Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Fibromyalgia, CFS, S.A.D.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Mar-25-04, 17:00
Registered Member

Plan: Reduced carbs
Stats: 163/148/132 Female 160
BF:
Progress: 48%
Default Elevated DHEA, normal(ish) cortisol

I got my saliva test results yesterday.

My cortisol is in the reference range (on the edge of the graph) but on the high side in the morning and then it drops a lot during the day.

But my DHEA levels are very elevated. The comment said that this is "clinically significant" and plays a role in panic attacks and hypoglycemia. It has to do with adrenal hyperfunction of the zona reticularis.

My female hormone panel came back within normal levels, although I seem to be a bit low in estrogen and too high in progesterone at certain times in the cycle. Testosterone is normal.

I have CFS and hoped that it was exhausted adrenals that made me tired but it doesn't seem to tie up.

Do you think I have a problem that needs to be investigated further? Do you know what to do to get my adrenals back in balance?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Mar-29-04, 07:21

Plan: original 72 Atkins
Stats: 201/177/142 Female 65 inches
BF:44/44/25
Progress: 41%
Default Hi, Micha2...

I would think a low carb diet would help get your adrenals back to normal.

But you may want to try a relaxation technique too. I got a Tai Chi tape and not only does it seem to be helping the stress, but it is also relieving back ache and feel just all around better. I don't really like doing it to a tape, because you get no feed back on your positions, but I don't have the time right now to invest in a class.

There are some books and info out there (a lot) about tired adrenals. It seems to affect middle-aged women a lot.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Aug-19-04, 13:30

Plan: the zone
Stats: 180/170/130 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 20%
Exclamation congenital adrenal hyperplasia

Micah...your blood values sound like you might have "late onset congenital ADRENAL hyperplasia." PLEASE check into it,
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Aug-19-04, 16:23
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Micah:

Given that you are doing SP, I'm assuming your saliva tests were in response to her recommendations in the book. Did you read SPII because she spends most of that book talking about burned out adrenals? She has great recommendations for it. Also read the sticky on the SP forum b/c there are other websites posted that discuss adrenal fatigue. You'll find the sticky helpful.

In the absence of adrenal disease, if it looks like you're on your way to adrenal fatigue with all the work your adrenals are doing.

My feeling is that if it looks like adrenal fatigue and acts like adrenal fatigue.... treat it like adrenal fatigue. The diagnosis of CFS itself is proof enough.

Interestingly, I came across info that CFS and Fibro are correlated with low Growth Hormone levels. That makes total sense.

Good luck healing!

Wanda
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Aug-20-04, 06:09
Registered Member

BF:

Hi Bonboo and Wanda

Thanks for your responses. I did the test before being 'diagnosed' with CFS to find out what was wrong with me not in connection with SPII (I only have the first book). It was recommended in the book 'The Diet Cure' by Julia Ross.

I think I read up on adrenal hyperplasia (but hope the endo who I saw recently would have known this, too, and would have checked...).

He dismissed the saliva test and did his own blood tests which of course came back negative. I knew anyway that I didn't have Addison's disease coz I had read up on the symptoms. He totally dismissed the DHEA reading and that's the one that concerns me most because I have all the symptoms as described on the summary sheet for the saliva test. He is not going to investigate this further unfortunately which is a bit disappointing. But I guess they only look at disease and not at organs being out of balance.

I somehow think the cortisol is high in the morning (and probably at night) because that's when I am in pain most, so I think my poor adrenals are just trying their best to support me.

My notes now say I have CFS, and although I have a subset of symptoms I am still not convinced, as my main symptoms are muscle and joint pain and stiffness which get better with exercise and worse with sitting and lying down. And obviously I am tired in the morning because the pain doesn't let me sleep well.

The endo doesn't distinguish between CFS and fibro and in the end all he recommended was a course in Pilates (yes, booked a place at once), not sleeping during the day (easier said than done) and trying to do some aerobic exercise (Yes, started to ride my bike again).

I don't get any medication to relieve the pain (tried Amitriptyline for 3 months which wasn't working for me). And I continue to gain weight slowly (isn't DHEA supposed to help people lose weight???) which is very depressing.

Sorry for wallowing in self pity but it is hard to stay positive sometimes.

Thanks for all your support.

