Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Fibromyalgia, CFS, S.A.D.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Oct-13-05, 07:07
Registered Member

Plan: my own plan
Stats: 278.3/277.2/170 Female 5 ft 4 in
BF:
Progress: 1%
Default fibro or lupus and aspartame

I am new to altering my diet for my healths sake. I have been sick a very long time. I have two kids, 11 and 6 (quite a handful). I have fibro and lupus amoung other things.

Most days the must do's in a day are all I can do, get the kids to school and fed ect. As I grow and adjust in and to my illness' I am now trying to implement more healthy choices (as I can) like a better diet.

I chose to start by eliminating coke from my diet. It was my best friend. I have told all my doctors I think it is the only med for me that actually has helped in anyway. The calories however are too high and I drank way too much of it. Years ago I was on many diets many times and failed so this time I am starting slowly and careful and making small adjustments at a time. The dive in headfirst has never worked for me.

Because I grew up drinking soda, and never really drank any water, I find drinking water to be a very nauseating experience. So I have begun to include more water in my diet but also needed a beverage to help transition me from cokeaholic to water drinker. So I have been drinking a variety of things.

There are fibro boards very much like these boards on the web to help fbromites and over the years I have heard many people talk about how bad aspartame made them feel. I now 100% agree. I had some equel packets here had used a few, not felt well and stoped. Felt better. Restarted them and feeling horrible. In my mind I have no doubt the aspartame has sent me flaring again. Never again will I use aspartame.

I mainly wanted to post here today for other fibromites who may not have heard of the connection between fibro and aspartame. I do realize many low carbers are against artificial sweetening of any kind. I am also already using many of the tricks to help me increase my water amount while easing the nausea. But for me slow and steady wins the race.

I hope this helps someone.

Suzi
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Oct-13-05, 08:00
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

Vitamin D also helps fibro and lupus as both these sufferers have been found deficient in vitamin D. Just remember that you should never take vitamin D without adequate calcium and magnesium.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jan-10-06, 08:26
Registered Member

Plan: my own plan
Stats: 278.3/277.2/170 Female 5 ft 4 in
BF:
Progress: 1%
Default A quick update :)

I have recently found that I can drink 1-2 diet cokes a day without any increase in fibro symptoms.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jan-10-06, 08:57
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I've recently given up diet sodas and my TMJ seems a lot better. But I've made a lot of dietary changes so it is a little hard to say just yet.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jan-10-06, 14:13

Plan: Aspiring Paleo
Stats: 144/136/127 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 47%

I drink diet soda and tolerate it just fine. I use splenda when sweetening anything else. It's the wheat that gets me. I sorta "fell of the wagon" and boy am I sick now. I am hoping I get it under control before they put me back on my meds and steroids. My hands swelled up, my nuckles are red, and my range of motion is gone. I thought I could sneak some (okay, a lot) in and I wouldn't get sick. DUMB, DUMB, DUMB.

Ha ha

--Andie
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Apr-14-07, 20:04

Plan: Healthy moderate carb
Stats: 215/171/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 80%

My sister is in the medical records fields and there is a ton of documented medical evidence about the damage aspartame can do to someone with Fibro. I stopped all aspartame as soon as I was diagnosed in 05 and have never had flares as I did when ingesting aspartame.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Oct-12-07, 12:08
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzib4ut
I am new to altering my diet for my healths sake. I have been sick a very long time. I have two kids, 11 and 6 (quite a handful). I have fibro and lupus amoung other things.

Most days the must do's in a day are all I can do, get the kids to school and fed ect. As I grow and adjust in and to my illness' I am now trying to implement more healthy choices (as I can) like a better diet.

I chose to start by eliminating coke from my diet. It was my best friend. I have told all my doctors I think it is the only med for me that actually has helped in anyway. The calories however are too high and I drank way too much of it. Years ago I was on many diets many times and failed so this time I am starting slowly and careful and making small adjustments at a time. The dive in headfirst has never worked for me.

Because I grew up drinking soda, and never really drank any water, I find drinking water to be a very nauseating experience. So I have begun to include more water in my diet but also needed a beverage to help transition me from cokeaholic to water drinker. So I have been drinking a variety of things.

There are fibro boards very much like these boards on the web to help fbromites and over the years I have heard many people talk about how bad aspartame made them feel. I now 100% agree. I had some equel packets here had used a few, not felt well and stoped. Felt better. Restarted them and feeling horrible. In my mind I have no doubt the aspartame has sent me flaring again. Never again will I use aspartame.

I mainly wanted to post here today for other fibromites who may not have heard of the connection between fibro and aspartame. I do realize many low carbers are against artificial sweetening of any kind. I am also already using many of the tricks to help me increase my water amount while easing the nausea. But for me slow and steady wins the race.

I hope this helps someone.

Suzi

I've switched to diet soda with splenda, but wonder what horrible things will be revealed about splenda down the road. I have trouble drinking enough water - when I drink enough, I crave it, but when I don't, then it's a real struggle to increase it. I used to set a timer on my PC at work - I should do that again. Thanks for the tips!
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Nov-18-07, 13:16

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 190/169/140 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

Oh, I never used aspartame, even long before trying out LC eating. I don't respond well to chemicals of any kind- in foods, inhaled/smelled, or in personal care products. I use a lot of stevia right now. I don't particularly trust splenda either- maybe I'd tolerate it just fine but I don't feel like finding out the hard way!
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Dec-19-07, 15:37
Lara Croft n Progres

Plan: M&E
Stats: 198/150/125 Female 5 feet 9 inches
BF:who you calln fat?
Progress: 66%

I agree, artificial anything is just plain bad news..I have Lupus and it does reck havoc when I have tried it, ( sweet n low or splenda) even in the smallest amounts..l have to stay near a rest room, and lets not forget the headaches!! ugh!