lid. You'll know it's ready when there is a brown crispy look to it. That's it! Make 2 and you have 'bread' for whatever you like!

I'm thinking of all of the different kinds of chaffles we we can make, from savory 'breads' to sweet desserts. They make a great piece of 'bread' for just about anything. BLT's, Ham Sandwiches, Burgers.... even as just a sweet dessert item, like cinnamon sugar chaffles. Chaffle-churros!

So here goes:

Pumpkin Chaffles: (Makes 2 chaffles)

1/2 oz Cream cheese
1 large Egg
1/2 cup Mozzarella cheese (shredded)
2 tbsp Pumpkin puree
2 1/2 tbsp Erythritol
3 tsp Coconut flour
1/2 tbsp Pumpkin pie spice
1/2 tsp Vanilla extract (optional)
1/4 tsp Baking powder (optional)

Mix everything together. Heat up your waffle maker, and spray it with oil after it's hot. Pour in half the ingredients. When no more steam comes out, it's done. Continue with remaining batter. That's it!

Garlic Parmesan Chaffles:

1/2 cup Mozzarella cheese (shredded)
1/3 cup Grated Parmesan cheese
1 large Egg
1 clove Garlic (minced; or use 1/2 clove for milder garlic flavor)
1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
1/4 tsp Baking powder (optional)

Mix everything together and pour into hot waffle griddle that you have sprayed with oil.

Chocolate Oreo Chaffles

INGREDIENTS

1 Egg
1 1/2 tbsp Unsweetened Cocoa
2 tbsp sf sweetener
1 tbsp Heavy Cream
1 tsp Coconut Flour
1/2 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Vanilla

FILLING

Whipped Cream made by mixing some heavy whipping cream which you've added your favorite sweetener to. Make 2 chocolate chaffles and spread this inside like a giant Oreo, or just make 1 chaffle and top it with this whipped filling.

Last edited by Molly B : Sat, Nov-30-19 at 11:12.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Nov-30-19, 12:44

Plan: My own
Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%

For those who might perhaps already own a regular waffle iron may I say that you don't "need" a mini. Cheap yes, but another gadget that one perhaps doesn't want. You can make 2 "mini", albeit irregular shaped, by just pouring half the batter in the middle. Or, as I have done, pour the whole lot in at once, and make one large one. Regular waffles have divisions anyway for breaking them apart, if desired. Of course, in this house I am the only one who would such a thing, as DH doesn't "do" cheese, so irregularities are only a concern if I make them so. :-)
As to recipes, I am thinking of using a savory chaffle as a base for leftover Thanksgiving bird (duck, in this instance) in mushroom gravy
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Nov-30-19, 14:50

BF:

My husband doesn't eat cheese either. Or much meat. Or yogurt. OR ricotta, cream cheese, sour cream, bacon, and so he's not dieting with me. Makes this more challenging.

But you are right-- you can certainly use a regular sized waffle iron. I mean, break it into 4 pieces and save 2 in a ziploc. Who cares if your sandwich (or whatever) isn't round? LOL Why not add a little geometry into the recipe? LOL. I just happened to want the mini waffle maker, since it's only me doing this WOE. And also, I am spending half of my time at my mom's, taking care of her after some back surgeries, and I come home for a couple of days and have to go back. So the mini waffle maker fits easily into my backpack, for transporting it back and forth.

I'm going to go heat up some leftovers and have a late lunch and make some kind of cheesy, garlicky chaffle to go with it.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Nov-30-19, 16:09

BF:

Molly, I didn't mean to disparage anyone for getting one, only wanted to point out that it isn't absolutely necessary. Your reasons for getting one are perfectly valid. Heck, just wanting one is perfectly valid! They are very cute :-)
And reading your DH's list of can't/won't haves, I have to say that my guy's dislike of cheese is easy in comparison.
Best of luck on your forward journey.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Dec-02-19, 09:41

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbena
Molly, I didn't mean to disparage anyone for getting one, only wanted to point out that it isn't absolutely necessary.

Hi Verbena, oh goodness, no offense taken! I certainly wasn't upset with your comment. And now I am so sorry if my reply came off as snarky! I'm sorry you thought I was miffed!! I definitely wasn't. I think I was just rambling on about the mini waffle maker, and how the small one works for me, since I'm having to spend a lot of time at mom's, taking care of her, and traveling back and forth. I always have to get a ride, since I'm legally blind and have never been able to drive. It's a HUGE inconvenience, and so having a mini machine is great-- I pretty much keep a backpack packed and ready to go, back and forth.... and I had just gotten my mini, and am in love with it. I finally can make 'buns' for a burger!

I'm sorry if you thought I was being rude. My apologies! *I remember your name from years ago, it's so great to see you here, and some of the others are still here too. You guys helped me SO much in the past. And I certainly appreciate everyone's help, and patience! AND support. :-D

OgreZed, wow, you have got this chaffle making down to a SCIENCE! I would have never thought of putting my machine on my scale and watching for the number to go down. I have only read that when there is no more steam coming out, it's done. I am impressed! I am going to try your scale method. I'm pretty obsessed with weighing everything anyways-- so how cool is YOUR method? VERY cool! And thank you so much for those links. I am going to check them out right now and bookmark them. One can never have too many wonderful resources to turn to for help and inspiration and ideas. Thank you!!
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Mar-14-20, 17:18

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbena
Your reasons for getting one are perfectly valid. Heck, just wanting one is perfectly valid! They are very cute :-)

They are cute - which is why I finally got one. It's a very retro-looking green. And small enough for my small kitchen.