Michaela
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Aug-20-04, 07:16
Mad Scientist

BF:

Hi Michaela:

Yes, it doesn't surprise me that your endo discounted it. Dr. Schwarzbein mentions that in her 2nd book b/c they only deal in bell curves, not chronic stress induced disorders (the ol' prevention vs. disease issue).

I'm not sure about the others here, but I would strongly urge you to find an Alternative Doctor who could then interpret your results for you. I got really lucky. My doctor was conventionally trained and then switched over to complementary medicine (after he got sick himself). Many conventional doctors treat people with CFS and Fibro with mild distain, to put it bluntly. Yep, good advice NOT to sleep during the day. Very helpful!

But the high DHEA is odd. The other odd thing is joint pain relieved by exercise. Typically, with low growth hormone, people with CFS and Fibro feel like they've been hit by a truck after exercise. The other thing I found was that ANY medications would aggravate my symptoms. Hence, the need for a doctor who didn't rely on pharmaceuticals.

Anyway, I'm certainly no expert. I'm just someone who lived with it several years ago, but I'm not up on all the current research.

I don't think you're wallowing in self-pity. You're trying to find answers when you aren't getting any help. I hope you'll get through this.

Wanda

--edit-- from what I've read CFS and Fibros have a hard time losing weight b/c their metabolisms are so worn out. You may in fact gain weight before you gain your health back.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Aug-20-04, 13:22
Registered Member

BF:

Hi Wanda

Yes, I think you are right about alternative doctors. I have a list of them that aren't too far away. The endo I saw at the hospital has a special interest in CFS and he sympathetic but couldn't really offer me anything.

When I mentioned to him that I get better with exercise and that the pain is eased by aspirin, he finally did a blood test to check for inflammation (can't believe they didn't do that sooner) I am still waiting for the results.

Yes, it is a bit strange that I cope very well with certain exercise. I have trouble walking uphill or stairs but on a flat surface I can go on for a long time, although sometimes I suddenly lose my energy and then I can't do the other things I had intended to do. But I have absolutely no trouble cycling and it has given me some freedom back, as I can go to places that I wouldn't be able to walk to. So maybe this does tie in with fibro somewhere.

I also have very strange nights, especially if I have not exercised. I fall asleep very quickly, then I start to have pain in my shoulders and all along the back into my bum, my legs burn as if I had done too much exercise and I can't find a comfortable position, so I drift in and out of sleep with the most vivid dreams.

Strangely I don't always feel tired in the morning but rather hung over and wound up at the same time, and I can't wait to get out of bed. At first I am so stiff and painful that I can hardly look down to my feet but a hot shower usually helps. Sitting for longer periods, i.e. at work, drives me crazy, and I want to get up all the time and move around.

Does this sound like anything you have experienced?

Michaela
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Aug-20-04, 15:17
Mad Scientist

BF:

Hi Michaela:

No, my experience was really different. I've never heard of this for people with Fibro/CFS, but as I said before, I am certainly no expert. Have they checked for rheumatoid arthritis? Is the pain on both sides of your body?

I was the opposite. I couldn't do exercise or anything b/c my body was hitting the lactic acid wall on a daily basis just by existing. I remember breaking down in my chiro's office b/c she told me I had to start lifting weights to help my muscles (I didn't know I had fibro at the time and I had so many problems, I never even thought to pursue it). I was in so much pain, I couldn't imagine inflicting even more pain on myself.

Well, like you, sleep was not great to say the least. I always felt like it was very shallow (I was thinking throughout my sleep cycle) and I'd wake up feeling drained, but wired at the same time. Waking up at 5 am was a regular occurrance. Only someone with our sleep problems understands the important role that recovery has during sleep. I never woke up with pain during the night, per se, it was the morning time that was the worst. I can't tell you how many times my muscles went into spasm in the morning upon waking from such poor recovery overnight. It got to the point where I was sleeping with a neck brace, then just leaving the neck brace on during the day as well. God forbid I ever tried to stretch. Yikes! When I finally got help from my doctor, it was an effort just to breath, I was so failure to thrive.

That wired feeling you are experiencing is definately a high cortisol state. Whatever your problem may be is certainly a factor.

Let me know what your results show. Hopefully you can get to the bottom of this. Chronic illness is no picnic, especially these illnesses that seem to be part of our modern society. As you probably know (and yes, I'll repeat it ), it's very important to pamper yourself so you can heal. Listen to your body, get lots of rest, eat well, don't surround yourself with stress. You really need to insulate yourself to get well, at least until you have a proper diagnosis and know where to start. De-stressing, in the meantime, would only do you good.

