Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, Feb-15-20, 06:55

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I've read so often over the years that people over 50, especially women over 50, need more protein than they do earlier in life because they begin to not metabolize it as well. Further, I've read that women over 50 actually need MORE protein than men over 50. Naiman and Eades have been recommended higher protein amounts for women, especially.

When I was in my late 50s, I had a NutrEval test done on stool samples that showed I was almost at the level of malnutrition because my body wasn't able to use most of the nutrients that I was eating. Protein, especially, was not being metabolized. They told me to take in a lot more protein, take probiotics, and take digestive enzymes with every meal. It helped, but for some stupid reason I stopped doing that and have trouble getting on the regimen again.

Granted, I was a lot younger then, but in the late 1990s when I discovered low-carb eating by way of Dr. Eades and Protein Power, I dropped pounds effortlessly by cutting the carbs (obviously) and upping the protein to around 100 - 120 grams per day. Whenever I started gaining again, I'd use the same formula and the weight would come off, albeit more slowly each time.

Now, "nothing" seems to be working for me. That's why I'm looking forward to having more time in the immediate future to get down to basics. I want to follow Naiman's protocol and be the responsible adult I've always dreamed of being and take the probiotics and digestive enzymes every single day.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, Feb-15-20, 07:55

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nrracing
Fasting is what you should look into, not only for weight loss but health.

Thanks. Most days I have an eating window from noon to 6:00 pm, so I do intermittent fasting. I've tried going longer than that, but end up feeling nauseated and lousy. Thanks for the tip, though!
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Feb-15-20, 12:27

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie OFS
Low carbing diabetics have a problem with that. My bg numbers got a lot better when I cut down on protein.

That's true and something to keep in mind as we compare stories here. My post was merely to point out that I do better with increased protein. My own N=1.
  #19   ^
Old Sat, Feb-15-20, 12:41

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
That's true and something to keep in mind as we compare stories here. My post was merely to point out that I do better with increased protein. My own N=1.

Yep - me too. N=1 is always something to pay attention to!

I always bring up the difference between normal people & diabetics because I didn't understand it for so long. Just trying to help other diabetics who might otherwise mistake advice for normals as being good for us, too.
  #20   ^
Old Sat, Feb-15-20, 12:49

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

I'm glad, as I'm learning as well, and to your point, others can benefit from the experiences and info we share.
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Feb-17-20, 21:16

Plan: Carb reduction in general
Stats: 230/185/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

Hey, any super smart people around with any idea if the problem Dr. Eades described with polyunsaturated fats would also occur with monounsaturated fats? I don't know enough chemistry to tell but wondering. Have observed I don't feel as satiated with olive oil as I do more saturated dairy cream so curious.
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Feb-18-20, 07:49

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
I always bring up the difference between normal people & diabetics because I didn't understand it for so long. Just trying to help other diabetics who might otherwise mistake advice for normals as being good for us, too.

It's very good to know! For one thing, there's less leeway, since the body has already sent up a "distress signal."

I was very concerned about my family history (Type II on both sides) and as soon as my A1C began creeping up, and low carb appeared; Dr. Atkins gave me hope. THEN I read Dr. Bernstein's book, and if that won't scare you straight...
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Feb-18-20, 07:58

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
THEN I read Dr. Bernstein's book, and if that won't scare you straight...

AMEN! His Diabetes Solution got me going in the right direction. And to think - I never would have read it had not a friend kept bugging me to read it. Annoying as heck - but I've told her many times since that I'm grateful for her constant nudging.
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Feb-19-20, 00:35

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 228/195/188 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 83%

Zei -- Eades is saying that beta oxidation of MUFA wth one double bond per molecule lowers FADH2 a bit compared to oxidation of completely saturated fat, but not as much as oxidation of PUFA with 2 or more double bonds. Each double bond loses 2 hydrogen atoms with their single proton and electron. So MUFA lowers the FADH2/NADH ratio but not as much as PUFA. Saturated fat with no double bonds generates more FADH2 and more reverse electron transport and more ROS and more fat cell insulin resistance. MUFA generates less reverse electron transport and PUFA generates none. So your fat cells stop accepting fat more quickly when eating saturated fats, more slowly with MUFA, and never with PUFA.

So eating MUFA (oleic acid, olive oil) might not satiate your cells as quickly as eating saturated fat, but isn't as bad as PUFA (seed/vegetable oils).

When I took organic chemistry I learned nothing useful about fats until I read Mary Enig's "Know your Fats" which I recommend. One interesting thing I did learn was that your liver quickly makes saturated fat out of excess carbs (I guess your liver thinks saturated fat is safer than excess carbs) and that it can put a double bond at the #9 carbon from the N-terminal end of the sat fat molecule, changing the new molecule from sat fat to MUFA. But it can't make PUFA, it can't put a double bond at the #3 or #6 carbon(omega-3 and omega-6 fats). But you need a little of each so you have to eat them, therefore they're called the essential fatty acids.
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Feb-19-20, 21:45

Plan: Carb reduction in general
Stats: 230/185/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

Thanks for the info!
  #26   ^
Old Thu, Feb-20-20, 11:21

Plan: Custom 22/2 Clean Fast
Stats: 290/258/210 Male 72.5
BF:
Progress: 40%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BawdyWench
Thanks. Most days I have an eating window from noon to 6:00 pm, so I do intermittent fasting. I've tried going longer than that, but end up feeling nauseated and lousy. Thanks for the tip, though!

It takes a while, and I think you can get there. we are all different. I do normal 23-25 hour fast. I need to go back to 19/5. I like to switch back and forth so my body does not get used to things.
  #27   ^
Old Tue, Mar-10-20, 12:54

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Low carbing diabetics have a problem with that. My bg numbers got a lot better when I cut down on protein.
Ditto, my BG numbers go up considerably too when I try to increase my protein much. It tends to stay "naturally" in the 20% of my macros range. I tried pushing to the Naiman-recommended 30% but it hasn't gone well for me.