Anyway - I'm going to buy some mozzarella today to try the basic chaffle with lc clam chowder tomorrow (also an experiment). The recipes all say to spray the maker with oil before cooking. It's got a non-stick surface - does it really need spraying? And I only have oil in bottles - I'd have to buy the spray. If I need to do that, is there such a thing as olive oil spray?
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Mar-14-20, 17:29

Plan: Keto
Stats: 650/470/240 Male 6'5"
BF:
Progress: 44%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie OFS
The recipes all say to spray the maker with oil before cooking. It's got a non-stick surface - does it really need spraying? And I only have oil in bottles - I'd have to buy the spray. If I need to do that, is there such a thing as olive oil spray?

I've not needed to spray if I layer cheese+beaten egg+cheese, as the cheese has enough fat in it to stop it from sticking.

However, I do use my coconut spray when I used a batter, as I've had problems when I've not sprayed. It's not that it sticks so much, but that it doesn't easily come out in one piece.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Mar-14-20, 17:31

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by OgreZed
I've not needed to spray if I layer cheese+beaten egg+cheese, as the cheese has enough fat in it to stop it from sticking.

However, I do use my coconut spray when I used a batter, as I've had problems when I've not sprayed. It's not that it sticks so much, but that it doesn't easily come out in one piece.

Thanks! I'll look for coconut spray as I was planning on doing a batter recipe.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Nov-30-19, 21:59

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Chaffles have been teasing me... thought the mini waffle iron was a must , so..... THRILLED to learn reg is just fine. happy dance.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Dec-01-19, 11:46

BF:

For me, chaffles are a game-changer. They're great savory. Or sweet. And work well as bread or a bun. The basic recipe is 1 egg and 1/2 cup of shredded cheese, which would make two chaffles.

Check out the technique in this video

The Serious Keto YouTube channel has many videos with chaffle variations

My Chaffle Tools

To make my chaffles consistently, I put the mini-waffle maker on my kitchen scale and then do:

* 10 grams of shredded cheese
* 25 grams of beaten egg (or batter)
* 10 grams of shredded cheese

The cheese on the top and the bottom helps to keep the chaffles firm and crispy. And no overflow of contents making a mess because I eyeballed the amount of filling incorrectly. Oh, and don't stack the chaffles if you make a number of them. It keeps the heat within them and makes them soft. I see some videos where they put them individually on a cooling rack. That helps the cheese crisp up as the chaffle cools.

The fun thing is watching the weight go down as the chaffle cooks, as water leaves as steam. When it hits 40 grams of weight, I know the chaffle is done.

I bought this shaker bottle, so I can do a lot of eggs (or batter) at once, to store in the fridge so it's ready to go. With my method of creating the chaffles, it's much easier to dispense 25 grams of egg/batter out of that shaker cup.

I've tried a number of different recipes, but I keep coming back to the basic recipe above. It's savory if I spread some Jalapeno cream cheese on it. Or sweet if I top it with SF maple syrup. I tried making some churro chaffles at one point, making a special batter, but I didn't care for them. It turned out much better to just do the basic recipe and then cut into strips and toss into a Ziploc bag of granulated sweetener and cinnamon. MUCH better.

I typically use an Italian blend shredded cheese. But if I'm doing savory, I might go for a sharp cheddar.

I haven't tried it yet, but the latest version is a "Wonder Bread" chaffle:

https://www.copymethat.com/r/xHZoi0...-bread-revision

I even saw a recipe with a sourdough flavoring added.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Dec-01-19, 11:47

BF:

BTW, this Reddit thread has a "cheat sheet" with a number of chaffle recipes:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Chaffles/c...le_cheat_sheet/
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Dec-02-19, 10:30

BF:

Molly, no problem. I wasn't offended; you weren't offended. All is good. I think that's neat that you are thinking ahead when you go to your mom's. Now, if it were me, I probably wouldn't get beyond a hunk of cheese & a piece of salami! :-)
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Dec-03-19, 06:01

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 197/180/160 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 46%

Instead of the flat chaffle, I opted for the bowl chaffle maker. All of the egg batter goes in at once. I like to add sundried tomatoes. The bowl is folded for sandwiches and hot dogs. Of course, here in Mexico, we like tacos, fajitas and taco salad. The bowl is perfect for these also.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Dec-03-19, 06:10
Registered Member

Plan: KetoCarnivore
Stats: 206.6/178/160 Female 5'7
BF:awesome
Progress: 61%

i just got a container of pimento cheese..
has anyone tried using it? any thoughts about using it?
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Dec-03-19, 09:55

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyvmx
Instead of the flat chaffle, I opted for the bowl chaffle maker. All of the egg batter goes in at once. I like to add sundried tomatoes. The bowl is folded for sandwiches and hot dogs. Of course, here in Mexico, we like tacos, fajitas and taco salad. The bowl is perfect for these also.

There is a waffle machine that makes a BOWL shape?? I've never seen this. Can you provide a link at amazon or somewhere? Where can I get one? I was thinking about tacos too. Thanks Sunnyvmx!