Take good care,
Wanda
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Aug-22-04, 01:50
Registered Member

BF:

Hi Wanda

From what you describe you must have had a much worse time than me. I have had an infection in 2002 and my tiredness started then, and I guess this is the reason why the various doctors say I have CFS but I never had nowhere near the pain that you describe. I only ever had the odd day off at work when I really couldn't manage and have been working 4 days a week.

I was tested for RA more than 10 years ago because I had raging wrist pain but it came back negative. My current endo is going to check for it again. The pain (in the bum) is often worse on the right side and feels like sciatica.

I have spent an awful lot of money on chiropractors because of numerous recurring misalignments to my spine. I have got a recent x-ray that shows a significant misalignment to my pelvis. The chiro has no idea why this happened, but he is concerned. He urged me to get tested for the HLA B27 gene (to see if I could have ankylosing spondylitis) but because my CRP was normal in my recent blood test, the doctor doesn't want to test for it. How frustrating is this!

I have been worried for some time because AS is a progressive disease and resting would be the worst I can do. I have all the symptoms from morning stiffness down to plantar fasciitis which I have had for many months in my right foot. That's really the reason why I have started riding my bike. And the Pilates would help, too.

I am in a dilemma: Shall I rest because I have (had?) CFS or shall I exercise to avoid disability? I guess the 'not knowing' has made me anxious and I have difficulty relaxing unless I can distract myself like sowing seeds and looking after my plants which is my hobby. I already see a councellor once a week to help with the anxiety and to learn to look after myself better because I have been brought up to push myself. This is a real pig to undo...

From 1 September I am only going to work half days and I am really looking forward to it, so this is a step in the right direction.

Positive mental attitude, this is what we need!

All the best

Michaela
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Aug-22-04, 09:18
Mad Scientist

BF:

Hi Michaela:

The sordid details are on the first page of my journal.

If I was a betting girl, I'd guess the CFS diagnosis was just an attempt at labelling something the doctor couldn't figure out. Your fatigue is certainly explained by chronic pain, not necessarily CFS.

It's frustrating, the reliance on lab values sometimes. Lab results can be a double edged sword sometimes. Could you be more insistent about the test? Or maybe your chiro could refer you to someone who will do it?

Keep perservering until you find the answers!

Wanda
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Aug-23-04, 09:03

BF:
Default Late onset congenital adrenal hyperplasia

I was absolutely convinced that I had adrenal fatigue, and even started slef medicating with various herbs to combat that (probably the worst thing I could have done), when my super high DHEAs alerted my doctor to test me for locah. He did. I have it. I think other doctors might have overlooked it. If your doctor is not intersted in you DHEA level, which comes from the adrenal, I think you need to find another one.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Aug-23-04, 12:31
Registered Member

BF:

Bonboo

Yes, you are absolutely right, I will need to find another doctor. Frustrating that the endo dismissed the saliva tests as unscientific because there are loads of doctors that use them -just not on the national health service. I will have to find a good private doctor that I can afford....And I'll have another read on locah.

Best regards
Michaela
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Aug-23-04, 15:30
Mad Scientist

BF:

Good info to know bonboo. Do you have any good sites?

Wanda
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Aug-23-04, 16:38

BF:

locah can, over time, cause pcos in women. i have both, so my hormones are all over the place! right now i'm taking dexamethasone to bring down my dheas, and avandia to bring down my testosterone.

http://caresfoundation.org/symptoms.html

What is Nonclassical Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia?

Nonclassical CAH (NCAH) [also called Late Onset CAH (locah)] is much more common than Classical CAH. A study of New York residents found it affected 1 in 100 people, appearing to be particularly common among those of Jewish, Hispanic and Italian ethnicity. But, perhaps because it is less severe and harder to recognize than the classical form of the disease, NCAH has not received the attention it deserves as a widespread condition that affects health and quality of life.

NCAH is a variation of CAH that:can begin to cause noticeable changes at any time from early childhood to early adulthood;
is not immediately life-threatening;
has a range of symptoms which overlap with other disorders and therefore may not be easily diagnosed;
is less likely to be diagnosed promptly.

