Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Fibromyalgia, CFS, S.A.D.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jun-02-05, 11:03
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%
Question Something my mother told me

My mom said that her Doctor told her that her Fibromyalgia came from her ADHD! That the same imbalance of ADHD also creats Fibromyalgia with older women. Is this true?!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jun-02-05, 13:00
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

hi Kassie,

I've also read some theories that the two may be linked. Not that one condition "causes" the other, but that there's a possible overlap between the two. Not everyone with fibro has ADD, and not everyone with ADD has fibro.

You might find this article interesting .. ADD/ADHD and Fibromyalgia (FMS): Where Is the Connection?

Doreen
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jun-07-05, 12:35

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 310/259/180 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 39%

What is ADHD?
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jun-07-05, 13:41
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SadLady
What is ADHD?

Attention Defiicit Disorder ... or ..... Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder

hth

Doreen
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Apr-14-07, 20:09

Plan: Healthy moderate carb
Stats: 215/171/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 80%

I'm sorry thats a crock-my son was diagnosed with ADHD at age 3 and I have researched for years. The frontal lobe section of the brain is affected in ADHD-actually the same section as those with Tourettes. Decreased activity in this area can be charted with medical tests. Hence some of the symptoms of ADHD such as blurting out whatever they are thinking, impusivities,activities like "air drumming" are somewhat similiar to Tourettes.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, May-04-07, 08:10

Stats: 234/214/170 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 31%

lisabinil,

My daughter was diagnosed with ADHD at 21 (last spring). Since she has gotten help, she is passing her college work.

Her Dr. said many of the things you have mentioned. I would love to hear more from you.

And, a word on the possible fibro connection, ADHD folks complain of aches and pains a great deal Real and imagined. I don't know what that means to this discussion but I am throwing it out there.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, May-05-07, 12:28

BF:

I haven't seen a person with fibro who is hyper yet LOL! Fatigue is probably the major complaint of fibro. My son recently went thru puberty at age 13 and had a complete meds change from Adderall to Concerta. It has definitely been an interesting ride with this disorder but he has learned to deal with it so far. Is your daughter on the hyper side or the attention deficit side?
  #8   ^
Old Sat, May-05-07, 15:03

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 179/179/145 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisabinil
I'm sorry thats a crock-my son was diagnosed with ADHD at age 3 and I have researched for years. The frontal lobe section of the brain is affected in ADHD-actually the same section as those with Tourettes. Decreased activity in this area can be charted with medical tests. Hence some of the symptoms of ADHD such as blurting out whatever they are thinking, impusivities,activities like "air drumming" are somewhat similiar to Tourettes.

Thread jack here , sorry. But wouldnt mind talking further about ADHD with anyone . My son haS ADHD , but he had been diagnosted with chronic tic disorder due to anxiety first( which is just one step below Tourettes cuz ther was no vocalizations. Then when all his other symptoms developed worse when he started school , I had to push further. Long story short , he has ADHD , my family doctor was afraid to give him medicine because of the tics. Since some of the ADHD drugs cause tics.

Guess what.......my sons tics stopped . He used to have them all day , more at school than home ( anxiety......but also over stimulation from fun).
Ever since his ADHD medicine started!!! He will have an occasional tic maybe once ever 2 months or so. Its awsome.

Now , back to the thread. I never heard a comparison between ADHD & Fibro. I have a freind with that , I will have to ask her . I will also be reading that link.

Thanks for listening to my thread jack , and again Im sorry.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, May-06-07, 06:03

BF:

My daughter is considered the "hyper" ADHD. The reason seemed to be fidgeting. She seems calm on the surface but she is always picking at her fingers, jiggling a leg, etc. The big element for diagnostic purposes was that while being tested, if she began to pick at her fingers, she forgot the question. Some correlation between focusing on that little piece of skin on her finger or focusing on a test question.

I wouldn't have guessed the hyper part although she loves her ballet. She loves the body in motion - graceful motion.

My daughter complains of her body aching all the time. She complains of being tired all the time. I need to look it up, but both tendencies were in her diagnosis as part of the symptoms usually expressed.

Strattera was our first med. We got a quick no from the Dr. after trying it.

Now a very low dose of Wellbutrin is working. She seems like herself - that is no personality change is evident. No appetite or sleep pattern changes. But, like I said the dose is very low.

She is in a more vocational program at a community college What a change in her self image.

My daughter's food preference is always starch. Sugar with starch or butter with starch, but starch.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, May-06-07, 19:53

BF:

She should go for allergy tests also-you'd be surprised at the findings. I myself have very small allergies to yeast,chocolate and milk and a large one to dust mites. Severe allergies can affect some people with hyperactive behaviours. I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia in 05 by the Mayo Clinic and I have never had and am definitely not hyper or have ADHD.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, May-07-07, 07:31

BF:

Food allergies run in my side of the family. In a big way.

That has been checked throughout her childhood.

thanks though
  #12   ^
Old Mon, May-07-07, 07:37

BF:

I kind of jumped into this discussion because of the reference to Attention Deficit not the fibromyalgia connection.

However, Attention Deficit folks often, very often, complain of the ailments that are also the symptoms of fibromyalgia. That might the the reason some folks think they are related.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, May-08-07, 05:47

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 179/179/145 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewsie
My daughter is considered the "hyper" ADHD. The reason seemed to be fidgeting. She seems calm on the surface but she is always picking at her fingers, jiggling a leg, etc. The big element for diagnostic purposes was that while being tested, if she began to pick at her fingers, she forgot the question. Some correlation between focusing on that little piece of skin on her finger or focusing on a test question.

I wouldn't have guessed the hyper part although she loves her ballet. She loves the body in motion - graceful motion.

My daughter complains of her body aching all the time. She complains of being tired all the time. I need to look it up, but both tendencies were in her diagnosis as part of the symptoms usually expressed.

Strattera was our first med. We got a quick no from the Dr. after trying it.

Now a very low dose of Wellbutrin is working. She seems like herself - that is no personality change is evident. No appetite or sleep pattern changes. But, like I said the dose is very low.

She is in a more vocational program at a community college What a change in her self image.

My daughter's food preference is always starch. Sugar with starch or butter with starch, but starch.

I have been battleing with the idea of having my son switched to an antideperssant / anti anxiety drug as well. I have read that this actually works better for some people that the stimulant ADHD drugs.

Your post is very uplifting to read. I think the wellbutrin calms her down just a enough so she can be more positive in her self image & not worrying about the other stuff.

As for your other post on the finger picking , and then distracting her from her work , this is my son . Strange things that wouldnt faze most people , distract him.

Lastly , starchy food are pretty much the staple of my son. He rarely eats meat. When he does , its hotdogs , fish sticks or chicken nuggets ( and do they really count as meat?.....lol) . He does eat tons of pizza & peanut butter tho.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Jun-25-07, 21:49

Plan: atkins hybrid
Stats: 210/179/150 Female 65 inches
BF:that's the point.

LOL! The last complaint ANYONE gives me about my fibro is hyperactivity. The brain fog might contribute to diminished concentration, but I still have to tell you it's been a long time since I've pulled an all-nighter for anything. When the fibro is really bad, I have to have help with the housework, hence the complaints.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Jul-10-07, 13:36

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 190/169/140 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

I wonder if years of fidgeting and never sitting still contribute to muscle fatigue from over-stimulation.

My DD has ADD innatentive type. She doesnt' get all fidgety but she daydreams a lot and has trouble focusing. Since starting her (and the rest of the family) on the Feingold Program it's gotten a lot better. I noticed improvements in my own mood (but not in fibro symptoms) when I stick to it as well.