Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Ireland
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Sep-07-04, 09:44

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/150/130 Female 5 ft 3 in
BF:
Progress:
Default Beware of O'Brien's!

I was in town today, and I noticed O'Brien's sandwich shop had a poster advertising a new low carb range. So, I thought I'd treat myself.
I went in, and was given a low carb menu with about 6 items on it - no carb counts given. I ordered the chicken and roasted veg wrap, asked what the carb count was - the girl said she didn't know. Another girl said she would ring and find out (??). I said ok, and I'll have the sandwich. First, the girl lift a wrap from a pile (didn't say low carb, and looked like an ordinary tortilla.) I said, are you sure thats low carb? She replied - yes, its a tortilla. Hmmm. Then she slathered in a tomato sauce (out of another unmarked pot - I'm worried now). She puts on chicken - well, thats ok. Then onions, a kidney bean and sweetcorn salad, lettuce, and then picks up a bottle of HONEY and lemon dressing - at this point I stop her. After a short discussion I established that the tortilla was just a plain tortilla, the tomato sauce had sugar (as did the honey dressing) and well, beans, corn and onion aren't exactly low carb. The only thing low carb was the chicken and the lettuce!
I didn't get annoyed - just pointed out to the girl that it wasn't low carb in the slightest. The other girl came off the phone and said the carb count was unknown as it varied according to the sandwich maker! Well, umm, thats helpful. I told them to keep the sandwich, and I'd be writing to head office. They looked at me like I was some kind of nut. We've got a long way to go regarding low carb in Ireland!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Sep-07-04, 09:52

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 187/166/143 Female 173cm
BF:
Progress: 48%

I think some shops are just trying to follow the band wagon without really knowing what the story is. The wrap was possibly lower in carbs than their other products, but not really low carb ;-)

Hopefully with time they will learn - and with a hearty letter to Head Office - they might learn a little bit faster ;-)
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Sep-29-04, 12:37
Champagne Paulie

Plan: My Fitness Pal
Stats: 156.2/123.8/120 Female 5 ft 4 ins
BF:Got some, thanks
Progress: 90%
Smile

Hi Glastocat,Thanks for pointing that out. we have a few O'Briens in Newcastle so I'll bear that in mind. There again, it has to be less carbs than the normal sandwiches, have you seen the thickness of the bread?