Girls born with NCAH have normal genitals. Boys also appear normal. Because the symptoms begin later in life, NCAH is sometimes called late-onset CAH, adult-onset CAH, or the attenuated form of CAH. Nonclassical CAH does not progress to classical CAH in affected individuals.

NCAH may be picked up in infants through newborn screening tests. They do not necessarily need treatment. Parents can be aware of the symptoms of the disorder and seek treatment if it becomes necessary. Only those children/adults who are symptomatic should be treated. Some with NCAH never experience bothersome symptoms. Those with NCAH who are asymptomatic do not require treatment.

What Are the Symptoms of NCAH?
NCAH symptoms vary from person to person. Also, one person’s symptoms may come and go over time. These symptoms can begin at any time in life and may start in early childhood. These symptoms are often mistaken for premature puberty--girls with signs of puberty before age 8 and boys before age 9. It is progressive, meaning that the untreated symptoms may become worse over time.

Both males and females with NCAH may show the following:
Premature development of body hair (pubic and underarm);
Body odor (young children’s perspiration normally has no odor);
Early, rapid growth spurt, but ultimately short stature as adult (abnormal bone aging, see Figure 5);
Oily hair and skin;
Severe acne;
Anxiety, depression, mood swings, migraines;
Infertility

In females, symptoms most frequently become apparent shortly after the onset of menses and may include the following (as well as those symptoms mentioned above):
Early age of first menstrual period;
Menstrual irregularities;
Baldness, especially at the temples (male pattern baldness);
Excessive hair growth; facial hair on chin and upper lip may be thick, coarse, and dark;
Previous diagnosis or symptoms of Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS).

In males, NCAH can also produce the following:

Early beard growth;
Enlarged penis with comparatively small testes;
Low sperm count;
Short stature.

If these symptoms are present, it’s important, especially in children, to consult a board-certified pediatric endocrinologist or adult endocrinologist.

But My Pediatrician Says These Symptoms Are Not a Problem
Often, parents of NCAH children exhibiting signs of early puberty find that their pediatricians do not take their concerns seriously. With so much press given to early puberty lately, many pediatricians take a “wait and see” attitude. Here are some comments from parents of children with NCAH:

“I was concerned when I noticed my child had body odor at age 5. The doctor didn’t take my worries seriously. This information wasn’t even put into her medical chart.”

“I got the impression the pediatrician was not really listening to my concerns.”

“They shut you down, and say ‘Don’t worry’.”

“When I asked my pediatrician about the pubic hair on my six year old daughter, she said ‘Why are you worrying about a few pubic hairs?’ ”

“Although my pediatrician did run tests at my request that indicated a hormonal imbalance, her first reaction was to underplay my daughter’s symptoms in favor of ‘watchful waiting.’”

If your child has any of the NCAH symptoms, don’t accept a doctor’s downplaying of their importance. Consider evaluation by a pediatric endocrinologist familiar with NCAH. You may also refer your physician to our web site.

Why Hasn’t My Physician Suggested the Possibility of NCAH?
Even when people question their physicians about symptoms, failure to seriously explore the issue is all too common. There are many reasons for this:

NCAH is not well understood by general physicians. Symptoms of NCAH are highly variable, so there is no “typical” case that a doctor can easily recognize.

In children: A widely publicized study suggested recently that the average age of puberty is dropping. Though this study has been disputed, your pediatrician may believe that starting puberty as young as 6 or 7 can be considered “the new norm.” He or she may view it as “merely” a social issue, instead of a medically important sign.

Unlike many inherited diseases, NCAH is not obvious at birth. Physicians may not think in terms of an inherited condition when they see NCAH symptoms appear in an otherwise healthy child.

Physicians have a greater workload nowadays.

What Happens if NCAH is Not Properly Diagnosed and Treated?
Missing the diagnosis of NCAH can have serious consequences. Some common consequences are:

Inefficient treatment: Treatment may be directed at the symptoms of NCAH rather than the disease itself. For example, a child with acne may be treated for just this symptom, while other damaging effects of NCAH continue unchecked. Also, treating the disease itself is more effective that treating the symptoms alone.

Early Puberty: Going through puberty at a very young age can be upsetting-even traumatic.

Hirsutism: Excess hair growth, particularly facial hair in women. Once established it is difficult to treat. Thus, early treatment, prior to puberty, can save a young woman from developing this unpleasant symptom. More on Hirsutism....

Shortened Stature: Bone growth comes to a halt too early in life. As adults, untreated individuals may be shorter in height than they would have been if properly treated. The longer the condition goes untreated, the more potential height is lost. Later treatment can’t bring it back.

Reduced fertility: Females are prone to menstrual difficulties and symptoms of Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS). Men may have lowered sperm counts. Fertility often can be restored with a few months of treatment with glucocorticoids rather than the expensive, often physically and emotionally traumatic standard fertility treatments.

Inability to safeguard the health of the future children of affected individuals: Parents who have had one child with CAH or NCAH may have another affected child; also, that child should know that he or she might pass on the gene to a new generation. In addition, those with nonclassical CAH may carry a classical CAH gene mutation. Those with NCAH should undergo preconception genetic counseling to assess the risk of giving birth to a classical CAH child. Siblings and relatives of affected children may benefit from testing if they have minimal symptoms but are actually affected, or may wish to undergo preconception genetic counseling. Multi-Center Study on Non-Classical CAH in Women of Reproductive Age

What Tests Are Used to Diagnose NCAH?
All testing for NCAH should be conducted by a board-certified adult endocrinologist or pediatric endocrinologist.

In many cases, a single blood test, drawn in the morning and looking at adrenal steroid levels, is sufficient to make the diagnosis of CAH. An ACTH stimulation test is often done to confirm the diagnosis. A dose of ACTH, or adrenocorticotropic hormone, is given intravenously. Blood samples are taken before the medication is given and again a half-hour and hour later.

People without CAH respond to ACTH stimulation by releasing cortisol into the bloodstream. In NCAH blood samples taken after the dose of ACTH show large amounts of 17-OHP, the “raw material” from which cortisol is normally made. The results of the ACTH stimulating test are plotted on a “Nomogram”, see Figure 6 below, to determine whether the values indicate a diagnosis of CAH.

Nomogram for comparing 17-OHP levels before and 60 min after a 0.25 mg iv bolus of cosyntropin in subjects with or without 21-hydroxylase deficiency. Note that the values for normals and heterozygotes (carriers) overlap. (From Speiser and White; Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia due to 21-Hydroxylase Deficiency; Endocrine Reviews 21(3): 245-291; 2000)

DNA testing and certain other hormone tests may also be used to confirm the diagnosis.

ArticleS:
A widespread belief about the onset of puberty in girls is coming under vigorous attack, led by a group of medical specialists who say that it is based on flawed science and that it can have dire medical consequences.

Two professional societies representing endocrinologists have issued a statement saying that despite the conclusion of a widely noted study, it is not yet established that girls typically enter puberty earlier today. The groups urged that girls who appear to be starting sexual development at a young age see a specialist as soon as possible. article

The belief Ñ that girls are now starting puberty as early as age 6 or 7 Ñ began with a single study that critics say has serious problems. The study led some experts to suggest changes in the guidelines used by pediatricians in deciding whether girls whose puberty starts early need to be evaluated by specialists to look for medical problems that might be the cause

http://www.dundee.ac.uk/medther/tay...d%20in%20women?

Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia (CAH) in Adults

What is CAH?

This condition is caused by an inherited defect in one of the enzymes in the adrenal glands. The adrenal glands manufacture the hormone cortisol and aldosterone from a form of fat called cholesterol. The process of making cortisol or aldosterone from cholesterol requires five steps each controlled by at least one activating protein which is called an enzyme. CAH is caused by a fault in one of these enymes which literally runs slow. The effect is that the patient may not make enough cortisol or aldosterone or both.

How does this affect me?

If the patient doesn’t make enough aldosterone then the body can’t retain salt and this is lost in the urine.This is sometimes known as ‘salt wasting’. This doesn’t occur in every patient but in those where it does occur it can vary from very mild to severe.
Cortisol also known as hydrocortisone, maintains many of the body’s systems in good working order especially the circulation and prevents blood glucose from going too low between meals. Without cortisol you would feel tired, listless, lack appetite and feel sick. You would have a low blood pressure and feel light headed and vague. Your blood glucose would at times run low making you feel hypoglycaemic with weak shakey legs, cold and sweaty, blurred vision, headache and a need for sugar. Cortisol particularly helps in combating stress from injury or illness and without sufficient supply you would be very ill indeed and need hospital admission even for infections considered slight by others without CAH e.g. head cold or mild flu.
The low levels of cortisol reaching the brain makes the head hormone controlling gland called the pituitary release a signal to the adrenal glands called ACTH to speed up the manufacturing of cortisol by switching on all the enzymes along the five steps of production. However the CAH patient has one faulty enzyme so a backlog of partly processed hormone builds up. The adrenal gland has then to channel away this build up or the adrenal would silt up. The adrenal has one other route and this it opens up allowing the partly processed hormones to be manufactured into male hormone called androgen. This androgen builds up in the blood and causes many problems especially in females. If this occurs in babies then the genitalia of females can look like a baby boy, children both boys and girls then enter puberty early and growth is stunted. However if this continues untreated after puberty then the woman becomes more male like, hairy, and infertile.
What types of CAH are there?

Many cases of CAH are found at birth or in children and are treated early. There is another type where the enzyme fault is slight and only becomes apparent at puberty when it has to work harder and its inability to speed up becomes apparent. This is called ‘non classical or cryptogenic’ CAH. Others call this ‘adult onset’ CAH. This pamphlet only describes this type of CAH and also the treatment of adult patients with CAH. For a guide concerning babies and children please see the CAH Support Group website on www.cah.org.uk

What symptoms does a person have who develops CAH as an adult?

The adult onset form is far less severe than the childhood version and usually never produces salt wasting. Often cortisol production is only slightly sluggish and only causes bother during stress such as illness or injury. Patients however may feel tired and listless at all times. The real trouble arises from the over production of the androgen. In the male this is unlikely to be ever noticed but the women certainly notices a change. She becomes more male like;

Extra hairs develop over the face, neck , breasts and body especially up the front of the abdomen.
The voice may become deeper
Greasy skin and hair with acne.
Period may never develop, be very irregular or stop
Infertility
How is adult onset CAH diagnosed in women?

The doctor will measure androgen in the blood and note that it is far higher than expected for a woman. Then the blood will be tested for the partly processed hormones. In practice the commonest fault in over 95% of patients occurs in an enzyme called 21 hydroxylase . The partly processed backlog hormone in this variety of CAH is called 17 hydroxyprogesterone and this is the hormone the doctor will measure. If it is high then the patient has CAH. Another hormone sometimes measured is ACTH which is overproduced by the head hormone gland the pituitary. To check for salt wasting the hormone renin may also be measured. Sometimes the condition requires another test called a synacthen test. In this ACTH is injected and the doctor measures the rise in 17 hydroxyprogesterone. This is often required in borderline cases where the faulty enzyme is only slightly affected and needs to be overworked to show that it is defective.

How is it treated?

If you remember the fault in CAH is an under production of cortisol. This is easily replaced by giving the medicine hydrocortisone. This is usually given two or three times per day and is tailored to each patient’s needs as shown by their blood chemistry. Sometimes other cortisol replacement medicines are used such as prednisolone or dexamethasone for these have a longer action and can be given once per day. However patients react differently to these medicines especially dexamethasone and put on weight and such patients may be better on hydrocortisone even if it has to be taken 2 or 3 times per day. Another point to make is that often the specialist after measuring your chemistry may recommend that you take more hydrocortisone in the evening than in the morning. This is often done to suppress androgen hormone production during the night which is the peak time for production in everyone. In a few patients salt wastage may require replacement with the hormone fludrocortisone but this is not usual for the adult onset type of CAH.

What should I do if I develop an illness such as flu?

During times of stress such as illness or injury then you should double your steroid intake until you are better. Any vomiting or diarrhoea then contact your doctor immediately and be seen that day. Otherwise come into A+E. Always carry a card or Medialert badge, pendant or bracelet in case of emergency for it is essential doctors know you are on steroid treatment and why.

How does the specialist monitor your CAH?

This is done in adults by measuring the hormone 17 hydroxy progesterone known as 17OHP. Often the androgens may also be measured.

Is there a genetic test?

CAH is an inherited disorder and is passed onto you by both of your parents in the genes. Each cell has a set of instructions called genes which are stored in the cell as threadlike structures called chromosomes. Everyone has 23 pairs of chromosomes, one set from their father, the other from their mother. Each chromosome has thousands of genes each controlling some process the body requires.In the commonest form of CAH, the enzyme 21 hydroxylase is faulty. This is due to a fault in one gene only in chromosome number 6. The patient has a faulty gene on each of their two chromosome number 6 inherited from their mother and father. The reason why your mother or father do not seem to have your condition is that each has only one faulty gene whereas their second gene is healthy and compensates for the others fault. However you have have inherited the faulty gene from both your mother and father and that is why you have the condition. Your brother or sister might also have inherited the condition but may have not. They then may have inherited two healthy genes or be carriers having inherited one faulty gene from one or other parent and one healthy gene from the other. Your parents were carriers and had a 1 in 4 chance of passing the clinical condition to a child. In other words out of 4 children born to your parents the chance is that one will have clinical CAH, two will be carriers and one will not. Genetic studies on you and your family will identify the gene and will allow the doctor to say who in your family are carriers.

How common is CAH?

In Europe CAH occurs in 1 in 5000 people. The carrier state is found far more frequently in 1 in 37 people. So the chances of both parents being carriers is not high unless they are closely related.

Will I pass the condition onto my family?

To answer this question the gene will be measured in your partner. If your partner is a carrier then there is a 1 in 4 chance of one child being affected with clinical CAH and two being carriers. If your partner does has healthy genes then none of your children will develop the condition but some may be carriers. Genetic studies on your children will detect the carriers.

Can I get pregnant if I have CAH?

Yes, once you are under treatment.

Can CAH be detected in the unborn baby and can this be treated before birth?

Yes. During the pregnancy the patient with CAH continues taking the hydrocortisone as before. This hormone passes across to the unborn baby and automatically corrects any fault if baby has inherited CAH. During the pregnancy the dose of hydrocortisone will be monitored by measuring another hormone called androstenedione as 17 hydroxy progesterone is always elevated in pregnant women and cannot be used to monitor CAH.

However if you are the parent of a child with CAH you no doubt want to be sure that if the unborn baby has inherited CAH then it is treated before birth. This is done by testing the unborn baby for CAH by taking a sample of tissue from the neck of the womb (chorionic villous sampling) or amniotic fluid early on in the pregnancy. This is then genetically tested to see if the unborn baby has CAH and also to determine its sex. Of course the doctors do not know the answer till nearly 14 weeks of the pregnancy so it is likely that they will ask you to take dexamethasone until the answer is known. If the unborn baby does not have CAH or is a carrier but is unaffected then the dexamethasone will be stopped and all will be well. However if the unborn baby has CAH and is a girl then the dexamethasone will be continued till baby is born. This is essential in unborn girls to prevent a build up of androgen turning their genitalia into that resembling boys. If the unborn baby is a boy then the specialist may advise stopping the mother’s dexamethasone as excessive male production in the unborn boy causes no problem. Of course affected babies will need treatment after birth.

Can I expect to live as long as others?

CAH does not reduce your life expectancy and you can expect to live a normal life

Does hydrocortisone remove my excess hairs?

In most patients it will but some require to take the medicine Dianette either alone or with cyproterone acetate for up to a year to remove unwanted and persistent hairs. Some hairs on the legs and arms are natural and cannot be removed by this method. These require removal by dilapatory creams or shaving as most women require to do who do not have CAH.

Is surgical correction ever required?

This pamphlet maily concerns treatment in adults most having developed the condition in adulthood.Some may have developed CAH in puberty or earlier and have been diagnosed later. Such patients may have genitalia requiring some plastic surgery mainly to shorten the clitoris or even open the vagina. This will be done by expert surgeons as quickly as possible.

I am a man so what about me?

If you are diagnosed as having CAH this is usually when you were a child. Normally your hydrocortisone will be continued as will the fludrocortisone if you require this. You will not require surgical correction. In mild conditions of CAH developed in adulthood then no treatment may be required. Your specialist will advise. Nevertheless genetic testing of yourself, your spouse/partner and children is essential.

Where can I get more information?

Why not contact the CAH Support Group at

CLIMB, The Quadrangle, Crewe Hall, Weston Road, Crewe, CW1 6UR

Telephone 01270 250221

www.cah.org.uk

or the Adrenal Hyperplasia Network at www.ahn.org.uk

http://www.endo-society.org/pubaffai/factshee/cah.htm
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Aug-24-04, 17:00
Mad Scientist

BF:

Hi Bonboo:

Great info! Thank you. Wow, a lifetime of hydrocortisone. That must be a life-saving double edged sword.

Thanks again.

Wanda